1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCIE SB or EAX in win7

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by austin865a, Jul 11, 2018.

1. austin865a

austin865a Member

GPU:
    980ti sli
    I need a PCI-e sound blaster that I can use with alchemy for EAX support. I play alot of older games and some have alot of problems without EAX.

I'm rather dated on sound cards and thought I asked.
    So what would be a good new or used SB that supports alchemy and 7 and is pcie for around 50$ or less?
    I'm using a sound blaster audigy 2 zs right now. and will not be able to use it on my new x299 system do it it being a pci card.
    I'll be using with a DIY tube amp and a old set of akg k240 sextetts

Thanks.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Used Sound Blaster Z or Zx is probably the best option, bulk Z is quite a bit cheaper than the retail packed Z.

austin865a likes this.
  3. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Just to throw it out there, I have a Creative X-Fi USB HD external, and still is supported, and has full Alchemy support. And since it's USB, no need to worry about PCIe, and getting the soundcard out of the PC case is a plus, and easily transfers to whatever you use later, esp for notebooks. The 116dB SNR is really great for a great headphone setup, and use the rear line-out vs the Headphone jack, as it has more amperage. Also note, the card has no native 44.1 support. Creative never put the appropriate crystal in it, tho I deal with this in FB2K with the PHP Resampler.

Retails for $99, but seen it for less if you shop around.

4. austin865a

austin865a Member

GPU:
    980ti sli
    thanks for the advice, also I forgot to say this. I need a internal cd audio input too.

5. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Why in Heaven's name would you want that? Doing so uses the CD's internal DAC setup to output analog, instead of the superior soundcard offerings.

6. austin865a

austin865a Member

GPU:
    980ti sli
    Once more I play old games, many use CD music and will not work without the cable going from the CD drive to the sound card. I never had a problem with the audio quality from it. I did not hear any difference when playing the music directly from my audigy. The music quality form these old games aren't the best to begin with and I have a rather pricey dvd and CD drive from the late 90s when the DACs used in the drives could still be rather good.

Ripping the music and messing ISO mounting apps it not wroth the trouble.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 4:14 PM
  7. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I am using the software Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 and I also play retro games in emulators, ScummVM and DosBox. It works with CD Audio and Speech via ISOs. So you can make an ISO image of your CDROMs and play all the audio via pure digital audio.

Note this uses one of your CPU cores but for retro gaming, this is NO problem as old games are single cpu mostly.

If you must go pure hardware, I would suggest to get an X-Fi PCIE if you can or the new SB cards but it won't take advantage of the newest SB cards.

8. austin865a

austin865a Member

GPU:
    980ti sli
    Dose the Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 allow for EXA support under 7 and would it work with none SB cards?
    I can't seem to find and PCI-e SB that has a internal cd input on the card.
    could I make a simple cable with a 3.5mm on one end and use the line/mic input or wire it up the the input on the
    HD audio front panel connector and use the what you hear thing?

9. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Yes, it does work for EAX under Windows 7 (I am using W7Pro) as you can test old games with EAX. I can run Half-Life and it will detect EAX for example.

If you have some games you want me to test, let me know.

I am unsure about the X-Fi cable but I remember even in XP, the SB cards (I had an Audigy) can pull CD audio digitally back to the audio ports because it will read the audio in digital, not analog.

You can test this just by adding ANY cdrom and put a music cd into it WITHOUT plugging in the cdrom audio cable to the sound card.

Also, this will playback using the onboard or sound card DACs without the crappy cheap audio cable adding noise.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 7:22 AM
    austin865a likes this.
  10. austin865a

austin865a Member

GPU:
    980ti sli
    Yeah I know that can work, but I have ran into a few early games that can get finicky without the 4pin audio cable. They tend to just not work or skip tracks. I have a custom DIY cable that is much better the the crud that ships with CD drives and sound cards. But I think I'll have to go without it as I'm not seeing any pcie cards with it.

If I do run into games that have trouble with it I guess I could use a CD iso mounting app or maybe track down a copy on gog or something.
    Also I read that the Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 app on;y works with cretin motherboards on board sound, is that true?

11. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I think there may be limitations on certain MB or compatible codecs. Check the MB you intend to buy and look it up here:

http://software.store.creative.com/p/software/sound-blaster-x-fi-mb3

Most onboard realtek codec would work but do double check with newer MBs.

Also, I recommend you consider buying it on AMAZON as they will refund you if it does NOT work.