PCIe Gen 4.0 x8 based NVMe SSD-controller surfaces

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The newly announced Flashtec NVMe 3016 Gen 4 PCIe controller is sampling to early adopter customers. As the industry’s first enterprise controller of its kind, the NVMe 3016 addresses market...

PCIe Gen 4.0 x8 based NVMe SSD-controller surfaces

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    It won't be long now before PCIe 4.0 starts showing up in CPU's/Chipsets.
    Should be quite a boon for Expansion slots, especially NVMe drives.
    Lets just hope we'll be seeing more than 16/20 available for the mainstream desktop.
    I'm hoping for 32 by the time the next Ryzen's come around at 7nm.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes, I hope there's more PCIe lanes for Ryzen2, at least on the "better" chipset mainboards (just throwing out "570" in lack of better knowledge)

4. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    if amd was working on pciex 4.0 for ryzen 2 i think they would have spelled it loud.
    I do not think we will get it with either ryzen2 or the next intel after the 9000 series.

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I think it will be there for the Server parts at least soon on intel's side.
    Seeing as its backwards compatible with PCIe 3.0, there would be no reason to not go PCIE 4.0, if it was at all possible.
    Anything that uses bandwidth, Raid cards, M2 cards, PCIe SSD's, 10GbE would love some more bandwidth.

edit : I'm pretty sure there are enough pins on AM4 to get another 16 PCIe lanes in there.
    PCIe 4.0 would just be the icing on the cake.
    Intel doesn't have enough pins to add anything alse currently, so that would mean a new socket.

It would leave TR with 64 PCIe lanes, AM4 with 32, and Server parts with 64+.

6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    They are not. They have said when they replace the AM4 socket is when they would bring in PCIE 4. Of course things change but that was last I heard of it.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't see why anyone with an AM4 platform would buy an SSD with this controller anyway. This seems to pretty obviously targeted toward workstations or servers. I'm sure this will be crazy expensive.

8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    remains to see now how long till actual pci4 surfaces for consumers !

9. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Since 4.0 is double the bandwidth of 3.0, there's not much chance of that, or even a need for it.

There's very little out there in the workstation/enthusiast space that will need more than an x2 slot worth of bandwidth, and practically nothing that needs more than an x4, let alone an x8 or x16. Even top of the line GPUs only need a PCIe 3.0 x8 slot, so a 4.0 x16 slot (equivalent to a 3.0 x32 slot) would be serious overkill. It will be years before anything really needs anything near that much bandwidth outside of the enterprise server market, which has been stymied by PCIe 3.0 for years already for storage and GPU bandwidth.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Even 3.0 x16 slots are highly unnecessary. At this point, pretty much the only need for x16 slots is forward-compatibility (where a device may need more bandwidth that a 3.0 x8 slot won't support). Otherwise, they just needlessly take up space and resources.

tunejunky likes this.

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    preach reverend.

as the rise in capabilities of gpu's increased and the need for sli/xfire eliminated allowing for ITX to rise in popularity, so mATX, and ATX/eATX became niche products for the pro/am and enthusiast market.

but in Hollywood and "the cloud", this kind of storage speed is fast becoming a necessity.

12. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    PCIe 4.0 in 2019 and PCIe 5.0 in 2021.

EDIT: Don't ask me how I know. Because I can't reveal that.

Venix likes this.
  13. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    while i do not need the speeds is good to have it before is needed ... i mean ... we need sata 4 2 years ago :p and i use the word need loosely here just because it was about the time even the cheap models where maxing sata 3 ((talking consumer needs purely ))

craycray likes this.
  14. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    In time for Ryzen 2 or late 2019?

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Doors for fully working external GPUs are partly open with PCIe 4.0. And with PCIe 5.0 this is going to be huge market.

With PCIe 5.0 you only need 2 lanes to have bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 x8 which is sufficient to extract like 95%+ of performance of any modern single GPU around.
    So, cable like USB-C will do. I expect that some manufacturers will create some standard.

It will easily overshadow Thunderbolt in notebooks. It is only thing I currently consider insufficient on Zen platform.

16. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I swear, it is a pure coincidence :)

EDIT: I think I have said too much. Going away for now.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    FranciscoCL likes this.
  17. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Spot on. Certain CPU manufacturer needs higher B/W, to be able to push more sockets on a single motherboard for their 'server cpu' line.