PCI-SIG point finger towards partners for issues with burnt 16-pin 12VHPWR cables

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    This news reminds me, i havn't seen any melting reports anymore.

3. clopezi

clopezi Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Because the problem was bad connected cable, so people now are embarrassed and don't say in public, or maybe all people has learn now the lesson...

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yet there's still an ongoing class action lawsuit in the land of the courthouse lizards.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    don't worry, Lucas is getting crap on everywhere.

6. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    The root of the issue the 4 sense pins. The connector is so small that it can FEEL seated all the way in, but if you don't look close it could actually be slightly lose. The 4 sense pins are SUPPOSED to protect against that, but the way they're made right now means the four sense pins could be making full contact while the actual connector itself isn't pushed all the way in.

The sense pins are only supposed to contact when the connector is fully seated, but as it stands it connects enough even before a fully-seated connection is made.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    JAMVA likes this.
  7. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    The picture in the article with the temps is all well and good, but what a mess that's going to look in your case with the cables like that.
    It's not shocking news that pc builders do cable management, maybe a couple of different angled connectors bundled with the pretty damned expensive GPU would have avoided this.

Solfaur likes this.
  8. Racklefratz

Racklefratz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Which says to me that, of the total population of RTX 4090 buyers, only a few were careless and/or fumble-fingered enough to mis-install the adapter cable. Yes, I concede that the cable might have been designed to be more idiot-proof, but it does seem now that when it's carefully installed, it does its job.

Happy Gigabyte RTX 4090 OC Gaming owner here, and so far, it's still going strong with the provided adapter cable.

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    People who install the gfx card first are most likely afraid to push down hard enough to make a clean connection. Hence the suggestion to plug the cable in first then mount your gfx card second.

With there being 16 pins to connect it will need a very firm force applied especially if it's a tight fit. Also after you have installed the 12 pin side there's 3 or 4 8 pins needed to finish the job. While fitting the 4 x 8 pins you may rock the 12 pin back and forth causing it to rise on one side.

This is human error but the whole thing skinks of a bad design in the first place plus 600W doesn't help. If i had one of these i'd be scared to leave the PC on over night.

10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That cable is just dumb designed and bad thought.
    Smaller cables for more power and bigger GPUs? That doesn't make any sense at all, especially if you cannot band it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It works fine at 900 Watts even.

It just needs some small changes to prevent improper seating.

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    it just need thicker cables, thicker seal, thicker connectors and so the ability to band... oh wait that's the 8-pin connectors we already have. Thinking about GPU of 600-900W is just damn stupid and insane.

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    4090 doesn't even use 450 Watts, let alone 600.

14. semantics

semantics Member

GPU:
    N/A
    It really doesn't, an arcing connection due to a poor connection wont be preventing by making everything beefer.
    It need adjustments to the pin lengths and shape/clearances and a rework of the latching mechanism to make it harder to improperly connect without noticing.

Right now the connector feels tight as you seat it further in which gives the false impression that you fully seated it. Nvidia's has the connectors being hidden in semi recessed covers in the middle of the card making it hard to see; plus it lacks a strong detent to feel the difference has lead to improper connections.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Cant believe people still simping for Nvidia.

Keitosha likes this.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Does anyone have statistics of how many melted (out of the 160,000 cards sold)?

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Only between 30 and 40 known reported on the official reddit, no idea about silent reports.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I wonder how many would remain silent when their $1600 card is out of commission.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I think it's more likely that there have been enough people who became aware of the issue before they themselves faced it, so they took preventative action. Even though the connector objectively has a design flaw, it is possible to use it without it burning. So, I think most people were just like "I'll just make sure it's extra tight" rather than deal with anything else.

chispy likes this.
  20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Doesn't matter how much power uses the 4090 in average, using a thin connector like that on a huge GPU that doesn't fit well on most of tower cases (or doesn't fit at all) is dumb. That connector creates more problem that what it solves. huge GPUs don't PCB space problems, the coolers surface is actually bigger than the PCB. it is just dumb design. Also going to 450-600W GPUs is mindfuck stupid.
    how many bad connected cable come in a row like that with the rock solid bend proved old 8 pin connector?