1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCI latency? a Q for Gurus

Discussion in 'Links' started by Emile, Jan 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. buggerlugs

buggerlugs New Member

I've recently been having issues with my sblive. Basically I noticed my rear speakers didn't work with the windows WDM driver, so i installed the live-software drive and whilst this cured the problem it introduced a snap-crackle-n-pop associated with the kt266A motherboard.

I've removed my sb-live card now and i'm using the c-media CMI8738 soundchip thats on the motherboard. I think the sound quality is actually better than the sb-live and the rear speakers work.

There is still a crack when windows sounds play however (ya know like asterisks, or critical stop sound events), i also notice sound jumps during divx playback when the harddisk is in use. I presume this is down to my graphics card having a high pci-latency setting which is hogging the pci-bus causing a lack of enough update for the sound.

My motherboard a A7V266-E (kt266a) has a pci-latency timer setting which in the bios is set to 32. On using the pci-latency tool most things are set to 32, IDE and other controllers are set to 0. i'm not seeing my graphics card (geforce 5700LE) in the list so i'm in no position to turn its pci latency down.

Any idea folks?

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    i get similar problems but i used different drivers for another sound card
    i used sblive 24bit drivers for my sblive1024 it fixed it now try with different drivers

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    fs2004 is crap with the 6xxxseries you need the Fx series for that

eg my 6600 agp 256mb runs
    @ 1280x960 high settings 20-30fps

and my fx5200 bfgtech stock (PCI) @ 70-90-100@times

4. Nitebird

Nitebird Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GS (unlocked)
    I usually use Enditall and ProcessView to shut down most of my background apps before booting up games. With PCI Latency Tool (I'm using the latest v3), does the LtcyCfgSvc.exe still need to be running in the background to store the values? Or can I disable it like I do other apps, and will the video card still be at the value of 64 that I set it at?
    In other words, if I disable LtcyCfgSvc.exe, will the value reset to 248 until PCI Latency Tool is ran again?
    tia

ps:
    I run FS2004 and any other flight sim on a BFG6600GT no problems, smooth as butter on high settings, maybe it's just your system that's crap.

5. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I have nothing in my pci slots soaking up space so does that mean I can bump the agp to pci bridge and the video cards latency up from 32? Like up to 248? Or would that cause a problem? Maybe 64 or 128 would be good. I'm just trying to squeeze some extra performance outta this 6600gt before I upgrade.

6. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 FTW
    I use the pci latency tool and always set mine at 64 and have never had any problems at that setting.

7. hoytt

hoytt New Member

Ive been having some problems with this versions(3.1). I orignally had 2.0 and it worked fawlessly but now my graphics card doesnt even show up.
    I installed the x86.msi and ran the PCI Latency tool and this is what showed up.
    http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/6030/untitled4jl.jpg

Im running a FX 5700LE AGP and have the lastest nVIDIA drivers (81.98 WHQL).

Fixed it. Nevermind.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  8. bucdan

bucdan Member

im having probs too... how do i fix it? my vid card doesnt show up....i have a ati radeon AIW 8500DV how and an nforce2 chipset... how do i get my vid card name to show up?

EDIT:
    im not sure whats wrong..... a nforce 2 chipset.... and thats all....

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  9. painter

painter Maha Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 670 2GB
    Thought I'd give this tool a try...BUT why is my graphics card not showing?

10. SWEBarb

SWEBarb Active Member

GPU:
    Evga Geforce GTX 750 Ti
    Can you change the latency on PCI e motherboard for your onboard sound ??

11. whoeis

whoeis New Member

This is what I got

What should I change it too?

[​IMG]

Please help me! :hit:

12. smapty

smapty Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GT x2 (SLI) Stock
    Usually most people find 64 to be the golden number for agp latency.

13. whoeis

whoeis New Member

So I should change my graphic card latency to 64 instead of 32?:speed:

14. Scief

Scief Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT @Ultra
    Whoa, I never had a clue that there is a program like this. I've seen the thread, but I thought it was about something very different. And know I find out that there is an über trick like this. Anyway, I've been having some SERIOUS problems with my pc, after reformat I haven't been able to play games at all. They all run under 13fps with every settings. Right now I'm waiting for a new PSU.

But for this tool, I thought I'd give it a try, but I I have the same problem as some users above: My VGA card is not listed! I read few pages of this thread, and tool thing seems like a miracle. You said you got it fixed, care to tell me, I'd really like to test if it does anything.

Here's a linky, I've tried 77.77 and 84.21 drivers.
    [​IMG]

15. sup2069

sup2069 New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X850XTPE 256MB
    Anyone getting sound issues with the new tombraider demo? I tried the program, but no luck :(

16. Dlyan

Dlyan Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800GS Extreme Edition 440/650
    Hi i'm new here and i need your help.
    [​IMG]

any suggest ?

In the bios the pci latency is 128, i must set it to what ?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  17. Scief

Scief Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT @Ultra
    Oh come on, I'm sure someone knows why my video card isn't there, at least you hoytt.

18. bartm

bartm New Member

i have the same issue. only thing i can think of right now is that it is because i'm logged on using Remote Desktop. Need to try locally on my machine to see if i still have that problem.

19. childrenofthedr

childrenofthedr New Member

Help with a Compaq Presario Laptop with ATI xpress 200M

Hey fellas, I tried to install this PCI Latency tool on my laptop. I did not notice much differences for Sin: Emergence before and after latency changes (for the ATI card from 255 to 64). But the funny thing is, I was no longer able to run F.E.A.R. now nor could I run Battlefield 2....I tried to uninstall the PCI latency tool and also system restore...no difference, still can't run these two games. The funny thing is that when I tired to reinstall the PCI latency tool, it also is installing some "hardware" component with a "device instance id" of root\ltcycfg_drv\0000. of course my computer doesn't have a driver for that device. i could use some help, thx.

my specs:

AMD mobile sempron processor (i forget the clock range)
    512mb ram
    ati card (integrated memory) max of 128mb

thx man....

20. childrenofthedr

childrenofthedr New Member