PCI-E x16 @ x2 bug

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by akbaar, Jun 2, 2020.

1. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 STRIX
    [​IMG]

this problem popped up, from no where,,
    I tried Reseating the cpu, reseating the gpu , cleaned the contacts with legit cleaners from good source,
    tried reflashing motheboard BIOS with diffrent versions, reset to defaults, flashed the the gpu with different bioses too, changed cables,

any ideas? you think that ME firmware is the culprit ? what is the problem u might think ?
    do you think the motherboard is shortcutted somehow? or the gpu is failing ? although am playing games good but i know it is not going over 60fps and am getting slight delays somtimes,

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
    With out knowing your specs I`d say youve already used up you pci-e lanes on nvme/ssd

3. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    RTX2070 SUPER
    Hard to say, it could be failing gfx card or PCIE slot is not working correctly anymore.
    You already tried to reset the GPU card, so now it would be good to try your card in some other motherboard if possible.

akbaar likes this.
  4. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 STRIX
    yeah i didnt have that problem before, i have mini ITX ASUS Maximus impactVIII with one PCI-e x16 and one NVME intel 750 i even disconnect the NVME and disabled it in the bios still problem exists.

will try my best to try out the gpu on other motherboard, but for now i dont have spare motherboard to try on so it will take time to find spare motherboard outside the covid.

hmm what else is there to try out to do with motherboard or gpu? should i downgrade ME firmware? because it was ok on my current ME firmware, hmm

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    why would me firmware have any thing to do with this?

6. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 STRIX
    not sure, just guessing because i updated my ME firmware fairly recent .. with this version
    http://www.station-drivers.com/inde...tory&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=4359&lang=en
    Intel Management Engine (ME) Firmware Version 11.8.77.3664 (S&H)(1.5Mo)

i also have USB3.1 and had it "enabled always" in the BIOS, and used some SBM board to feed it power, do you think that it may have shortcuted the motherboard.. because in the BIOS discription, there was some warning having the port always on ... and it may be dangerous and harm the motherboard.

7. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 STRIX
    am not sure yet,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i still cant pin point the problem, changed the power cable, changed wall socket, removed little pressure from cpu by the watercooler, cleaned the pci-e slot,
    do the iGPU got something to do with it ? hmmm

edit: you think there is powersaving feature i dont know about maybe is doing this? how is that it states that my mobo supports 16x , but its only receiving 2x

8. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 STRIX
    i tried cleaning the cpu bottom part of it, still same issue, hmmm

9. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    ME update could have done this. Do you have the old version to revert to?
    Did you get any warning during flash itself? What do you mean by BIOS (where you got the warning)? Don't tell me you flashed ME manually and ignored a warning during flash ... only flash if there is NO warning at all.

Good luck! ;)

akbaar likes this.
  10. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 STRIX
    yes i have old ME .
    yes i did manually but am sure there was no warning , i usually do it on regular basis with no problems.
    hmmm if ME is the problem i will need to do remove bios chip and reformat it manually using usb device.

Edit: do you know why ME would have been the problem?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020

11. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Regarding to why I suspected ME being the root cause:
    ME is the central management component which manages all your devices on your mainboard like wireless, AMT, chipset, thermal guards, Watchdog(-s), etc.

Did you flash an official BIOS (then I wouldn't suspect ME being the culprit) or did you flash only the ME oprom as 1.5 or 5MB bin file?

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ME does not manage anything to do with the cpu's PCIE controller, it only has a hand in components integrated on the mainboard.

13. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 STRIX
    ok... got it... somebody said bent motherboard pins for cpu can cause the cpu to hold off on the pci-e lanes...

what am thinking is try to checkthe cpu pins on the moathboard... will reply back

14. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 STRIX
    hmm tried to fix motherboard socket pins but no luck ...
    still 2x speed

can you know where is the cpu pins location on the 6700k that handles pci-e ?

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    IMO, to buy new motherboard is much more easier task.

akbaar likes this.

16. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 STRIX
    yes true , its my last option master mbk1969

my next step is to try the gpu on another pc, just to make sure its not the gpu! i hope its the mobo not the gpu haha