PCI-E 1x Sound Card Work In 16X PCI-E slot?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Kinleyb, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Kinleyb

Kinleyb Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
    Hey guys,

I recently purchased a ASUS Xonar DX sound card! The problem is i can not fit the sound card to my PCI-E 1x slot because my video cards take up three slots each because i have Artic coolers on them! So that leaves me with only one PCI-E 16x slot for the sound card! I tried to use it in that slot but windows would not detect it! I have seen people use sound cards in video card slots....shouldn't this card run in a 16x slot? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the sound card i have:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006&Tpk=Xonar DX

2. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    It should work.
    According to the picture of your Motherboard, you should have 2 16xPCIE and one 4xPCIE slots available.

Have you tried in all those slots?
    It should work in all of them.

3. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    did you plug in the additional floppy power connector required to power the card?

4. Kinleyb

Kinleyb Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
    Yes! The card works fine in the 1x slots! But will not read in the 16x slots! Im gonna try again tonight and see what happens!

5. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Not all x16 slots are "down-compatible".

For example in the PC I'm building now with Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, there is one - the lowest, black - PCIe 2.0 slot x16 in x4 mode, but it explicitly says in the manual that it accepts x1 cards and Xonar DX works in there like a charm.

I have no such a feature on my ASRock 870 Extreme3, and I have checked the manual for that.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    All x16 slots accept x1 cards. If it doesn't then it's not standard compliant as far as I know.

7. Liquid_Ocelot

Liquid_Ocelot Guest

GPU:
    MSi GTX 560ti 1GB
    Hey Guys I don't know if I am a bit late or if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, but I just ordered the card and hope to fit it into a 16x slot so any ideas if the original poster got the card working or not?

8. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    It'll work fine.

9. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    it'll work fine................do it!!

10. Rob McClelland

Rob McClelland Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390 x
    Put in the 8x pci e slot like I did works great no feedback :)

11. Liquid_Ocelot

Liquid_Ocelot Guest

GPU:
    MSi GTX 560ti 1GB
    Thanks for the replies there, its just i have a crappy micro atx mobo *sigh*, and I had a pcie 1x slot free but last time i got the card and put it in there and it didn't fit because the card was too long and hit the ram slots, so I returned it, and now I'm trying something different to see if that works and ordered the card again.

12. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    Did it work now?

13. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    Hey, did it work for you? I am in a same situation now. Have the DX and want to buy a 3D enabled GPU but my options are very limited. Using a fanless HIS 5450 which sits right on top of the DX. Need a bigger GPU and was wondering if the DX will work on the PCIx4 slot.

14. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    I moved my ZxR into the bottom x16 slot on my mobo after upgrading GPUs and it works great. (It was squished between the backplate on my 290 vapor x and the fan clip for the NH-D14

One thing to consider is the pcie distribution of the mobo itself. Some boards can't run all the slots and other peripherals at the same time. For instance, you might have to disable a 3rd party SATA controller or secondary ethernet controller to activate a 3 pcie x16 slot. One of the selling points of the Asus Deluxe board I picked was that it uses a PLEX chip to allow the PCH pcie lanes to be split as needed for those extra on-board items.

The OP should dig through his mobo manual to find out what restrictions are on that last slot, he might have to switch something in BIOS to activate it.