PC won't post

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by eclap, May 14, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Thanks mate, I really hope it's just the psu.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Xtreme4 is OK for a budget board.

I prefer the P8Z77-V; better quality with more PCI/e slots, superior BIOS, extra USB3 ports and wifi.

And it's only $146 at Scan...http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...raid-pcie-30-(x16)-displayport-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

Here's a comparison between a similar P8-Pro and the Xtreme4. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5793/...th-ivy-bridge-asrock-asus-gigabyte-and-msi/18

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, the pro is only £2 more than non pro at Novatech. What does the pro offer over the non pro? Sorry, quite difficult for me to browse in depth on a phone. I'll definitely be buying form Novatech because I can drive to them.

edit: found some info

- The pro has 2 more USB 3.0 ports.
    - The pro has Q-shield I/O anti-static back grill instead of normal
    - The pro got 12 power phases instead of 8

Will definitely go with the pro if I need a board. Worth the £2 extra any day.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, took the psu out and opened it. Was looking for some burn marks and bulging caps, didn't see any. Hard to spot burns on a black pcb. Here's a pic what I'm thinking could be capacitor leaks. Although I'm not sure that's leaks tbh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are these capacitor leaks? Sorry about the image size, uploading from phone.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Its either capacitor leaks or glue. My old Tagan 1300w had those before it died, Still not sure though. Many images on google show capacitor leaks but not too sure. Id just RMA it anyhow for peace of mind.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    If you're talking about the yellow stuff, I'm pretty sure that's just a crappy epoxy job to keep the caps from moving around. The stuff inside the caps should be more white.

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
  9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, I don't think that was leaky caps. Further investigation revealed a burnt and a leaky coil. I'll upload a pic in a minute.

Here's the coil

[​IMG]

Here's the plastic separator that was right next to it

[​IMG]

Another update, tested the gpu in my mates rig, worked fine, booted to Windows no problem. So worst case it's the psu and motherboard. Also gave the case a proper clean out, excited about putting it back together.

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If the motherboard is damaged it just gives you an excuse to get a nice crossfire capable Z77 tbh.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, I feel I'll be almost disappointed if I don't need a new motherboard if that makes any sense.

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If that's the case get one anyway, if the current one still works it never hurts to have a backup. Might as well if you're stripping components anyway.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    That straight power on bug could probably be becuase on LAN card, i had that once it was a conflcit with certain nvidia driver and LAN driver.

Go to windows uninstall it and use default windows, now turn off pc., if nothing happens try to disable it and then turn off pc (either in windows or in bios) and re-enable it and reinstall latest LAN driver.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Doubt it had anything with lan, I never changed any settings or drivers before it happened. Either way, I'm not going to buy a motherboard unless I need one, that money can go towards a cpu upgrade or future rig overhaul :)

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well you used some feature that auto turns off your pc and it didnt, now it auto starts as soon as you add power to pc and this is just it, LAN doesnt completely shut off while pc is off and in your case it still triggers some sort of wakeup event that auto starts pc, like i said i've seen this before.

if you dont want to test ok by me, I just saying its a big possibility its only that as strange as it may sound.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Where did I say my pc auto turns off? Anyway, psu coming tomorrow, fingers crossed.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    good luck bro hope its just the psu

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And where did i say if it auto turns OFF? :rolleyes: You said in your first or 2nd post you used something for auto shut off and it didnt, pc was still on and LCD off.. And now it auto powers on as soon as you add power to it, unless you shut if off on the back of psu, correct?

And like i said this is the same problem like by me once, and it was somehow LAN that made this auto power on, unless i shut off my pc with psu off on the back..

Do a simple test, turn off your LAN in windows and turn off pc, now if it doesnt auto start, bingo. Re-enable it and revert to default MS driver turn it off again, now reinstall your old driver.

If you're to stubborn to test LAN on/off and wanna buy new psu, lol be my guest its your money xD

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Me too, thanks mate. If it's the board too I'll still have my rig up and running on Friday. Just cba to install a new mobo etc.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm not stubborn. The psu popped twice yesterday and there was a damaged coil and burn marks around it. Also can't test nothing atm, it's not like the pc even posts. Anyway, in the op I said I switched the rig off via the w7 start menu, shut down. That's when the PC hang and never really posted again.