PC won't post

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by eclap, May 14, 2013.

1. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Can you enter BIOS (DEL at the POST)? If you can try to find option about ECC and turn it OFF if it is now turned ON now because that RAM of yours doesn't have an ECC correction. By removing CMOS battery after few seconds BIOS is reverting all options to default values, some motherboards then turn that ECC option ON although almost no one (I know only few people who bought ECC capable RAM) is using (expensive) ECC capable RAM sticks.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    No repair places around here I'm afraid. Looks like a new board and psu. Can someone suggest a psu and board from Novatech? Budget £200.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Can't, I'm afraid.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Don't make the mistake of buying things you don't know if you need yet. Start with the PSU, and then if the error persists, assume the board is dead.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Are you joking that's the same as you have now except newer chipset......

Remember I said the other day you shouldn't be overclocking on that mobo because the vrm's will blow....;)

Get the non-LX version with 8+2 phase heatsinked vrm's.

Anyway you're jumping the gun a bit, find out what's wrong first....

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok ok, I'll just get a psu first. Any recommendations? Doesn't have to be Novatech, I'll order online. £100 max. Vrms didn't blow btw ;)

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That XFX PSU is a really good unit, have you looked at any others?

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    not really, was only looking on Novatech because I was v gonna get it tomorrow. That's me being inpatient... but I've called down now and will order online from any uk store. So if you or anyone else have a suggestion, shoot :)

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'll have a look on Scan in bit, I'm meant to be working atm haha..

Btw are you sure the pop/smell came from the PSU? PSU's don't normally take out components when they die unless they're El-cheapo models without OCP (over current protection).

That would be some hella bad luck if the PSU and mobo died at he same time.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    God I hate Scan's site it's full of so much spam and advertising crap...

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yes, I'm 99% sure it was the psu. I had the case on its side and it came from that area. Will try to test gpu in another rig.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I didnt read all that but that sounds like a bios problem, mb. Did you try a new battery for your m/b?

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    No, I don't have a replacement battery. I did try to boot with just very minimal setup (no usb, one stick of ram) after a cmos reset and the psu went pop again, after that the monitor is in standby and fans are spinning. I'm gonna try the gpu in a different rig tomorrow and try to use that rig's psu to boot. If it boots, great, I only have to replace the psu. If not, I'm getting a motherboard too. About to order a psu now, had 2 pops from it today, it's definitely not healthy. Who's oem for xfx 750 xxx 80+ silver psu? Seasonic?

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000

16. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Seasonic PSU's are excellent, my No.1 choice for branded PSU's, especially their middle to high class category. But they are often very expensive (at least here in Serbia) and I buy them for myself only when I have extra money to spend. Right now I have one Seasonic SS-620GB in on of my rigs, I've bought it about 2 years ago, it costed me a small fortune back then but after two days of using it I was in love with it. Never regreted that money I've spend on it: 48Amps and 567W on two +12V rails combined and all that from 620W PSU!
    Also many people don't know that many other branded PSU models from Thermaltake, Antec, Corsair, Cooler Master, Chieftec... have Seasonic OEM electronics inside, Seasonic often build OEM PSU's for them and they just put their sticker on it and sell it like their own. Not all their PSU's but many PSU models from above mentioned manufacturers.

It looks like nice one PSU for that money, didn't checked but I'm almost sure that you can't by equivalent Seasonic 750W PSU for that money in UK.
    This site: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm ..is a great database of PSU's, their electronics inside and PSU reviews, I'm using it for years to compare PSU's. I'm almost 100% sure that XFX PSU is using Seasonic electronics inside and that can't be bad.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Seasonic isn't the only good OEM. SuperFlower and Channelwell are pretty good as well, with SuperFlower's quality level being 100% on par and in some cases better than Seasonic's.

18. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    ^^^I agree with that.
    If I need to make some small compromise about new PSU (mostly because of tight budget when I don't have enough cache to buy some Seasonic based PSU) for some new build I often choose some branded PSU's from few series of Andyson platform based PSU, nice bang for the buck.

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You were asked multiple times politely to post a picture and you didnt. If you would have posted a picture as people asked you would not have got as much stick if any stick at all as you got in that thread. You was the one that decided to be a Tool about posting the pics, you bought it on yourself at the end of the day, its as plain and simple as that.
    Novatech are quite good even when you have to return something, hope it gets sorted, im sure it will.:)

20. thommo

thommo Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX680 SLI
    same happened here- a corsair 1200AX gone kersplut less than 18 months old and they won't RMA it as they state that although I used COrsair braided cables, I didn't use the original cables that came with the PSU

I have complained about this petty decision but they will not back down- saying that the small print of their terms & conditions give them the right to not fix or replace an item that has been" used outside of it's original T&C"

I am a very experienced system builder and would do around 5 systems a month for clients so I will now boycott all Corsair products and have cancelled the 12- yes 12- 900D cases that I had on pre order

Not happy bunny at all