PC vs Killzone 2 (graphics)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by eduardmc, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    I have to say I was a little disappointed in Warhead's performance not because its bad, its just not the huge improvement people were raving about. I got maybe 1-2 fps better than Crysis if that. I guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet...

2. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Remember guys, consoles are for those who are lazy and do no make the efforts to build a good rig so its quite obvious for them to say that consoles are better. Also, a pc does more work than a console. Double the benefit. A friend of mine who plays on a console, says that, aiming on a joysick is more accurate than mouse even while playing fps games.So novice of him to say that. [Plz do not start a converstion on this]. The bottom line is pc graphics were great, are great and will remain great as long as there is Nvidia and Amd. Thanks to all of them. Long live pc gamers and cheers to all. Regards.

3. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    I played crysis for 2 times on xp sp2 32 bit. Firstly, on the vanilla version with medium graphics, secondly on the patch ver 1.2 with maximum graphics and no AA. I did not have any problems at all while playing the game due to the fact that my system is thoroughly maintained with latest drivers and necessary updates. I dont see why people complain about crysis but they must have their own reasons. Nobody can deny the fact that crysis is the best graphical game of 2008. I cannot say that crysis is the best game but it took the graphical realism to a new level.

4. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    im 26 hours into chrono trigger and loving it, and i have to say this, graphics dont = game, also the thread says pc vs killzone 2 why is all the pc posts about crysis when there's loads of other great pc games that no one mentions.

5. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    To be fair the title says pc vs killzone (graphics) which is the main reason for all the crysis talk. There are tons of good games for pc, new and old. I can't even tell you how many hours spent online playing Soldier of Fortune II.

6. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    I think that is quite ignorant of you to say that. Firstly, not everybody IS interested in building PC's, and certainly not that many people have a good knowledge how to do so.

Secondly, it is expensive to keep PC running up to date, especially if you use different OS for general use.

I use Mac OSX for work/university/general use, and therefore have a PS3 for games. I have a PC next room, but haven't touched it in ages, and I did build it myself. To keep my PC up to date for few games is not really worth it.

7. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    [​IMG]

Back to the thread, that is if the PC have better graphics, if there any doub that the PC is powerfull enough to show better graphics, I sugest to them that visit the gallery of this PC games forum :

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=281991

The PC can show resolutions, filters, efects, and performance that can´t do the consoles today, and the developers are puting effort to make easy configurations lately with optimized settings, for example.

But to squeeze the PC is required knowledge of how configure it, but the posibility of do tweaks, that can´t do it in a console, is what makes to PC be a powerfull plataform for high end play.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    wow, so console gamers are people who are too lazy and dont make effort to build a good rig. i suppose those that drive prebuilt 4 cylinder cars are too lazy to build a good V8 as well? :3eyes:
    you have no clue sir.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The RSX is definitely heavily based on the GeForce 7800 GTX GPU with its dated pixel pipeline/vertex shader structure because like many PC games that had HDR lighting, the PS3 struggles to do anti-aliasing at the same time. There are workarounds as seen in Uncharted and Killzone 2 which use HDR and AA but few developers make the effort. That's why PS3 multiformat games tend to look jaggier than the 360 equivalents. The 360's GPU is more advanced and uses 48 stream processors like current PC graphics cards, albeit it is nowhere near as powerful. The 360's GPU was also designed to handle AA, thanks to its 10 MB of ultra-fast embedded DRAM, but even then it struggles to render all its games at 1280x720, which is low resolution by current PC standards. I was playing games at 1280x1024 ten years ago!!!

I own a PS3, 360 and Wii as well as a PC. In terms of hardware the PC knocks all three into a cocked hat but the 360 definitely has the edge over the PS3 in terms of visuals. Framerates tend to be better and games are less aliased. The Wii is, without a doubt, the weakest and it doesn't help that it has hardly any decent games either but that's something for another discussion!

As for Killzone 2, well personally I think it looks stunning considering it is running on a PS3, and doesn't look a million miles off that "pre-rendered to PS3 spec" footage we see at E3 2005. Kudos to Guerilla for achieving that. It also doesn't require any HDD install which is impressive and shows how lazy many other PS3 developers have become with these tedious mandatory install, some of which take 20 minutes, e.g. Devil May Cry 4.

That said, Killzone 2 doesn't come anywhere close to matching Crysis on Very High settings with 4X AA @ 1680x1050 on my system for example but then I'm not going to be sat directly in front of the TV when I play it so it doesn't matter. What matters is that it looks excellent for the hardware it is running on and hopefully it'll play as good as it looks.

10. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    He doesn't know which of use have consoles then

11. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I have no console and have no intentions of spending money on one either for the simple fact that everything they can do my PC can do and better. What I will say for console is that they are really easy to use but that's about it.

As for Crysis, it was a horrible game I barely managed to finish and sold. I haven't bought Warhead and have no intentions of doing so. GTA IV suffers from the same Crysis excuse and that's horrible coding.

12. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
  13. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB

Its NDA'd so you either don't know wtf you are talking about or you want to get your ass sued to death by the Sony Ninjas cos you are a little silly......

Which is it?

14. Ankit kukreti

Ankit kukreti Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 7600 GT

hm... yes the 360 has better GPU and can do better AA but the main problem is that most company make it for 360 and then port it to other formats. If they can different devs for each platform or know how to comprise for each console, there will never would be problem as PS3 can do more things, faster than 360. To name a few KZ2, Uncharted games, GT5, GOW will be among games which will be better than any 360 games technically. Most PS3 exclusive games are better than 360. In 2008 according to IGN. MGS4, LBP won the most technical, artistic games respectively.

Obviously PC can do more things but console have dedicated hardware and games can use it efficiently as it is done by some PS3 games like KZ2 :banana:

15. Wanny

Wanny Guest

16. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    So any PS3 owners out there want to post their own review once they get a copy of the game?

And will I get lynched if I say I actually enjoyed Crysis? It seems like a PC gamer sin to admit to enjoying a game that is fashionable to shout TECH DEMO! BAD CODING! at.

:deadhorse:

17. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I have read articles saying more of the graphics effects on the ps3 are being done on the cell's spu's, like lighting, shadows, post processing effects heres a small read from an interview with Killzone 2 coder.

Jan Bart Van Beek: Our engine is built around a deferred renderer. The strength of such engines is that they are very good at lighting as it's much more efficient at dealing with a lot of lights while at the same time being much faster at lighting then traditional, so called "forward" renderers. Of course with any advantage there usually is a disadvantage as well, which in the case of deferred renderers is their limitations regarding transparent objects, so glass objects but also grass and leaves. To overcome that weakness Killzone 2 actually uses a second engine for rendering transparent objects and particles. The advantage of a deferred renderer is that shaders themselves are a lot cheaper to process, as all the expensive lighting calculations are taken out of them. This has allowed us to experiment a little more with some more advanced shader techniques.

As we were developing the game, the engine became more and more robust and mature. One of the main developments was that more processes that were initially handled by the main CPU were being moved to the SPUs. Physics, lighting set-up, particle set-up, animation and such are by now all running on the SPU, leaving the CPU to calculate the more tricky game systems that aren't easily made parallel. At some point we even found ways to start doing certain GPU calculation on the SPUs, so now a lot of our post-processing such as bloom, depth-of-field and motion blur are being rendered by the SPUs. This freed up performance from the GPU, which in turn allowed us to go even further with shader complexity and particle density.

18. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    omfg not this crap again, I can never understand how console cats think prerendered scenes are ingame? That was flat out prerendered no other way to say it. I have seen some cool ingame footage of this and it looks nice but it will never come close to that ingame.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Dunno, but I will say the in game graphics for FFXIII look pretty damn sweet. Colorful too.

20. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
    I enjoyed it too mate, it was "nothing special" as such but it was enjoyable. I have to say I quite liked being in cover waiting for a patrol only to see enemy soldiers become startled and fall over a tree or something :nerd: