PC vs Killzone 2 (graphics)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by eduardmc, Jan 21, 2009.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Do you know what's quite a funny fact guys? The only FPS I've finished this side of year 2000 was Doom2. I re-played it last summer and loved it. It was simple but awesome fun. My KZ2 demo is almost ready, I'm going out now but I'll post back commenting more on the topic ,.-)

2. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm glad you guys r enjoying the game..

Just be sure to sit at a distance to make the most out of ur gaming experience..
    Even Crysis looks ugly on my HDTV if it's @ 720p and if I'm sitting right infront of it..

Plus , if your set can do 120hz or even 100Hz , do be sure to turn that ON , it makes a huge difference in games , helps remove all the judder , unintended bluring , helps maintain pixels/real time res..
    Helps sync your eyes to the game , also helps with your accuracy..

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    i agree with you on your above post, max gfx games, PS3=Killzone 2, PC=Crysis and leave it at that, waste of time comparing them against one another

but, jebus eclap havnt you finised CoD4? best single player FPS ive ever played in my life and im gaming for well over 20 years now( haha no FPS in C64/Amstrad days ). Also Fear is a great FPS, gets generic near the end tough but well worth finishing. I have to finis stuff, wont have got my $$$ worth otherwise haha

4. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    I don't think anyone is saying crysis doesn't hold it's own it most ways.

I thought it looked fantastic.

But tbh, it should. and then you account for what was needed for crysis to run at a decent rez, and decent fps.

I heard people playing crysis @ 15fps and calling it ok. That is not ok.

Are the textures in KZ2 good? yes they are. But it depends on optimization of the amount of ram and throughput of ram, as it flushes out the system.

I think people need to ask themselves this instead.

Crysis while looking great and playing pretty good, The amount of foilage makes the game crawl, then add shadows etc.

To run on PS3, You'd simply have to knock some of that foilage away and tbh. I don't think it'd run bad at all.

Infact i'd love to see it, Just as i'd like to try killzone 2 on a pc.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Never finished COD4, don't actually know why... and FEAR was way to jumpy for me :no: Call me a wimp.

Oh yeah, gave KZ2 a quick run before I went out and it looked like a fun game. A sure buy. Graphics look very good and the gameplay felt right. The atmosphere was very good also, it really felt like a battlefield.

6. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    You hit the nail on the head Bani, Another thing that I think that JXL is missing is that although we PC users may have to wait years to max out crysis, we aren't just talking about running crysis but the endless mods that can be played using that game also. so for $10 less than what KZ2 costs we can get endless fun.

The simpile fact is in our hobby of gaming we need to make tradeoffs no matter what you think. Some want the highest in graphics that they can get so we need to pay much more extra to achive this. Some value simplicity, consistancy and cost and they choose to go with consoles. For those who start these stupid threads about PC vs console they are known to only end one way with lots of tempers flairing! KZ2 looks amazing but when you try to have it set up in the same fashion that you would play your PC it will fail miserrably. Crysis is the king of graphics hands down but when it comes to consoles the competetion is much closer and from what I can see KZ2 looks to be the winner. Hats off to the devs!

As PC hardware gets better and better crysis will look better and better. As long as KZ2 is out it will always look the same as it launched just like KZ2. lol!

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    No it's not, Sony didn't "throw" anything in there. Read up on the Nvidia website about RSX. Its Hybrid you cannot say its a 7 series anything. Its highly customized and simply put, it's it's own chip.

RSX was in development as long as PS3 was around. It was NEVER a last minute anything.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Actually it was last minute, the first PS3 spec called for 1 cell processor, they redesigned with 2, one as the GPU.. then redesigned again with the RSX. And the RSX is a slightly modified 7800 basically. The share the same parent architecture, the only difference being the RSX can render to both local and system memory(same thing as turbocache) and is clocked 28% faster.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  9. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    It doesn't matter though because soon as the RSX goes to open its mouth the GTX295 pees in it! lol :peeright:

10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Watch the opening intro scene of Company of Heroes. Its better than this.

11. charliehamster

charliehamster Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    If crysis give you endless fun,then you need to get out more.

12. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    Man, this thread still alive?
    PC!=PS3
    no need to keep on comparing them.
    To sum things up, the ps3 is 2+ years old and can still push graphics which, IMO, looks pretty damn good.
    Do newer pc games look better? Sure, many do.
    Thats not the point. The ps3 was not designed to be future proof for a million years.
    It was designed, as all consoles were, to run games.
    I played killzone at my friends house, and I played crysis at home on my 4870.
    Crysis looked better on the beach at sunset.
    Killzone 2 felt better while shooting helghast (love shooting a helmet off them and watching them scurry back).
    Stupid comparison, but thats the point of this thread right?

13. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    At the end of the day Crysis has better graphics than Killzone 2, but as far as graphics on consoles are going i think killzone 2 is showing what can be done if you fully optimize the hardware in front of you and imo it looks great, the scale, physics, sound, atmosphere "it really feels like your in a war", also for a console game it has 350 light sorces in one area, and for a console game i think its impressive.

www.gamezine.co.uk/news/game-types/shooter/the-most-light-sources-in-one-killzone-2-scene---$1267347.htm

14. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    I am sorry I am not such a fragile and an easy man swayed by marketing bull, so delightfully stuffed up our poop holes by our beloved gaming industries these days...

I feel sorry for you, swallowing all that crap without the slightest attempt to question the "reality" presented to you.

15. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)

16. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    To be fair, one of the methods to judge something is to compare it to its rivals. PS3 is always compared to X360 for obvious reasons, and if PC is also thrown into the mix at least these threads show that interest in PC is of course still alive.

Of course, to just compare systems on graphics is almost always going to be ridiculous unless something really radical happens - consoles are much more static than PC hardware, there is no one "PC" in the sense that there is one PS3 or 360.

Still, its clear that developers aspire to have the best graphics possible, and so comparing to the PC allows a judgement on how far they have come.

Personally I believe gameplay is more important, but graphics and sound are close behind, and these threads on hardware and software of various systems can actually be pretty interesting if people discuss sensibly. It's the idiots that ruin them, like any thread, or the people who only post to state how they dislike the thread. Don't like it? Post elsewhere!

17. mcharj11

mcharj11 Banned

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC
  18. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    Damn Bani
    You woke up on the wrong side of bed.
    All he said is that the console graphics are not bad.
    Chill.

19. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    haha yeah that seemed a bit harsh, but to be fair Bani has posted some good points in this thread - that post he quoted did sound like a marketing tagline.

20. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Actually I am quite "chilled", let me get one thing straight, a good number of the console based games have a quite good visual experience. That includes Killzone 2.

But to try slap Killzone 2 has 350 light sources in my face. Lol. I am going to have to ask you this, which one of these are the most likely truth ?

A. The Killzone 2 engine harness the power of the PS3 in such an amazing and brilliant way, that it has 100 x the light sources of other games out there.

B. The Guerrilla dev team has a different opinion, what counts as a light source, compared to everyone else.

Which on could it be, hmm, tough one, considering that there are much better looking graphics around, using just 1 or 2 light sources, I would go for B :)