PC version Call of Duty: Modern Warfare requires 175 GB of storage

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    At least you can go into most games files and delete language packs and useless stuff like .net/dx and other stuff. But i learned the hard way that some games stop working if you remove any files.

Some games have like 5 languages but others have like 16 or something totally useless data that we are forced into installing.

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah look at Final Fantasy XIII you can delete the language packs that you are not using and the game works fine. And those language files take up alot of space too.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Sums it up pretty nicely. I have 120GB system drive, and 512+256 for game installations, and at times I feel it becoming full. That said, 60% of the games installed I only play infrequently or simply haven't finished them.

4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Games don't just load content at the start of the game. Every time you load a new level, data is read off disk. Believe me, it makes a difference.

5. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    What could possibly be in that install base? Someones leftover torrents from development team??

6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Man i'm so happy all those devs care enough to give us uncompressed raw audio files. It makes such a big difference on those tiny PC speakers.

7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Uncompressed audio files for the most part probably. Would not be surprised if half that is uncompressed audio in many different languages.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    K.S. likes this.
  8. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    She probably said the later ;)

K.S. and airbud7 like this.
  9. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Okay, that makes perfect sense actually, straight up raw audio files & 4K textures etc hmm ... I wonder how tangible it will be (the contrast) - hopefully really good!

10. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+RX580 8GB OC
    Where the hell are you buying 1TB SSD's for 40 bucks coz it aint anywhere near where I live they're mostly $200+

MonstroMart likes this.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    He didn't say SSDs.

12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    How much?!

13. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070 SuperJet.
    Like some here said, you should be able to only download the language you want and have the highest fidelty textures as optional download. Activision and their slave studios wrap up their games as quick as possible with zero innovation, so it is no surprise that their games are technically not so well executed. Expect more shortcomings with netcode and other things too.

I can understand game like Red Dead Redemption 2 taking more space, since the world is huge and there is vast amount of voice acting, but even that game could easily be packed in about 80 Gb with optional downloads, so a game like Call of Duty should realistically be something like 20 Gb.
    Compressing is always welcome, even if it means the install size stays the same, while we save in bandwith. Also remember that you can have bad sounding audio in a format that takes much space, so you can't judge audio quality by file size. I can't say how high quality sound Call of Duty offers or how textures are filtered in game, so we have yet to see if the high file sizes are justified.
    Great example of fine compressing and good choices of file format and quality is The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim, which at the time of release looked and sounded very crisp, while taking space something like 10 Gb or little more.

In any case, support lazy practices and that's what you will get more in the future.

Such a shame Battlefield went more or less the Call of Duty road gameplay wise. I so much want a decent modern war Battlefield game without female soldiers (at least a realistic percent of them should be applied, like maximum of 1 or 2 out of 32 players).

14. HybOj

HybOj Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 DCmini
    I need to oppose ppl who say they can wait till the game get loaded into the RAM from a HDD.

This only works for games WITHOUT a streaming worlds. Yes, you can load a level of a game, wait 30 seconds instead of 6 secs. I completely get that. But try running (or driving or flying) around a detailed streaming world and your HDD gets choked and your game gets choppy and full of micro and "not so micro" stuttering.

Also, when you play a game on high difficulty and you use quickloads a lot and one lasts 15 second on HDD and 3 sec on SSD you will very soon notice you hate the HDD. Transfering between levels and waiting so long you forget where you actually arrived from also doesnt add to immersion..

Even the relatively old game Witcher 3 benefited from SSD so much, games like this are just a big NO on the HDD to me.

15. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    I tend to agree but hell if you got no other option throw em in RAID?

16. Mundosold

Mundosold Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 560
    Games are optimized for console HDDs - since they have seek times, they commonly have duplicate data over and over again to reduce those seek times.
    I bet they didn't bother optimizing the data for SSD and kept the duplicate data - this is activision after all, not known for their quality PC ports.

17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Honestly it's not like it's hard to add 4k textures and language packs as DLC. I don't think this has anything to do with being able to release the game faster. I'm a developer myself and i don't see any problem with releasing those as optional DLC. I don't see how it really adds much or even anything to the development time once everyone is familiar with the process. I think it's more a matter of Activision doesn't give a **** about its customers. It's been this way for a while and as long as people will buy Activision games then it wont change. Pretty sure online stores would actually be very happy to have those as DLC as it would save them lot of bandwidth.