PC trips out when turned on.... (maybe solved)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by CPC_RedDawn, Sep 19, 2017.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Ryzen 1800x OC 4.1GHz
    Crosshair VI Hero X370
    MSI GTX1080
    16GB TeamGroup 3200MHz RAM CL14
    850w EVGA 80+ Platinum PSU

Been having an issue with the new setup, the PC will trip out once turned on, it will immediately trip out and come back on and the motherboard will get stuck in POST for a few minutes as it trains new RAM settings. It will then POST and once entering BIOS all my settings are still enabled for my overclock but the RAM will be set to default 2133MHz.

Even at stock settings with no DCOP enabled on the memory and leaving it running at default 2133MHz it still trips out. I have the latest BIOS with AGESA code 1.0.0.6

I think I may have fixed the issue, which is a weird one to say the least. Not sure if this is a common thing on other motherboards.

The motherboard supports charging whilst the PC is off so you can leave phones, mice, headsets, etc attached and they will still charge.

I have a logitech G900 wireless mouse, that I leave on charge whilst the PC is switched off.

I discovered that this is whats making the PC trip out. If I leave it connected, once I disconnect it the PC boots up perfectly fine.

Is this a known issue with this board? Or just boards in general?

Could be a bug in BIOS maybe?

2. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Mine 'trips out' when the ram settings that i've manually entered fail to initialize. As you said all of the settings are there in the bios after it slowly boots the second time except the ram being at 2133. There's an option how much tries the motherboard should do(ram training) before reverting back to stock and wasting your time. If it's really caused by your mouse try plugging it in the usb 2.0 ports. But I've the same behavior, just not when the ram is on auto, then it boots first try like a normal pc.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Well I tested it yesterday with the mouse wired in to the PC charging and it tripped.

Today I tried again this time disconnected the wire (it was fully charged) and inserted the wireless receiver (I use the same wire to charge the mouse) and the PC booted first time with all the correct RAM settings and timings using the Standard D.C.O.P setting for 3200MHz CL14.

Bit of a weird one, I may post this on Asus forums and see if its a known issue with this board as it could be a BIOS issue. I have gone through the BIOS and not found anything to disable charging. Also its connected to a USB3 port would a USB2 port really make any difference? Do they operate at lower voltages maybe?

4. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    They're the same but basically mouses n keyboards are wasted space on usb 3's, however considering how much usb 3 ports our motherboards have.. I still plug my BlackWidow X and DA Chrome into the USB 2's.
    I think you have my problem, not always do your settings load for the ram. Tomorrow it might do it first try but the day after it wont. Go in your bios to this location |Advanced/AMD CBS/DDR4 Common Options| In there there's a settings called Fail_CNT, write 5, that'll basically make your motherboard try 5 times in a row to load the DCOP 3200. If it fails 5 times it will load 2133 and get you over in the bios for you to tinker a bit and try your luck again. It usually takes 2-3 tries for my pc to load the 3000mhz manual profile that i have. Your pc will shut off and turn on by itself up to 5 times and after the 5th if it fails it will slowly boot like you've already noticed.

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Go to power settings in control panel and make sure your power is set to maximum performance. Once you've done this make sure your suspend USB settings are disabled. If you dont do this your USB ports can shut off to save power which can cause problems as your having here.

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    It is unique to this board. The Asus board have for wife's apu supports the same charging option. It does not suffer from this when the mouse is left plugged in and charging when booting. Veteran may have a point since those options in power settings on wife's rig are set as stated.

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Wouldn't this not be an issue as the problem I am having is when booting from a cold boot so its BIOS related not Windows related.

Also I use the AMD Ryzen Balanced power profile and I have edited it so the hard drives dont turn off, usb select suspend is turned off, and pcie power savings is disabled too.

But like I said I don't think this is Windows related at all as it only happens at cold POST.

I have now been removing the mouse charging cable for the past three days and EVERY time the PC has booted perfectly fine first time from a cold boot.

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    When I first replaced an optical drive attached to this board it wigged out upon booting. Cleared cmos, pushing the button on the back, and everything has been fine since. Have also disabled fast boot, CSM, and USB legacy support. Secure boot is set to Windows UEFI. Each bios version has had it's idiosyncrasies. Has this been present on all versions tried? 1602 does not look pretty for some. 1403 and 9920 seem to be the favored ones. I have had the best luck with 1501; needs a bit more voltage but was able to push my ram timings further.