PC shuts off MSI 570

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by UnclePappi, Apr 8, 2011.

1. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    It's weird it shuts off at the same parts of different apps/games (walk outside crysis 2, walk outside GTA4, right after the blocks passing by in MSI kombuster). I just got this card y-day nothing is overclocked in my system atm. No problems with my old 8800gt... psu is antec TP 2.0 550w (dual 19A rails)

So whatcha think? problem with the PSU or 570? It's the 732 core version btw .988v I think

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I would think you need a more powerful psu. 750watt or so. at least your video card is ok.

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    yep, it's the psu. Try downclocking the card just for testing.

4. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I'm running a 570 with my PC Power and Cooling 510SLI and it doesn't give me issues.... the PSU needs to have at least a single 38A +12volt rail.

5. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I think two 19A rails actually comes out to like 36A total plus my CPU is kindof a thirsty mofo too. I know I'd save like 100w going to the new procs but I was hoping this setup would pass till then. Maybe I'll splurge on a nice 850w PSU but til then I'll downclock and see if that works:)thumbup: Blackzero)

How low can I go? Is 500mhz safe?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  6. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Your psu shouldn't be that far off so try something like 650 just to be on the safe side. I think msi afterburner limts how far down you can go based on nvidia driver settings.

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Power supply for sure.

8. Nano2k

Nano2k Active Member

GPU:
    RTX2080TI
    I built an i7 2600k system with a GTX570 and was also getting cuts and blue screens...
    I was using a Thermaltake 750W so I put in a cheapo 550W power supply just to try and the cutting stopped... super weird...

Then I had black screens at default clocks so I reinstalled Windows and then everything was ok (tried cleaning and different drivers before).

Really weird stuff and I was really stressed out about if for a few days. After 4 months at 4.5ghz cheapo power supply is still working.
    Maybe something is busted in the Thermaltake power supply but it still works great with old Quad@4GHz and 5850.

9. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    downclocked to 550mhz on the 570 and the shutoffs have completely stopped. I haven't let kombustor burn in due to fear but I've played a couple games for about an hour and it seems good. This PSU is about 5 yrs old but I'm still not 100% convinced it's the PSU(like 98%), there's still the possibility that the card can't run at full speed but I doubt it. It's gonna be a good week or two til I can buy a new psu.

nano2k this 550w antec was solid with my old 5850 at 950mhz but I guess maybe i was at it's limits back then

10. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    550 is too sketchy and way to old to be running your new card need atleast a 650w to be on the safe side

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Anything that causes the PC to turn off is def power related, like the other guys said..

Your PSU is 5 years old so it'll be on it's last legs, or at least unable to provide it's rated power...sounds like you've had a good run out of it tho. :)

12. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well the total 550W is enough but you may be tripping the overcurrent limit on one 12V rail since this PSU puts the CPU connector on one rail and everything else on the other and the trip points are around ~25A IIRC.

If the OCP is latching off the PSU would need to have it's external switch cycled or AC line removed/replaced before it will latch back on...so that's a good indicator.

The crashing in the same areas of the same games points toward an error in video RAM which can be caused by flaky power source.

Your PSU also has known shoddy Fuhjyyu capacitors on the secondary and very likely to be failing or failed after 5 years time which will produce out of spec voltages and excessive ripple on the secondary outputs and cause errors in RAM.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    It´s the PSU.

I had the same problem when i bought my GTX570.
    My previous psu was an 580W. Everything worked fine but as soon as i started a game, my pc would shut down.
    I´ve bought and installed a new psu and now everything is ok.

14. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Sweet lord man, you should do reviews for guru3d

15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    ha yeah they asked me to...for zero compensation...dont ask people to do things you wouldnt do yourself i say! :)