PC shut down

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pigchild, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I need some help. For no reason I can find, I will be on my PC and all the sudden it will shut down just like I went to start tab and clicked shut down computer.

I don't think it's my power supply. It's a PC power & cooling unit 750 watts and is built like a sherman tank. It's not like a lost power shut down, but more like a sign off and shut down kind of issue. The the pc just turn off and I have to hit the front power button to boot back up.

WTF? Maybe my APC battery powered surge protector?

2. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    If it is shutting down, I would check the temperature of the CPU - there is a safety feature of most boards that will shut the system down if the CPU overheats

Also run a few scans for any malware, virus's can be irritatingly coded to do things like that

And check Scheduled Tasks, I was looking through mine the other day and found 2 entries set to shut my system down at 2am each morning, although they did not seem to work

3. Alcom

Alcom Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 1gb
    What OS are you using? I had some freezing problems with my older ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium mobo and XFX 5850 gpu, and drivers seemed to be hit and miss to address the problem. I found a hotfix that seems to have worked from the Window 7 forums. If you're on win7, it might be a good place to troubleshoot your issues.

http://www.w7forums.com/freezing-problem-hotfix-t9187.html

4. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB

I would say its the PSU. I had that exact same thing happening with my old PSU. My system would shut off randomly. Took out parts to see if I was overloading it and it still did the same thing. I took everything back to stock with just 1 stick of ram the cpu, HDD and it still did the same thing. Got a new PSU and it fixed it. No problems since.

I have noticed that some good brand name PSU can end up being crap after a while. Not sure if the parts are just put in badly on that one paticular one or maybe a few got different parts than the others but I have had some very good and expensive PSUs just die for no reason. If you have another PSU try it out.

Not sure of the battery back up, I do not use them.

5. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks, all good tips to try. I can't see how my CPU is overheating though because I haven't had an OC on it for a long time, but I will check.

As for the PS wouldn't it just shut off immidiatly like cut power is it was the PS. This is more like the computer is telling itself to perform a controled shut down.

I am trying the PS to direct wall outlett to by pass the APC.

6. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    It was the APC Back up power supply. When I changed plug in to the side with just surge protection the problem went away. Looks like that 6 year old APC bacck up is malfunctioning and hshutting down power. I will check the settings on the APC too, maybe it's set too sesitive for power fluctuations.

Thanks god it's not my mobo or PS.