PC sales in free fall

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Ghosty, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Or not even from the cloud.

You can even use a device that will house all the necessary hardware and stream it to all the devices in your house.

Think of an NAS with a decent CPU and GPU that is tucked away in some corner. More along the lines of a "house computer" that you upgrade like you do consoles, every year a new and improved model comes out. Any heavier calculations or simulations can be exported to the cloud.

The technology is already here. We have NAS streaming and can be hooked up to the internet for cloud storage (both local and otherwise), and we have devices like "Project Shield" that demonstrate local interactive streaming.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its wise you do end it here.
    I'm not discussing tablet sales.
    Its about the accelerated decline of the PC due to Windows 8 on the PC.

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just curious, so how would YOU have made Windows 8 different?

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I said in post #58
    "I would have purchased Windows 8 if it looked nice and gave me the option to use it how I want.
    2 simple basics that are easily achieved. "

5. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    We use this technology on professional environnement since a decade. It is exactly what is pushing Nvidia and AMD, their actual professionnal solution to home.

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Exactly.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows8 was launched several months after Ivy Bridge based laptops. Why would those that rushed to buy Ivy Bridge based laptops, suddenly run out to buy a new laptop just because Windows8 launched? Do you even watch the market you claim to know so much about? Your posts seem to indicate otherwise....
    Oh really? Read the bolded part...
    That's post #30....from you, claiming that people are forced to use the windows app store....
    What "basic facts" am I missing?
    The only people I hear/read any complaints from...are all self-proclaimed IT Professionals and "Enthusiasts"...

I don't need to prove anything....the post I quoted + post 30 = proof you're trolling.

He would have done exactly what consumers have told MS they didn't want.....continue with the same old, worn out UI....

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Mufflore, that is only how you would of wanted W8, but you in no way speak for the majority, and never will do.

Windows 8 has absolutely zero to do with PC game sales declining, it didn't help things either though as it was nothing more than a slightly faster W7, but tbh i don't think anything can help PC gaming at this point, and i fear it has no future as nothing more than a gimmick that is used for beta testing new features, and the older i get the less patience i get with paying to be a tester.

It doesn't help that the hardware is too expensive for what you get back, while costing developers alot more to make games for.

Valve stubbornness will likely do even more damage if they continue with the waste of time and resources that is Linux.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They graph adoption rate as a percentage of total PC sales when each OS was launched. Which is fine if the total number of Windows PCs didn't change between launches. Except it did, dramatically, which makes the graph ****ing useless.

Further Windows 7 had obvious reasons for users to perform an upgrade of their desktop hardware. Most people I know bought a PC shortly after XP launched, and again shortly after 7 launched as the XP machine was at the end of it's lifespan. None of those people are in the market for a PC now, with Windows 8, in fact most of them are buying tablets now and putting their PC away.

8 doesn't have the "cyclical" upgrade advantage 7 had. 8 doesn't have 9 years of stale behind it. If 8 was the perfect operating system ever, it still wouldn't even come close to 7's adoption rate.

The fact that most of these sites are so heavily correlating declining PC sales to Windows 8, and not to the increase adoption of tablets and mobile computing, only proves to me the lack of actual journalism in the "blogosphere". Not a single article I've read did any investigation into actual sales figures, percentage of OEM sales prior or post Windows 8 launch, nothing. It's a joke, a sham, more click bait bull**** nonsense. It's the reason why I basically stay off anything that isn't this forum and anandtech.

10. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Hey Mufflore, if Windows 8 sucks so badly then explain why it's continually gaining ground on Steam's hardware surveys each month? I know that Steam is a very small indicator in the grand scheme of things, but you would think that the so called "gamers" and "enthusiasts" wouldn't be migrating (and sticking with) Win 8 if it was as horrible as you claim (falsely I might add) it is.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You tell me, its got nothing to do with the discussion.
    I havent mentioned anyone rushing out to buy laptops for Windows 8.
    You seem to forget, that people buy computers, its quite a regular occurance.

oops, that was meant to say Metro interface.
    Fingers overtook brain :)
    I did state it correctly in my other post(s),

You are ignoring the fact that I am talking about the Metro interface and how it is forced on you when the PC boots and you can disable it.

Lol, you actually choose to be ignorant and then argue without understanding the topic.

Yes you do, you specifically called me out as a troll, now prove it.
    Otherwise you are the troll.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Because time passes and Windows XP is becoming EOL.
    If it didnt make some sales, it would mean that PC and laptop sales had stopped entirely.
    Do you think thats plausible?

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What exactly is wrong with the metro interface? It takes one click to go to your desktop and half the time when I boot my machine I'm looking to open an application anyway so if anything it removes a click.

Further through the use of Fitt's Law, they optimized the icon sizes in the launchpad. So instead of a maximum of 10 items, you get 72 on a 1920x1200 inch screen and you have a better chance of identifying and hitting those icons with your mouse than you did on 7. I personally have zero problem navigating to open applications using my mouse.

As for the Metro apps themselves, they suck for desktops, because they aren't made to be used on desktops. I haven't used or opened a single one.

So far you're throwing away all the advantages of 8 because of one click and your lack of choice, which actually doesn't exist because you're more than capable of installing any of the number of Windows launch replacement tools.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Check the bottom axis of the graph, it says
    "Months before/after public launch"
    going from -4 months to + 3 months.
    The figures are relative to each other at each OS's respective launch and are directly comparable.
    Thats the whole point of the graph!

How does that explain the drop in PC sales at the launch of Windows 8?

There should have been an increase in sales at the launch of a new OS, not a drop.
    Thats quite significant.

15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Where i find it really excellent, is on hybrid laptop ( tablet/laptop ) ..

Anyway with a full win 8 x64 Pro ofc ( not the ARM one ) ..you pulloff the tablet/screen and just use metro with fingers and have the same mobility experience of a tablet. When you lock the tablet on the keyboard.. > use your mouse, keyboard, trackap on the " desktop " environement win7 style. There the hybrid feeling give the OS is fully exploited.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yawn. When this graph was posted originally it was torn apart. The figures aren't relative to each other because it's based on total number of PC's when the OS shipped. From the comment section of the article itself:

And again, 8 is competing against the adoption of two different operating systems, 7 is only competing against one in the graph. It's a bull**** misleading graph.

Huh? What I wrote is the explanation.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    you're still struggling to read, I already explained.
    It is forced on you, its butt ugly and you dont get the option to disable it.

Fine if you want it, its got nothing to do with the discussion though.

Exactly the point.
    We should at least get the option to disable them permanently.

Um no, I am complaining about the things I dont like.
    The sales figures strongly reflect that I am not alone.
    You like to make things up :)

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Look at all the people here tonight! Who knows who made that song!... Any who people have fascination with "SMALLER" things aka smart phones and Tablets. That dont mean MS needs to make PC OS that is more for Tablet and try and pass it off as a PC OS which it is not.

Either way i not the one driving a win8 sucks ass debate for once. Name that person that made that song!

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    No matter what metric you use, its going to be difficult to get an exact comparison due to the 4 year gap, this isnt a bad one.

The figures arent healthy for Windows 8
    http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...ower-internet-usage-share-than-windows-7-did/

You didnt explain why PC sales dropped at the release of Windows 8 when they should have increased.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why does it being ugly and forced have relevance to the discussion but advantages to the OS don't? And since when does sales reflect the design of a product? Is Black Ops 2 really the best FPS game ever made?

Plus unless you're looking specifically at upgrades and non-oem sales, you can't even produce any realistic data on that. The vast majority of people don't upgrade because of an operating system, they upgrade because they want a new PC. Most did this when 7 launched, because as I said there were 9 years of stagnation and because computing hit a point where it was no longer necessary to have a faster one for general purpose tasks.