PC restarts while gaming...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nutz, Mar 25, 2020 at 9:34 PM.

1. nutz

nutz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Super
    Hello gurus...so as the title states a few weeks back I started having a very odd issue where my PC just restarts when I'm gaming. It's been random as I've had a rare few hours when it's fine but lately it's cropping up more and it seems I can't get more than 20-60 minutes before it happens again. My build is below and Its been rock solid since I built it last fall up until just recently.

I installed COD Warzone when it came out and I feel like that was the first game it happened in but I removed that and Battle.net yesterday to test and still happening. I've tried the items below too. I don't feel like it should be heat as the case is usually around 30-40C and I haven't seen any temps get much above 60C when gaming but I just started looking yesterday. Unless the PSU is going bad, power shouldn't be an issue either. I found 4 minidump files from BSOD's and one was around the time when this started happening (others were just after PC was built but no others for months). The latest I could trace back to the Gigabyte LED software and I tried updating, removing, reinstalling, and removing it again with no change. I've had crashes in Warzone, GTA V Online, & Civ 6 which I was hoping would be stable but no luck.

The biggest problem is that it's a reboot so there's nothing in the Event Viewer other than oh crap your PC restarted unexpectedly. Any suggestions on things I can try (some sort of other logging??) to catch what might be causing this?

• Nothing of note in Event Viewer - it's a reboot and there's no preceding error
    • Updated BIOS to latest - F11
    • Using Default BIOS Settings
    • Updated all drivers in Device Manager
    • Latest NVIDIA drivers - 445.75 - have tried 3 different versions
    • Windows 10 all up to date with updates
    • Ran Windows Memory test - no issues
    • Reseated RAM and tried each stick on its own
    • Removed Gigabyte Software completely, reinstalled, and then removed again
    • Removed COD Warzone and Battle.net as was first game I noticed the crash in

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 9:39 PM
  2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Most likely issue is PSU. If you have warranty left on it, contact vendor, tell them your issue and apply for exchange.

You can confirm PSU issue by simply replacing it.

toyo likes this.
  3. toyo

toyo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    This happened 3 times to me in the past, 2 times it was a dying PSU and another was a dying GTX 970 from Gainward. Same symptoms, black screens, random reboots. Your PSu should be a great one, but those can still die.
    If you OC anything, just put it all back to defaults and try like that. Other than this, you don't have too many alternatives other than replacing components one by one and see which one is failing. It could well be the 2080 Super, Turing is rather famous for having some issue, they're rare but they do exist. Try another PSU or GPU if you have any on hand.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Spontaneous reboots with no error captured, are usually power related. I'd start first by reseating all your cables.

5. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    I would like to chime in on this, before he reseats the cables, I'd switch out whatever spare cables he has. PCIE, CPU, whatever cables he can.

I "recently" had an issue when my monitors would loose signal when games requested full power from the GPU. I could hear sound, the PC didn't die or restart but I had no video. And the GPU span all fans to 100%.

Turns out one of the PCIE cables had some plastic casing around the pins broken off, on the PSU side. Changed the cable and all good.

6. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    Maybe you're having power sag or live in an area where brown outs occur. A UPS would help here as almost all of them do AVR and you would want one that does pure sine wave also.

Edit: And if you do get one make sure the wattage is proper.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 1:36 PM
  7. ChaosHusky

ChaosHusky Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti, 970
    Other than obvious things like PSUs and bad connections (have you maybe tried a different power cable by the way? i've even had that be an issue before with a friend's machine) perhaps a different wall socket/extension too? Or posibly short circuits. This can even be caused by immature or flaky monitoring software that's trying to 'fight' with each other, safety settings in your BIOS that sense overcurrent/overvoltage or temperature and as you have a Ryzen i wouldn't be surprised by that (lol) hmm... Have you tried without the riser cable i'm assuming you're using to display your GPU vertically? That would be one prime suspect.. Have you also tried disconnecting everything that may use and overload the lower voltage rails to make sure it's not pulling too much on 5/3.3v? Have you tried running without all that kind of stuff you don't "need" for the machine to run such as lighting etc? Have you checked and re-seated CPU/re-done your thermal paste and made sure the cooler is using enough pressure? Can you monitor your pump speed to see if there are any cut-outs? Do you have a digital multi meter to hand you can stick across 12v/5v etc to see if there's a sudden drop when crashing? For some reason i suspect the only MSI component in your machine, which is your GPU.. I'm guessing you don't have other machines or systems you could try other things in? No doubt this is an interesting one! Especially for such a new machine, but it is AMD based.. (haha.. i'm not biased at all, i have a Ryzen 5 1600X machine sat behind me, that kept cutting video but turned out to be due to the GPU not liking the clock and low fan speed, so perhaps start with your graphics card? (It's an ASUS Strix 970 in case anyone wondered..lowest ASIC quality result i've ever seen thus far.. ASUSuck strikes again lol) but then was getting far too hot with the crappy Spire cooler! Fan settings were adjusted, solved the issue but it still runs hot even at idle! Have you also tried different or reducing USB peripherals? Not using a DisplayPort cable? (Pin 19/20 being connected can cause issues in some cases with some cards and screens). Are you using MSI afterburner and if so, have you set a fan curve for your GPU? Have you tried making all your fans run flat out to see if this changes anything? I'd hate it to be that Gigabyte board, sometimes this can indeed be caused by conflicting software.. Had issues myself with running iCUE and RGBSync after a preview Windows Update whilst also at the same time installing an old ASUS Xonar (they strike again!) D2X card. My issue with the RGB logo on my GPU no longer working or being picked up was due to HsMgr.exe which is to do with the GX2 sound plugin similar to Realtek's GetSoundBack or creative's ALChemy..

No excessive noise being fed in to your power lines is there?.. Hmmm...

8. nutz

nutz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Super
    Thank for suggestions all. I'm in Vegas in a 12 yr old house so no power issues I'm aware of like I know some areas have. I'm going to start by swapping in my old 1060 from my old PC as that's easiest to swap out and then I'll mess with the PSU/reseating cables and try that out. It's just frustrating because It's not like I've been tinkering with the case or added or changed anything and it's been rock solid since the build. I'll keep you posted!