PC Refuses To Boot Without Ancient Video Card

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by talis, Mar 28, 2016.

1. talis

talis Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 GAMING 4G
    As the topic suggests, I'm looking for help with this one. I've never encountered this problem before and it's becoming a real thorn.

My PC will not boot unless I have an ancient card slotted in. They're cards with 512 MB of VRAM. The motherboard has no on-board video so this is what I used to boot the system after my previous card quit.

If the old card is NOT installed then the motherboar beeps at me to tell me that it can not communicate with the video card. That's according to the MB's manual.

If it is installed then the motherboard will boot. Sometimes it tries to use the old card and sometimes it uses the new card.

Now starting yesterday the system began to lock up and quit. The screen goes black, the audio locks into a loop of repeating the last tiny piece of audio, and I have to hold the power button to shut it down.

Normally I would think that the video card is over heating, but I've used both MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z (separately) to monitor temps and it never goes above 65.

I have changed the BIOS to adjust which display device is booted first and that does not change any of this behavior. I've swapped the BIOS option between PCI and each of the PEG (PCI-Express) options. I have also chose the BIOS "Fail Safe" settings to ensure that all settings are as compatible as possible.

It doesn't matter which PCI-Express slot the cards are plugged into.

Thanks for any assistance. This issue is completely new to me so I'm basically lost.

Card: MSI R9 380 Gaming 4G
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology GA-890FXA-UD5
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Has this issue just started or been like this?

Maybe the 380 only has a UEFI driver and the bios driver isn't being initialized, that's why the old card is working since it does not support the UEFI driver.

Have you tried updating your mobo bios + gpu bios?

3. talis

talis Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 GAMING 4G
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I did as you suggested and updated the BIOS. The system has boot twice in a row without the old card inserted (normal boot, normal restart, normal boot). Knock on wood that I'm not just lucky, but this may have done the trick. :cheers:

UPDATE: Nope, it was blind luck. The system is back to behaving that way this morning.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  4. talis

talis Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 GAMING 4G
    Nope, it was blind luck. The system is back to behaving that way this morning.

5. basco

basco Member Guru

GPU:
    560tfII
    quote:Sometimes it tries to use the old card and sometimes it uses the new card

so you installed both at the same time?
    did you use the system with other windows version?

if i google win10+amd phenom 1100 i get a lot win 10 freezes,locks up.
    so maybe just win10

6. talis

talis Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 GAMING 4G
    I'm forced to use both at the same time. If I do not use both then the motherboard does not boot.

Everything else runs smoothly, thankfully.

7. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    Have you done a full CMOS reset on your motherboard? I'd remove the CMOS battery to completely clear everything.