1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc Powering Problem - Help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hondreros, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Hondreros

Hondreros Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Okay guys, so basically I had my computer on as usual while I was at school, and when I came back I found it turned off, after being told there was a power-cut. When I try to switch it on, the CPU heatsink and case fans switched on, and then a second after they switch off, and switch on again. This keeps looping unless I cut the power out myself [i.e removing the plug or turning the power switch off]

Any idea how I can fix this? This just happened out of the blues, and my computer was running perfectly before this.

Help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. Helpful

Helpful Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Sounds like the voltage regulator circuit has been damaged by a power spike when the power was restored to the house line. This happens quite a bit.
    I always shut down and unplug everything when I leave.
    Is it under warranty still? This is repairable, but not by those not technically qualified, as the capacitors inside can hold a full charge, and dying hurts!

3. Hondreros

Hondreros Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Hmm, well I might strip my whole box down and set it up again maybe it works.

Btw, what's the voltage regulator circuit? Is it in the PSU or something? Sorry, bit noobish about this stuff.

4. Hondreros

Hondreros Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Okay nevermind, fixed the problem, turned out that I just had to remove the mobo Battery =]

Thanks anyway.

5. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    You seriously go around unplugging all of your equipment before you go out? That seems a bit drastic.

6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    Probably one of those people that doesnt like to waste electricity. Pretty wierd if you ask me.

Noes i must make sure all my plugs are turned off when theres nothing in them
    haha

7. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    When I got away on vacation I unplug computers at the very least. Generally my modem and amp too.