PC Noise Questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vTune, Jul 6, 2014.

1. vTune

vTune Guest

GPU:
    780 GHz 3GB (will oc soon
    So my old build was a HAF-932 which pretty much meant there was no way for a silent, powerful PC. Now that I have been using a 750D for a while, there are a few things I am curious about to minimize noise in Idle.

So just to give you an Idea of my system besides what is already on the left:
    I am using a Lamptron FC5 to control my two front case fans individually, my 2 SP120 fans for the H105 (1 knob) and my LEDs (1 knob).
    The SP120s are surprisingly quiet at 3-5V so they are no issue. My front fans are only audible above 9V too, though I always wondered why one runs at 1200rpm and the other at 800rpm max ^^
    1 140mm case fan at the rear, and 1 120mm case fan at the bottom which are both disabled below 50% system load.
    My Hardrives (2 WD Caviar Black, 1 Seagate Barracuda) are only noticeable when the case is open.
    The PSU (HX1000) is quiet as well (and actually works unlike the RM850 :bang: ).
    The GPU is quiet as well. The DVD drive is super loud, but a little punch to the case and its fine :) Also, i rarely use it.
    So really only a X-Fi Forte, the pump, the ram and the Motherboard are left. The pump is humming ever so slightly, but not enough to be heard with the case closed. Soundcard and Ram seem ridiculous as sources.

So really all that is left is the motherboard with all its transistors, capacitors and what not. But should that really make so much noise?

I hope you guys have an answer, preferably something fixable ;)

-vTune

2. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    From the description of your setup,it seems your rig is already silent. Just how noisy is it? Just how quiet do you think it can be? Do you have a phone app or some way to measure that noise? You say that all of your hardware is running silent. I would say you don't have a problem.

3. vTune

vTune Guest

GPU:
    using an app i got the following results:

42dB where I am sitting
    54dB in the PC, laying on the PSU
    35dB at the other end of the room
    32dB outside the room, door closed

Interstingly enough, I can't hear it at all outside the room, yet as soon as I am in the room, even though there is only a 3dB difference it is very noticable. I'd like it to be about as quiet as a tablet or small notebook aka. silent

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Water cool EVERYTHING, replace HDDs with SSDs

5. vTune

vTune Guest

GPU:
    "watercool everything" do you think I could add the 780 to the H105 loop?

Also, I have 3 SSDs, but until 2Tb SSDs are out and below 300 bucks, i'll pass on exchanging all HDDs

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    You know, I never would've believed that air cooling could be quiet, but I'm using the tt urban T81 and I plugged all of the fans into my mobo. Asus does a really really good job with the fan control software it came with. I can't hear this thing. Like, I'm guessing it's making less than 10db where I'm sitting (less than 3 feet away). This is all with air cooling devices. I don't have any watercooling whatsoever.

Of course my gpu makes a ton of noise once it spools up, but it's got the standard cooler on it.

Maybe look for a case with almost all 200mm fans and run them as low as possible when not gaming?

This is coming from an Antec 1200 where it was pretty unbearable even at idle. I'm guessing 40db+.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    No, if you have 4770K @ 4.7ghz that H105 needs all the power, also its not possible as far as Im aware.

I have Haf932 now and well its kinda silent, but I capped all fans in bios with Q-fan,. So far the noisiest part is my custom Push Pull fans @ H90, even in idle, bios q-fan has 60% min limit and I cant go around it..
    Guess I will need fan regulator for that, something like this
    http://www.lamptron.com/product/legacy/fc6/

Maybe you need a fan controller too?

btw how much Volts do you need for 4.7ghz? :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  8. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Q-Fan won't let you below 60% fans speeds but using Fan Xpert in Windows will.

9. vTune

vTune Guest

GPU:
    1.25V for 4.7GHz, 1.4V for 4.9GHz, 1.475V for 5GHz [that last one without HP though] :)

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Nice chip, mine needs 1.27v, 4.8ghz 1.334v.. Didnt try higher though :nerd:

So even with fan controller its not silent enough? ^^

Cool, never thought about this.. Can I install this separate or is it part of AI suite?

11. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    With the AI suite you don't have to install the entire thing, I just have the front end and Fan Xpert installed.

12. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Want an AIO cooler that will also cool your video cards? The Swiftech H220x is about to be released. All the pump power you should need. Watch the video found here http://www.swiftech.com/

13. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    If you haven't already, try disconnecting each fan one at a time. I had the same issue with the 650D and while reducing fan rpm helped, it didn't eliminate the problem.

What solved the issue in my case was too remove the perforated mash grill for the fans. It also greatly increased airflow and lowered temps, which again reduced noise further by requiring lower fan rpm to achieve better results.