PC Monitor Shipments Plummet 18.3% YoY in 4Q22: IDC Report

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I am surprised it is not a higher percentage. Who wants a 4K monitor if they can't afford a GPU to use use it properly?

3. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I would not mind one , if my job demanded to fit more on the screen , 4k is not good only for gaming!

EspHack and tunejunky like this.
  4. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    I am surprised it isn't a bigger drop as more and more people move away from using PCs all together. Most use laptops if they even use a computer at all with many preferring to use tablets or even simply their phones, especially now as pretty much any new TV is a 'smart' TV with streaming and internet services built in. Desktop computers and their screens are an ever decreasing minority.

5. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Don't forget, a LOT of people are buying TVs as gaming displays, especially those that love OLED !

LG C1/2 are superior in every way to 99% of the monitors out there.
    I am typing on a C9 right now... and probably won't be buying another "monitor" ever again. Next display is going to be a C3 or C4, probably 42" or so...

GarrettL, EspHack, Valken and 7 others like this.
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yup - I haven't bought a monitor in over a decade and I don't see that changing any time soon. Monitors are weirdly expensive compared to similarly spec'd TVs, but they lack all the TV features.

However, I do whatever I can to avoid smart TVs. If I find myself upgrading and have no choice but to deal with the smart feature, I might consider getting a replacement controller board.

tunejunky likes this.
  7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    You can simply not connect it to the internet... it's not like the TV guesses your wifi password on its own...

EspHack, Valken, tunejunky and 2 others like this.
  8. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I stopped gaming on a monitor when I threw out my old CRT monitor back in 2008, because I bought a 46" 720p LED Samsung TV. ...Then in 2009 I upgraded to a 50" Plasma Pioneer Kuro TV (which technically was labeled as a monitor due to how high end & cutting edge it was). Finally in 2016 I switched to, & am still using a 120" LCD Sony projector [screen].

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Ironically, vast majority of people I know got rid of their 4k monitors for work and went 34 inch 144p Ultrawides or 49 inch 1440p superwides. They couldnt stand 16:9 anymore.
    A buddy who does drafting just got a 5k ultrawide and literally sold his 32 inch 4k panel for peanuts basically.

As for sales. You have people who refuse to buy anything but 16:9, the high refresh rate e sports players, and the smaller market of people like me who buy big ass expensive ultrawide monitors and wont upgrade for a long time.

tunejunky likes this.
  10. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    4K TV 120 refresh rate...pick your size.

nuff said.

EspHack, Valken, Maddness and 3 others like this.
  11. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    no thanks i prefer eyefinity.
    they turn off when not in use.
    imagine having this wide screen on 24,7 would do ya head in for sure.

12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    What I was saying is that 4k is not just for gaming happy you are happy with your monitor though!

13. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    yea i assume most people with a decent LCD/IPS monitor aren't looking forward to doubling what they spent on it for marginal (higher HDR standard / higher refresh rate ) increases.

unless my monitor dies outside of warrenty i'd only ever replace it if a reasonably priced decent oled/QD-Oled/mini LED were out and most of those are still uninteresting due to price.../ potential burn-in issue's with the oled's down the line.

i've just never really seen a monitor like a GPU something that you probably would like to replace every couple of years for more performance/features...if it works it works it's not the thing holding down my framerate from time to time or causing frame drops or lag so it's a low priority to replace whenever something improves and with OLED where in 3 years you might have burn in and need to replace the panel to get rid of it...that is just not an appealing ship to get on right now imo.

only time i ever just got a monitor is my current one where i went from 27" ghosting VA > 27" non ghosting IPS with HDR and G-sync compatibility...it's not great HDR by any means but it's enough to understand what it's trying to do and make the next monitor require a HDR600+ or ideally trueblack 400/600 checkbox.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm not concerned about security. I'm concerned about it taking longer to boot and potentially adding latency. You will have these problems regardless of connecting it.

EspHack likes this.
  15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT

Despite the fact that my 1080ti doesn`t have the firepower necessary to driver my current UW 144Hz screen, i wouldn`t mind replacing it with another one with better image quality, but a better screen than mine costs more than 800€, so no thanks...

That`s the case with my TV. But i still wonder if the TV is spying on me anyway...:eek:

Airbud likes this.
  16. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    I'm interested in those that use a TV as gaming PC gaming screens, what's your setup actually like? Surely the TV isn't on the desk, so do you have a desk with the mouse/keyboard and the TV on a wall a couple meters away? Is the desk away from a wall? Or do you use like a lap style desk and sit on a couch in the front room for example? I have no desire to use a TV and sit 2-3 feet away from it.

As for ultrawides, I tried a 34" screen when they first came out and hated it. Went straight back to 2x screens. I much prefer 1 screen directly in front for main work or gaming and a secondary screen to the right of the 1st and angled for secondary work, media players ect.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Would love to get new monitor if prices where not stupid compared tv prices for price of 27-32 monitor you could cant 40 inch or bigger tv. then again one reason why I keep coming back to 24 tn is qaulity and quality control have gone dont the crappier since i bought that monitor.

one petvee about monitor is there for the cost they could atlest get a remote so we dont have fumble around on monitor to changes setting and inputs or change the volume if monitor has speakers.

all i want is 27" no bigger then that monitor that isnt IPS or horrid VA panel that 4k that isnt gona TN barely made these days and VA panels that dont massive response time issue or horride overshoot are almost as rare and actuan TN monitor being made these days. but there all ridiculously price when think about price to size ratio

by the time oled is actual affordable, which is not as still ridiculous priced I will be dead or there be another tech replacing. LG C2 42 Oled that make sense from price stand point

vestibule likes this.

18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i have the Asus 42" oled and i use table mount to have the monitor flush at the back of the desk

19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    the main reason i went w/ oled was that i was replacing a vintage oled 1080p/60Hz that i've owned for almost ten years plus it allows me to convert the htpc into a dedicated mediaserver. swapping out the big old oled for a small 27" makes the den feel bigger too.

but yeah unless you have a specialized case a TV is just a better deal to game on and every top brand has VRR at much cheaper prices

Valken and Maddness like this.
  20. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Since we're talking about monitors, here's my last contribution to the monitor market.
    After these, the OLED TV came, and I'm not going back to LCD, that's for sure.

monitors.jpg

EspHack, Valken, Undying and 7 others like this.
  21. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Of all the PC hardware, during times of financial pressure, a monitor gives less bang for buck as far as performance goes.
    You could buy a high end GPU or a new Mobo/CPU/RAM or a new case and custom loop, or a new monitor.

tunejunky likes this.
  22. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    people buy more PCs because of Covid
    PCs become more expensive
    people buy less PCs because they are expensive
    PCs become even more expensive
    people buy even less PCs because they are expensive
    sales drop and all the companies show the same tendency
    management still doesn't lower prices

Can't believe those people get paid for their "management".

Embra, tunejunky, Valken and 4 others like this.
  23. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I know.. but that is how the current system works.

[​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.