PC Master Race trash talk...what the hell is it about?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by pimp_gimp, Jun 3, 2014.

1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    I've seen it everywhere. Honestly what is the PC master race stuff about? Not everyone has the money to spend uber amounts of money on a gaming PC, nor do they have the time or the will to mess with drivers, game settings, etc. I'm honestly trying to understand it. What makes someone with PC so much better than their console counterpart? A game is meant for entertainment, why bash what a person plays it on? Honestly today's PC gamers are a sad looking bunch I remember back when gaming was all about having fun. When did it become some stupid competitive contest to see who has the bigger e-peen?

2. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Some people love to try and justify their purchases mate (especially when it gives them the opportunity to condescend in the process).

Personally, I love my Xbone and my 360 and I spend plenty of time on them.

In a world where many people can't convey their ill perceived 'superiority' in RL social situations, it's easier to wave the ubiquitous 'e-peen' around on the internet and everyone is just sooooooooooooooooooooooooo impressed :rolleyes:

As long as you are enjoying yourself and your gear, f**k what anyone else thinks :D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  3. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I think PC gaming always had that element of "I can play this game on a better resolution or settings than you", but it was only between PC gamers. The last gen consoles and the multy platform games that came out near the end of their log cycle were the reason for this "master race" BS. For the first time there were games that were on PC and consoles and they looked better on the PC. So PC games can now bash not other PC gamers, but those on consoles too. I think is an absolute BS, but hey - some people need to feel better about spending three times more money for their PC to play the same game on better quality. It is better no doubt, but is it 3-4 times better? I think not. Also some don't understand that not everyone can be bothered to tweak, fix and what not every damn game. Especially nowadays were most of the PC games are broken on release. After a long day at work you just want to relax with a game and not mess with software. I think most of those PC master race guys are young guys with much free time and messed priorities in life. I know, because I was (kind of) one of them.

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    I don't care what anyone thinks I was just curious as to why people do it because when I was a teenager nobody cared it seemed. Gaming was all about enjoyment and getting together with your friends, playing on whatever was available. These days the PC gamers bash the consoles and vice versa. Whatever happened to playing a game just to play a game?

Yeah. I remember those days. That seems like forever ago when PC gamers competed on who had the better system. Honestly the whole new attitude could just be the new wave of PC gamers thing, as an older PC gamer I don't remember ever doing it, I just remember playing playing lots of games. It didn't matter the system, just that I was enjoying myself as was whoever I was playing with.

5. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    The industry underwent a massive change, that's what happened in a nutshell.

It used to be a fringe thing where creativity > money, now it is the diametric opposite.

6. brendanvista

brendanvista Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I wouldn't say it's about epeen.
    I think (in an idealized form) it's about educating people about how computers have changed.
    -You can easily hook a computer up to a TV.
    -Drivers are so much easier. Game settings are auto optimized.
    -Graphics are better. Next gen consoles aren't even doing 1080p. Watchdogs runs at 792p on the XBOX One, and 900p on the PS4.

And these next gen consoles aren't as far ahead of PC tech as the last ones were at launch. You can build a PC for $700 that is as fast or faster than a next gen console pretty easily. In a year or two, that won't be hard at all. And with a PC, you get tweakable graphics, more exclusives, RTS games, a PC to do other stuff, upgradability, game mods, a mouse and keyboard to aim, and last but not least, Steam. Steam and the humble bundle and other sources can get you a lot of games for significantly less than anywhere you can buy console games.

I think all this information, which isn't common knowledge, gives those who have PCs the idea that they are enlightened, and that other people aren't. Often console gamers spout the same information Sony or M$ gave them about how shared memory will make the new consoles super amazebalz, which isn't true. I'm not trying to justify the movement, but simply explain it.

7. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    -snip-

8. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    If the PC community is enlightened then why do they go about it in such a seemingly asinine way when they try to explain it to console gamers? It really seems a bit silly to me.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    I think that the "Next-Gen" consoles definitely added fuel to the fire regarding this whole PC Master Race debacle. These consoles failed to live up to the expectations of 1080p at 60fps and therefore PC users "won" this round so to speak.

But still, the discussion of performance vs dollar is very interesting and important. Consoles cost less, the games cost more, consoles have many exclusive titles but consoles perform worse. PCs cost more, games cost less, PCs perform way better but can be more troublesome to optimise.

Since development of games is so centralised around consoles, PC ports are rarely enhanced enough to make use of our PCs enormous processing power which is sad. So PC Master Race in all glory - though we don't have much to be masters over.

10. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Some PC gamers are extremely insecure and need to bump their chest at EVERY possible occasion.

PC gaming isn't superior to console gaming by any stretch of the imagination and vice versa, it all boils down to personnal preferences and trade-offs.

Done.

11. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
  12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    good point!

13. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    I don't think I ever watched his review for that game. Now I see how I missed where "The PC master race" comes from.

14. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 4GB GDDR5
    Its Zero Punctuation. They always used over the top jokes / humours etc in their review.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Punctuation

The PC Master Race was a joke to begin with but some people created a circle jerks community upon it and dissing console players.

It also doesn't help and only add fuels to the fire when developers cater to the lowest spectrum of raw power and screwed up big time for every major multiplatform games. They even openly spewed out non-sense that 60 FPS is overrated yet theit game is actually sub 30 due to their crappy port and optimization. Not to mentioned with all those low res texture and upscaled resolution.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Mine is better than yours has been going on since the dawn of time. I can pull magazines out of my attic right now showing heated discussions from the last 3 decades. One that always sticks in my head is when Justin swords, an Atari 1040 stfm user called all amiga owners dickheads. This was at the time when Justin had just won a competition at c&vg magazine getting the highest score on taitos 1989 coin-op game operation wolf. When he got down to c&vg headquarters in earls court he was swamped by atari st users and almost got his head punched in..true story.

Going back before that to the mid 1980s crash magazine had a section of there magazine called hbm (hate by mail). The amount of arguments that went on here about whose machine was better regarding c64 and spectrum were legendary. I used to see this in all the magazines released around that time like.....crash,Sinclair user,your Sinclair,zzap,commodore user,ace,zero,the one,amtix,amiga st format,cvg,amiga st power,computer express, games machine,edge etc etc.

C64 v speccy v cpc 464
    St v amiga v pc
    Atari 2600 vs colecovision v intellivision v binatone
    Gameboy vs gamegear v atari lynx v pc engine gt v bandai wonderswan
    Snes v megadrive/genesis
    Master system v nes
    X68000 v fm towns
    Dragon oric v tandy
    Nvidia vs ati
    Intel v amd

I could go on and on...

Not one month went by without atleast one letter in each magazine regarding mine is better than yours. The only thing that has changed is technology advancement and the internet. Apart from that nothing has from my experience.

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  17. Dorlor

Dorlor Banned

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Well, personally i usually find that the people who choose to game on consoles, are usually less enlightend about tech, and everything related to it... hence why they tend to believe everything sony / Microsoft marketing tells them.

I think the above thought is pretty common amongst pc users, which is probably where the phrase "pc master race" (which i dislike) origins from.

That, along with the more powerful pc hardware available, but you get basically get what you pay for, in regards to both pc and consoles.

18. Dorlor

Dorlor Banned

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Isnt this true for every Group of humans that exist, or has ever existed? There are bound to be some of them, who suffer from insecurity issues.

19. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    JetStream 980Ti
    [​IMG]

Go home peasant, you're drunk.

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Consoles suck. PC rules.

See what I did there???????