PC Gaming Piracy

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by tahirahmed, Dec 8, 2009.

1. idx

idx Banned

GPU:
    zotac/9800GTX+ amp/512 mb
    haw do you know ? maybe they are making more money than 10 nasa"s

you dont see vga selling madness that is going on these days ?

most of today's cards are rebrand weather you know it or not ..
    just a little oced here and there , fewer extra memory band occasionally .

last year i bought the 9xxx series high end card 9800gtx+ can you
    tell me what was inside the box? its ok we talked about it before
    its just an 8800 gtx in a new cover .

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=299710

2. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    they want pc gaming dead cous pc are expansive if they force everyone on consoles since those are cheap people have more money left to buy games.

so actualy most game devs trying to kill it.
    or least my opinion

anyway there just greedy atm

3. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    We're getting accidentally trolled here gentlemen in case none of you noticed...

Please proceed with the useless arguments that lead to no conclusions... it's really entertaining.

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    idx: i'm not trying to be rude.... but maybe you should think about what you said a bit before you say it. 9800GTX+ was a rebrand? Well, not exactly since IIRC, the 9800's were basically the 8-series.... but with a smaller manufacturing process... as you said in the post you linked to. You also have to remember that, back when NVidia actually released the 9-series...... ATI was still trying to catch up to the 8800GTX. It took ATI quite a while to catch up. Don't think that happened til the HD 3xxx series.... maybe the 4xxx series. So NVidia wasn't really being pressured to release a newer, faster card. If they did, they probably would have had to price it at the same range as their at-the-time top of the line card was. But if they did that, they'd have probably lost quite a bit of money due to manufacturing costs. That's probably the main reason you don't see a 100% complete from the ground up GPU very often. production costs would need to be compensated for by the MSRP. Yes, there are people that spend the utter highest amount of money possible for hardware (Like those that buy the Intel Extreme Edition CPU's and such).... but the VAST majority of people don't see that as being really necessary, especially the bulk of the people here at Guru3D.

Kinda had a deja-vu moment with that.....

Stormy: On top of what Stukov said about basically needing two DVD drives (unless the drive had some sort of split grip where the outer ring would press down if the hole was smaller)..... It also falls back to the idea of hardware manufacturers. They'd be manufacturing something that people either wouldn't want, or wouldn't do any good. You're talking about discs.... but there are also virtual drives.... which as you may be aware, are quite good at emulation. Also, physical modification of the disc (especially a notch as you mentioned) could adversely affect the stability of the disc. We all remember that whole thing about discs exploding in drives? That was generally due to there being a chip in the disc somewhere..... typically either at the center hole, or along the edge, that tipped the disc off balance when spinning at high speeds.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah, but it wasn't as widespread 20 years ago as it is now.

We can thank the evolution of the internet for that.... :)

6. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670
    Love your avatar

7. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Pillmonster: I guess someone doesn't remember the fact that floppies practically didn't have any copy protection? And the internet did exist then..... just not remotely as fast as we have now.

Corrupt: that's something i forgot to mention. recycled textures and such being a bad thing? It's a game running on the same engine as it's prequel...... and.... it's a sequel, that's released only 2 years after it's predecessor. if you were expecting miracles.... you only let yourself down. Also not sure what you meant by them nerfing the competiton online. I heavily enjoy the online multiplayer in MW2. Last time i touched World at War was a month ago. Hell, i bought Left 4 Dead 2 when it came out, and only played it once or twice. I'm just enjoying MW2 too much. And i've already seen it saying there were 99,xxx players online at one point when i paid attention to that.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i just wonder how music pirating was when cds were like 11 bucks and suddenly went to more like 20 bucks overnight all in the name of fighting pirating. did that price jump encourage people to buy more cds or pirate more cds?

i know i used to buy alot more cds when they were 11 12 bucks a pop and did not feel too bad when you occasionally got the crappy one with one good song out of the lot, i also used to buy more cds on a whim compared to when they jumped in price. and i am willing to bet this is the same for many other people as music companies went the route of higher prices to "fight" piracy.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What do you mean? You think I wasn't using a C64 to copy floppy disks in the computer lab after school..?

My point was that piracy has always been around, but it was the explosion of Broadband use in the mid 90's that took it to the level it is now.. That's a fact.

10. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    I say **** game developers,nowadays.:puke2: Ripping people off with higher prices and less user support.

They are just trying to kill pc gaming so they can rake in more dough on consoles and using piracy as a scapegoat.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009

11. jackttt

jackttt Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 970
    Modern warfare 2. Damn that activision Kottick guy

12. LostHH

LostHH Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD6950
    Yer... because developing games is a cheap business. LOL

13. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    yer...greedy, moneygrubbing game developers.

14. LostHH

LostHH Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD6950
    Blame the publishers if anything. Could never blame some programmers who work most weekends to get a product out all the while with the publishers breathing down their necks bugging them all the time to get it out for set date.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'm not saying that I was expecting something revolutionary but when u recycle more then half of the stuff from a previous game you shouldn't charge €60, especially when nerfing the multiplayer, the reason why people would play the game longer then 4 hours :x

Online competition is nerfed like this:

Matches are 5vs5, at least one of the clans has a server with a password. Matches are played with plugins such as promod (restarting the game, disabling unwanted features, ...)
    The best clan wins and get's the prize (especially on lan)

It's just a simple view but in order to have a perfect fair game you don't want people pinging at 100 and 1 guy at 0...

With all due respect to those who just want to have fun with an online game, I prefer competition, just playing on a random server (public) is boring and unchallenging to me.

16. idx

idx Banned

GPU:
    there nothing to think about when am telling you numbers .

8600GT > 9500GT > GT120
    8800GS > 9600GSO
    8800GTS > 9800GTX > 9800GTX+ > GTS250
    8500GT > 9400GT
    8800GT 512MB/1GB > 9800GT
    GTX295 cut in half = GTX 275

* when > means re-brand

ati dose the same and the 48xx series was a re-brand of the 47xx series

and the 4890, its basically just a 4870 capable of much higher clock speeds.

you can think what you want but its very easy these days to get caught
    up in vga strategy market not knowing whats a new card or a re-brand
    just like it happened to me thats all am saying
    i could have bought a GTX 260 easily but i thought the 9800gtx+ is a
    high end card and its better than a lower end card of the 200 series
    am new to all this anyway so dont take offense if i messed up

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't believe piracy is as bad as they make out, but as long as PC game sales are so much lower than console game sales, then they are going to keep using this excuse.

I don't think the games are that expensive, especially not on the PC, i remember paying £70 for a console game about 15years ago, i've never paid more than £30 for a PC game.
    These days games have budgets as big as movies, with hollywood actors doing voice work and composers doing the music, as well as thousands of staff working on the game.
    None of that comes cheap.

I hate that PC games are delayed though, but while part of me thinks it to make sure enough people buy the console version first, since that is where MS and Sony make their money, i also think its because the PC usually costs more money and takes more time to develop for.

18. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    My mobo has a TPM module.

As far as I was aware I thought it was for cryptographic functions like encrypting hard disk and stuff?

19. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    idx: not even sure why you threw the GTX 295 into that mix. can't really call something a rebrand when it's two GPU's on one card. It's just a different way of using technology, offering a possibility of extreme performane in small spaces. You can fit a GTX 295 into more situations than you can a pair of GTX 275's.

And yes.... i know cards get rebranded quite often..... although i'm fairly certain that the ATI 47xx and 48xx were the same card line, just the 48xx's were targeted more for the enthusiast market, whereas the 47xx's were the mainstream cards..... just as NVidia has the GTX for enthusiast, GTS for mainstream, and GT for budget. ATI has been churning out new product lines quite rapidly. Think they moved from the HD 3xxx to the HD 4xxx in no more than 6 months.

Concerning your 9800GTX+ and a GTX 260.... i'm pretty sure the GTX 260 would still be quite a nice bump in performance compared to the 9800GTX+.

Corrupt: Have you actually played the multiplayer for any length of time? It doesn't really seem to pin you with people based on what rank they are. It seems to go more by your general performance in-game. Like i said.... i've been playing it since it's release.... which has been a month now.... and i enjoy every second of it. That could also be because i don't do any of the boring crap like camp...... but hey.... there are people that just LOVE camping, and don't see anything wrong with it.

As for the multiplayer competition bit..... the only time where your arguement is understandable, especially based on the ping, is in a LAN situation. playing an online match with a dedicated server in other games (For example, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, since it's something i can think of quite easily with an example), one's ping is MUCH better if closer to the location of said dedicated server. the HL2DM clan i'm in has a server in like.... New York or something.... and i live in Pennsylvania. I generally get single-digit ping, or in the low teens, in that server.... whereas most others get somewhat higher.

Even concerning MW2's online multiplayer, instances of lag are few and far between. I've seen more instances of failed host migrations than lag.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  20. idx

idx Banned

GPU:
    thats exactly what i am trying to say . they dont care if pc games sold
    less than console games also they are cheaper because no buddy pays
    3000 $ for a gaming console but they do pay them for gaming pcs
    and these company's share the same industry and would benefit in the
    same way .

ElementalDragon we agree on the main lines , am too much of a newbie
    to be accurate in details .