PC Gamers GTX 280 review, and its barely faster than the 3870 X2

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Rich_Guy, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2

While the X2 may essentially be a dual solution, it still holds one PCB. One which is a fraction of the price and capable of playing any game on the market well. I can and will call a minor increase when a solution on a single PCB barely improves upon that. Not to mention, in no point of any "review" if you can call them that, showed a literal double overall increase.

If you want to sing the praises of Nvidia, feel free. I'm a realist. It doesn't matter whether it's dual GPU or not. All that matters is performance/cost. That is how 90% of the market buys. It's a small increase, get over it.

2. maxrep12

maxrep12 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 460TALON sli 920/2120
    There sure seem to be no shortage of doomsday graphic card blowhards. The year of 08 has produced unprecedented value and performance options. I've seen 9800gx2 cards for as little as $419. The most likely scenario is that gtx 280 cards will follow suit and decrease in cost in a short span of time. We are not looking at the bygone days of the 8800 ultra cards that retailed near $900.

If the ATI 4xxx series can hold their own, then pricing of the gtx 280 will reflect a more competitive stance. Best buy had some 8800 gt cards for $149. I can't think of a better time to be in the market for a graphics card, whether for a single unit, or dual cards in sli.

One plus that may have already been mentioned, is that the gtx 280 should scale quite a bit better than the 9800gx2 in sli, as it is a single gpu.

I think many folk need to take a serious look at their cpu as a bottle neck. I've got my e8400 cranked up to 4.2, my dual gts 512 OC cards are screamin as well, my frame rates are off the charts, and people still complain about Nvidia's new card. I'd like to get the gtx 280, but I don't even need it. Nvidia has served us well this year, and prices will continue to drop.

3. deaffob

deaffob Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 @ 900/1200
    This is very disappointing, I mean only small amount of people would buy gtx now. I mean who would pay that kind of money for just a small increase? I would rather buy 8800gts(g92) or 9800gx2 after they release those, cause by then 8s and 9s's price would go down and we are all happy. IMHO $650 for 280gtx2 is the right price.

4. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    Well then, I guess we can agree that for people who don't care about price/perf, the card won't be a "total failure". :banana:

That's great and good for you. But just because you feel that way, doesn't mean every does. And that doesn't make the card a failure when we already know there will be those that will get it even at those prices.

The GTX280 is far faster than my 8800gtx, is a single gpu card which doesn't have all the quirks associated with Dual GPU configs, uses far less power at idle, and has better geometry shading performance. Not exactly the definition of a "total failure" in my book.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008

5. GalantVR41062

GalantVR41062 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Vega 64 CF
    CPU bottle neck? Is there a single CPU that can keep up with a Tri SLI setup like this?

~John

6. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    How exactly are they going to lose out?? They're going to have the fastest single card GPU at the uber high end with the price tag and ALSO have mid end gpus already positioned in mid low end price segments for those who don't or can't afford it. You guys keep stating that the mid end is where the money is at, well it seems to me that they already have cards positioned there already. The GTX280 is not going to be positioned there, so why would the inclusion of it make them lose out?

7. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    Depends on what your definition of worth it is. From my perspective, it's well worth it considering I've never been fond of multi gpu configurations in their current incarnations and because everyone's definition of "playable" is subjective.

8. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    Although I don't agree with the post you're referring to, calling people idiots because you don't agree with how they spend their money, doesn't exactly make you much either.

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ you guys are just talking symantics and getting away from what this is all about. Just my opinion..

There is no real reason to upgrade when all you're getting are moderate increases in performance, and I think most people would agree. I just got a flyer from ncix and you can get a 9800GTX for $250 CDN.. and then there are people like me still using an 8800 and it can handle pretty much anything at high res.

It is impressive that the 280 is a single card and can pull that kinda processing, but for the money and lack of games out right now, i dunno who is gonna sell their kidneys for one...

10. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    You're putting way too much emotion into Video cards if you actually comprehended comparing them to Hitler. :puke2: The general market also said the 2900xt was going to murder the 8800gtx. And it's the small minority that buys the uber high end, not the general market.

In any case, much of this argument will be settled on Monday. ;)

11. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    Wait a minute here. 8800gtx is not the top card these days. I compared 8800gtx to the top card 1,5 years ago and said it was truly FAR BETTER.

You should compare GTX280 with 9800gx2 ? It's definitely not anything groundbreaking compared to 9800gx2 and from what it seems it won't be anything groundbreaking compared to Ati offerings @ current time, unlike 8800gtx. No comparison there really. And don't start the silly "single vs dual" argument again. When we compare 2 cards, we should do it around the same price range.

12. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    Why? Because everyone these days has the 9800gx2 right? Nope. Well, everyone has the 3870x2 right? Nope. Does everyone like dealing with the quirks associated with Dual gpu configs?? Nope.

So then, why? Why should we only compare it to the 9800gx2?

If you knew anything about dual gpu configs, you should already understand why the distinction is made between single and dual gpus even when they're on the same pcb.

13. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    Oh man....it's useless trying to argue with you. Nevermind. Buy what you want and enjoy your card(s).

14. deaffob

deaffob Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 @ 900/1200
    Because 9800gx2 is the best card at the moment(before the new ones come out) that's why we are comparing gtxs to 9800gx2. If 9800gtx is the best at the moment then we would compare the gtxs to 9800gtx. The point here is simple. The new gtxs cost $200dollars or more than 9800gx2 and it's not that better than 9800gx2. It doesn't matter if it's one card or not. The price is just not right. It would make more sense if 280gtx2 is $300 dollars more expensive.

15. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    9800GX2 - 24" Dell 2408WFP
    Wow! Ive read a few reviews now and I have definetly made the best choice getting my 9800GX2.

The 9800GX2 was getting slammed by loads of people who said it was stupid not waiting for the GTX280, now who looks stupid?

16. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    Well...I won't call you stupid, but I don't think it was a wise decision though. Of course, if it was that urgent, maybe it is justified. However, if I were you, I'd wait a bit, see how both ATI and NVIDIA new offerings perform, check prices and then make up my mind :)

You've got a pretty beefy rig though ;)

17. deaffob

deaffob Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 @ 900/1200
    Ya I wouldn't call you stupid either but if you waited a little more until they release these new cards, you could've saved a few bucks cause by then 9800gx2 would be cheaper.

18. simo2k

simo2k Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780ti sc
    cant the mods please lock this thread. your all head doin wait for the damn reviews and then start a thread about which card is better...

19. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)
    It's a 2x over my 8800 GTX. What makes you think I care about people who buy X2 graphics cards?

20. rayzorz

rayzorz Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680
    there's a new short review of the gtx 280 on vr zone if you haven't read it.
    Doesn't look that good though.