PC Gamers GTX 280 review, and its barely faster than the 3870 X2

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Rich_Guy, Jun 13, 2008.

1. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    That article says it beats it in 3dmark Vantage. It doesn't even mention anything about actual games.

2. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    Guys let me tell you... it might almost be time to actually *buy* Crysis... ;)

Well thats all I can say except, does anyone like Nirvana??? :D

3. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    Impressive? @ 590 euros (pre-order price on dutch site) while the 3870x2 costs 280 ???????!?!

A total failure I'd say unless the price comes down to 300 or sth.

Remember, it's the price that matters, not how it performs as a single card.

Besides we don't even have 4870 + 4850 numbers (well, we have some 4850). The way things go though, I really think Nvidia are going to seriously lose this round, which is quite a good thing for consumers :)

4. Steven Hone

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    Are you totally sure? ;)

5. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    Exactly....

6. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    That's a ridiculous statement. Price doesn't mean jack squat at the uber high end. Especially when there's nothing there to compete against it. At that market, performance is all that matters. There have been cards that were that price in the past and they were far from a "total failure".

You do realize that as a single card it has none of the disadvantages of being a dual GPU configuration like the 3870x2 correct?? And it's 1 Gig of ram will allow it to run games far better when ram limitations become an issue(as demonstrated by the Crysis benches where it's 15x faster than the 3870x2).

I seriously doubt they'll lose this round. In fact, from what I've seen of the 4850, they'll have little competition at the Uber high end again.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  7. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    GARRET

The GTX 280 is over Twice as fast as the 3870x2.....

lol....Go on believing the 3870x2 is the better choice

8. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    Price / Perf ratio. I said the aforementioned comparison of Pc Gamer didn't take into account PRICES.

I didn't say 3870x2 is the better choice. I said, if those numbers are true, GTX280 is going to be Ridiculously high-priced for the performance it offers.

I'd say let's wait for a Comparison of GTX280 / 260 with 4870/4850 INCLUDING a price / performance ratio.

9. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)

Who cares about prices as long as it's reasonable?

Get a job ;)

I do agree on waiting for official reviews and cmparison to 48XX cards though. You have a point there.

10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Proof?

E

11. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)
    Look at the screens where GPU isnt CPU bound...

12. Steven Hone

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    Is the 3870x2 as fast as an 8800 Ultra??

13. Agizor

Agizor Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512MB
    Yeah, who cares if you have to spend ~$250,000 on the Ferrari when you could buy the ~$13,000 Hayabusa that is faster.

I think people have different views on what is 'reasonable' and what is not.

14. GalantVR41062

GalantVR41062 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Vega 64 CF
  15. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Wait until both the cards are officially reviewed before you go all gaagaa about performance/price..

16. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    It's a "total failure" because you take into account price/perf. What about those who couldn't give a rats ass about price/perf, but best of the best. Is it a failure then??

It's high priced, yes. But I actually paid the same when I got my 8800gtx. And my 6800 ultra. What's so different about it now that warrants a "failure" remark exactly?

It's also a single card that is over 2x faster than last generation single cards and even bests or matches the fastest Dual cards out now in the most GPU demanding games. So why exactly is it a failure again?

17. AION

AION Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD3850 OC
    Lemme explain something, in this forum allmost half of the ppl have money to go for ultra high-end... Am I wrong.
    And I state that only like 1/10000 of all graphic card buyers write to these forums.
    And the part who have money are the most interested in writing here.
    I have like 10 friends who own this or last generation cards. (I have 3850, couple of friends have 8800GTS and couple have 7900GS/Gt etc.) And actually none of us had money to even think about buying graphics card for over 250e ever.
    So why U think that nVidia should win the round with the most expensive and the fastest solution?
    No way, the money is moving in 100-200e price range, where 4850 should rock pretty hard.
    And as U probably know the economy of this World is kind of collapsing because of the high oil prices (expensive gasoline). And as the latest surveys reveal - ppl are ready to cut the "spare time" expenses in order to keep their cars going. So the low cost graphics market is growing even bigger while nVidia deploys new ultra high ens solutions...

I have spoken :D

18. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    Because they've been doing that for the past 2 years. :bang:

The 4850 looks to be around the 9800gtx level performance. Yeah, it rocks at ~$200 US, but it's no where near the level of performance of the GTX280.

That's how it's always been. The money is in the mid end, but does Nvidia not already have cards in those price segments? That are also competing well against their ATi counterparts? In any case, if you're concerned about pricing, wait for the price to drop, or buy the second/third/fourth/fifth best. Prices are rarely stagnant like you seem to think it is and depending on the competition from the 4870/r700, it may fall soon or later. The people who want the best will have already pre-ordered the cards.

19. GARRET

GARRET Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    Fivefeet, sorry man, your logic is a royal family's logic.

Paying whatever price for the best is beyond me, and would been the same even if I were loaded. Well, If I were born loaded, maybe I would not care about price/performance.

What I don't like is OVERPRICED products. I wouldn't have any problem if it was actually performing according to its price. I just like to get my money's worth.

And to discuss your 8800gtx story, I think it was much much better than x1950xtx ( or 1900xtx, dont remember which one was top then ). It was 100 euros more expensive than Ati's top card, yet it delivered those 100 euros in performance.

Anyway, I think we'd better wait for more reviews and numbers, as I don't like what I've seen so far.

20. AION

AION Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD3850 OC
    But can U see it from the Ati's point of view? They dont need any performance crown, they need Hit product with decent incomes. They may have a shot with HD4870, but unfortunately it may end up to be second HD3870, pretty good and pretty affordable but not great. Or would have been great without 9600GT, 8800GS, 8800GT and 8800GTS :D