PC Gamers At A Audio Disadvantage Against Console: Surround Sound vs Positional Audio

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Eastcoasthandle, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    No, it's not the clarity. There is a stark difference between me hearing the direction and distance of the footsteps and not at all. Thus allowing me to know exactly were the enemy is versus knowing that I can just hear footsteps. Either way the clarity is there. What's different is the I can target the enemy without seeing them.

I want to make sure that I am clear though. I'm not talking about all sounds in the game.

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    1. Atmos only really works for games that have build in support for it
    2. Did play some competitive shooters at a LAN a week ago and used Waves Nx with my BD Custom One Pro, footsteps, weapon loading, shots and the like where pinpointing the exact direction and even indicate how close it was.
    As I did read on some of the OP headphone product pages they do use Waves Nx as their on-board software, doesn't really matter where the software is located as long as the headphone drivers can manage it.

As a side note (also for myself), we should remember that our ears can hear frequencies differently and some not at all, so there is never a one fits everyone solution.

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    [​IMG]

JaylumX and Valken like this.
  4. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    LOL
    It took you 10 pages to figure out that those headphones used Wave Nx internally. When I've repeated that several times throughout this thread.

As I've pointed out a few times in this thread it's an inherent advantage to use Wave Nx via hardware vs software solution. The reason why I do not use software based wave nx, or any other, is that it has a tendency to create unnecessary i/o processes and cpu resources that can and will compete/hinder me playing competitively. Since Wave Nx, etc are hardly ever tweaked beyond finding the best settings it is better to use them without it running in the background while gaming.

Something I've explained before in which some didn't believe that the software is built into the headphones.

Some of the headphones I used (in the op) has it built in. The software used for it is only used at desktop. Once I've adjusted settings I can close the app as it saves it in hardware. This is not the case with Wave Nx, etc using traditional (yes, stereo) headphones. Something I've said before, if not multiple times. ;)

Be that as it may someone finally posted that they tested it in game (albiet using software) to see that you do indeed can get pinpoint audio accuracy after arguing and scrabbling against it for 8-9 pages now. As baffling as this is it is the crux of a critics argument broken and smashed to sunder. After exhibiting what does appear to be more emotional child like reaction then an exchange of ideas. As noted in the imagery above.

Having said this, as I've said before the headphones in the OP are the best solution. Having tried those other solutions didn't yield the best result.

:cool:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    There is no hardware vs software solution and all are stereo headphones as well, those two 100mm drivers didn't magically turn into multiple surround drivers.
    But what ever.... done with this thread

6. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I look forward to Vanguard and after that Modern Warefare II, aka MW2022. Among other games. I have headphones that is tailored to allow me to hear, with pinpoint accuracy, opponents through footsteps, gunfire, audio call outs and other noises.

All with the touch of a few buttons or fine tune through software that I don't need running in the background.

These headphone are absolutely the answer to what I am looking for. I do not have to compromise based on the quality of other headphones, manually tune nor buy separate stereo headphones and software. I do not have to fiddle to figure out the best setting to create 3d audio experience that allows me to hear audio as intended by the developer.

And most importantly, I've been having a lot of fun in the games I've played.

7. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I finally bought the Atmos app for Windows now. For the games that support it, the result is stellar. I'm still using my ZXR for its equalizer to get a flat response, but SBX is turned off completely now.
    Helped a lot with sources from behind, obstacles in between & heights.

8. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    After playing vanguard for a few days I can confirm that the footstep audio in this game is more muted (as already reported) then in MW2019 or CW. However, other sounds like gun fire, call outs, etc are directional. So, I have been using that.

Looks like MW 2022 will be the game I am looking for as a true update to MW2019.

BF2042 is still in beta :eek: so no need to make any final decisions on that yet. :D

9. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Vanguard also has at least one permanent perk again that makes footsteps absolutely quiet. I think you can still hear them in S&D due to the pace, but not in more chaotic modes like Patrol for example.

How was the sound in Battlefield? I haven't heard good things so far and I couldn't make any use off the beta as even the controls weren't working as intended back then.

10. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    BF2042 is a complete cluster. The audio is also not as good as BFV and BF1.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    IN BF2042 sounds are Great, can pinpoint NP.
    ... Note
    Also i can tell how far they are etc.
    But game lacks Above & Beneath good sounds, BFV was better in that regard.
    Still You have to look around much.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Pinpoint yes, but they lack any type of real weight and impact.
    Older titles really had stellar audio on that regard. This one is just thin.

13. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Exactly. From what I've gathered it appears that the developers of BF1 and BFV are no longer with Dice EA. It appears that the group responsible for this abomination is from LA.

14. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Hardline 2042? Now it all makes sense

15. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Almost forgot about that game but yeah, pretty much.