PC for Football Manager and City Building Games

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GeraltNerd, May 15, 2024.

1. GeraltNerd

GeraltNerd New Member

GPU:
    RX 570
    Hello everyone!

**1** Considering that I want to build a PC focused on having the greatest possible processing capacity (and only this) for the following games:

* Football Manager (2023-2024);
    * Cities Skylines;
    * Manor Lords;
    * City building / construction games in general

**2**
    Considering that I am poor and can only choose between Xeon LGA 2011 processors or Ryzen / Intel with cheap motherboards (A320; B350; H110M and similar)

**3** Considering that I don't care about the future possibilities of component expansion or how bad the hardware will get old.

*** These are some problems I have encountered so far:

* If I choose an old Xeon, there is a limit to how far I can go with VRM temperature on cheap motherboards;
    * I can't find tests comparing Xeon processors with Ryzen and Intel on these games;
    * I believe motherboard options I have won't allow me to go beyond a Ryzen 2600 or equivalent (VRM). I have no idea if a Ryzen 2600 has better performance than a Xeon E5 2680v4 in the games mentioned, for example.

I'm considering:

A - Xeon E5 2680v4 + a better CPU cooler

* 16GB RAM DDR4 \~ 2133mhz
    * Cheap X99 motherboard

B - Ryzen 2600

* 16GB RAM DDR4 \~ 2933mhz
    * A320; A520; B350 - all cheap options i could find won't have VRM suitable for stronger level CPU's

C - Search for Intel alternative.

*** Can you suggest an option or give me a suggestion? Thank you.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    For a city building games what you need is the fastest single thread performance you can get. Old xeons run at lower freq. and the zen+ also lacks that single core performance.

What i would advice if you want to get atleast zen2 ryzen 3600 or even zen3 5500 if thats possible. You dont need robust vrms for these any a320/b350 board will do.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    GeraltNerd and tunejunky like this.
  3. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    The CPUs you mentioned are severely outdated for such large scale simulation games.

Thing about starting so save for a modern system, preferably an AMD with X3D, the 5700X3D is not that expensive these days. It will outclass those old xeons by a huge amount. As well as the old by now Zen+ 2600

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'd go with what the two other's before mentioned. Go AM4 (chipset's not that important) but stretch as far as you can for the CPU.

What's your budget? Are you in for used parts because of your own #2?

GeraltNerd likes this.

5. GeraltNerd

GeraltNerd New Member

GPU:
    RX 570
    Thank you for the infos. Can i use this as a reference to compare the CPU's?
    I will keep in mind the mentioned CPU's, but my limitation is the budget. Maybe i can get a Ryzen 3500x, 5500 is out of my budget and Ryzen 3600 probably is it too. I'm brazilian btw

6. GeraltNerd

GeraltNerd New Member

GPU:
    RX 570
    I won't choose Xeon based on replies by users here, thank you. But what about an Intel option? Do you believe i can have something with the same price as Ryzen 3500x with better single thread performance? Can I use this database to compare?

Thank you for the reply. I understand the advice, but unfortunately for me, saving more money won't be possible anytime soon. I can have something with Ryzen 3500x price based on Aliexpress, that's all. I'm brazilian, we have a ridiculous amount of taxes, so pc parts are super expensive. If we import anything that cost more than 50 dollars, government taxes us in 60% of the price, including item price + shipping.

7. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    What's your budget? Lemme do some russki research.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If I were you I'd better check with youtube reviews of CPUs straight for the games you want to play, if applicable.
    Intel is an option, of course, but it does depend on availability and pricing after all.