1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC folding questions.

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by ArmoredGuns, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ArmoredGuns

ArmoredGuns Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Hello,

I'm fairly new to this project, and have been folding alot. But I can do more.

There are some PCs in the company that aren't connected to the internet. Can they do folding too? All of them can't connect to the internet at the same time, but each of them can, with disconnecting another.

So my question is the following.

Lets say H computer is connected to the internet, while G computer isn't. H downloads the packet, and starts calculating a WU. I disconnect H from internet and give it to G. G downloads the packet and starts calculating. H finishes the WU while not being connected. I give internet access to H and the WU is sent, downloads the new packet and starts calculating. Then G finishes the WU unit, I give internet access to it, sends the WU and starts calculating the new one.

Will this procedure work?

2. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ 512Mb AGP
    Yes, no problems :)

Welcome to the fold ;)

3. olobley

olobley Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 640Mb
    Not sure what your hourly rate is/works out at, but I can't help but think it may be easier to go buy a broadband router?
    Also, iirc the SMP client will have a go at uploading, if it doesn't find the internet will then hold off uploading the results until it has finished the next packet.

4. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ 512Mb AGP
    Easier than reconnecting a cable every day and a half? ;)

Probably but only if you have money to burn, also some workplaces can be funny about what kit you connect to their network...