Pc Component prices are rediculous

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jed_tb, Jan 21, 2010.

1. jed_tb

jed_tb Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    Ok what is going on in the pc manufacturing world ... seriously???
    i understand certain chips are in high demand bc the new tech labs arent exactly 100% when they thought they would be but its a bit of a joke, every day i see small increases in hardware.

where have the days gone when ram was around £25 for 2gbs? now the same ram is nearly £50!!

how has a soon to be old gen card (the 260gtx)gone from £120 to £140 in the space of a month.

isnt tech supposed to be getting cheaper towards EOL not more expensive!

is anyone else annoyed about all this?
    if manufactures expect us to refresh our hardware surely something has to give here.

2. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    DDR2 was being manufactured while the economy was booming, when the economy slumped people got stuck with a lot of DDR2. Now the stockpiles are down and they're transitioning the manufacture process to DDR3 so DDR2 is going up in price.

3. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Well I'm after some new parts soon. I want to make the move to i7 and already have some Corsair Dominator GTs. However I'm wondering how much prices will go up by July because I was planning to upgrade then. If people can verify form reliable sources that prices will go up I will get in early but for now I'm a little sceptical about it and I think it may just be another way to pull more money from end-users than possibly required.

Will HDDs, motherboards, CPUs and BR drives go up?

4. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    You want to buy Intel and are complaining about prices? :funny:

You want price/performance? Get AMD, especially if all you do is game. If you run a server or are running very demanding scientific applications then Intel is what you need to get. Though, saying that, the most powerful super computer on the planet is powered by AMD hexacores.

5. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    I'm actually complaining about this so called "crisis"...and how ignorant people are to the media. With some reliable sources I could just go ahead with the i7 rig knowing I'm getting it at the best price if they do go up or if it's just bullcrap and they drop again by July.

Intel or GTFO for me...I'm not calculating the weather anytime soon.

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Fanboi?!:3eyes:

Intel CPU's perform better for gaming than AMD!

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Ehhh, that really depends. Intel's last gen vs Phenom IIs, they're basically the same thing. Of course you're talking about the i7, I think, and yeah, there's definitely a difference there, but the difference is almost exclusively in SLI configurations (or really beefy video cards, Fermi perhaps).

Aside from that, the difference is hard to find at a reasonable resolution with AA applied and such.

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    In terms of gaming, you really don't need anything more than a Core i5 750. However, if you do more than that is very CPU dependent then an Intel Core i7 is better. It's really depends on what you plan to use your machine for.

For gaming, both a Phenom II 955 and a Core i5 750 is a great idea for a gaming CPU. The rest is how much you want to pay for the platform and which company you prefer. The rest of the debates are just fanboyism.

As for hardware prices, the only thing that really went up in price is memory, other than that, prices are about the same for the rest of the market.

Just if you guys are wondering, right now I'm typing on my Intel powered Macbook so I'm not really a fanboy, I just prefer AMD generally and I don't care about the whole PC vs. Mac thing (hell, I'm wearing an I'm a PC t-shirt and walking down the college halls carrying my Macbook). I buy whatever I need based on my needs.

deltatux

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  9. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Proof?

10. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I remember when me and my buddy chipped in to build another buddy a budget gaming rig for his BDay. I bought single 2GB 1066Mhz HyperX modlule for $24 just to get his computer up and running. It doubled in price since then, ouch.
    I wouldnt advise anyone to be building a DDR2 system anyhow nowadays, even if it isnt that much of a difference in speed.

Its kinda when I build this PC, I wanted a AMD X3 720. Back then, it was $110, now $165...

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    What're you talkin about?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103652&Tpk=amd 720

12. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
  13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Honestly, I have one I'd sell you even. I can guarantee it does 3.7ghz.

14. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Oh Im good now, thanks anyhow. Im already happy with the 620 OC'd. Dont need anything faster. Just need the 5850 to drop in price!

15. jed_tb

jed_tb Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    well no but for those of us that have ddr2 tech still , i dont really think spending around £500 just to switch to ddr3 is worth it - especially when new tech is about a year off. kinda defeats the purpose of complaining about buying ram for £50 as well! lol