Patriotism

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Palerider, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    By definition, it's being proud of your country, so PLEASE no bashing or politics........

As an American, Patriotism is part of our identity.There are many holidays, events, and songs that celebrate our history and love of country.
    Just wondering what day makes you proud to be "_________" and why.What significance does that day hold, and what makes you proud?

Two things for me....
    D Day.I know it was a Multinational event, but it marked the US involvement in Europe.I had family involved, and there is Palerider blood on two Norman beaches.

The Marine Corps hymn.I was Army,but 98% enlisted Marine.It's a story I've told, so I won't get into it again- but every time I hear the Hymn, I tear up with pride.

I don't hear a lot of BIG days for England, but I know you have national pride.Same goes for everyone, I assume.What makes your country special?

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    lol, no bashing or politics? Seriously Pale? You think anyone here's capable of that? Come on.

3. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I used to be one of the biggest political debaters on this board.Just ask NM+ :D

If I can do it, anyone can!

4. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    You dont hear about big days for England?

Its a bit like why we dont hear about your big days (I guess you call big days what we'd either national holidays, festivities and traditions).

Theres quite few but I can only presume they are not as played as yours.

5. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    What day makes me proud to be a finn? Rofl, I don't really know. It's not a date that makes me feel that way.

6. humonculus1987

humonculus1987 Banned

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    Patriotism is a part of the american life? You must not live in america.

7. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Well many of our days have to do with our split from England.I presume they're not as popular there :D
    I know world history...when I say I don't hear about specific day, I mean they're not as publicized here.

Just trying to do a pride thread, and give people a chance to sound off about what makes them happy.

8. Nerus

Nerus Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 470 amp!
    You said patriotism is pride. Which is one of the deadly sins.

I find it funny that USA, one of the most religious, christian countries are filled with pride the most ;)

9. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Oddly one of my headteachers (Pricipal to you) was obssessed with independence day and college/school would celebrate it.

You dont really hear about it generally over this way.

Can't think of any worth celebrating, the main ones now-a-days are people remotely related to the Royal Family getting on TV and getting a free day off :p

Unless Cornwall gets independence :D

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Independence day celebration is pretty much the exact opposite here in Finland than in the USA. More like deep respect, quiet day. We would never celebrate it the same way Americans do (which is way over the top if you ask me). Nay for fireworks and stuff like that.

--
    Das Lied der Deutschen makes me 25% proud.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

11. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    in makes no difference what country your from ,if you love your country and support its values your still a Patriot,i am not particularly proud of England or the Uk as a whole but considering the finanacial mess the country is in we still manage to find millions of pounds to give to other countries

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  12. Salsoolo

Salsoolo Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 690
    ^pride or patriotism is ok.
    but i dont like that people tie their patriotism or pride with the countrie's financial situation, military power etc.

like what the op said, should be far from politics, because its a love for culture and traditions IMO.

13. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    wow really? run out of ideas for a new thread?

14. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Yeah.I planned on asking your permission first, but I threw caution to the wind and started a different topic anyway.Now that I know you don't approve,I hope you will just delete the entire thread.That, or don't post in it if the discussion doesn't interest you.Your choice :moon:

15. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    i dont rly identify myself with any country, but do take pride in ancient persian history.

16. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    The days themselves are cool, but I have a deep respect when I see my dad, who was in the AF during Vietnam. I also had 1 grandpa in WWII and 1 in the Korean war; both Army.

I'm proud to know that I'll be in the Navy very soon, and upholding the same ideals they had, regardless of how things are now. I think those holidays will come to mean much more then.

I don't knock anyone for NOT feeling a huge amount of patriotism either, because up till recently I didn't really have much. In fact, I had a huge negative outlook on things until (like a naive retard) I asked my dad if he was still proud of what he fought for and he explained that YES, he'd still die for his country, because of what America is supposed to stand for.

17. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    The below is written about war but I don't feel it's relevancy is confined to that. It can apply to all sorts of patriotism.
    I believe we see far too much of the latter these days and is generally why the term "patriotism" leaves a bad taste in many people's mouths. I think the inherent problem with patriotism is that to be truly patriotic you need to have a deep understanding of politics, history, and have a complete picture of current events and the issues surrounding them. Most people don't and therefore I feel their patriotism is misguided.

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lol

10 lols

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  19. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    I prefer to put my patriotism on things not related to wars.

20. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Interesting topic. Please dont take me literally on this as am only giving ideas.

It's a double edged sword to me and one i feel is somewhat ironic. You feel patriotic and you fight for your country. But was it worth it?

That a historical discussion. There's 2 much blind patriotism and idiotic patriotism for me.

Like booing other people national anthems. Or is that patriotism related or just twits :)

A lot of people will be patriotic not really knowing what it is they are being patriotic for....

I think patriotism is a slippery slope and as long as you are good for your fellow man and community we shouldnt need it. I just dont think its as simple today as saying god bless america and getting your bags backed for war...well i think we need to move on from this way of thinking.

It's no good being a patriot unless you know your history.

Patriotism can lead to supremism and a form of racism which i dont like.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011