1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Surprised there was no post about this game. I've been thinking about getting it, and from what I've seen, it's as close to Baldurs Gate in style and difficulty as any modern game could be, but with MUCH better graphics and an update ruleset. It's based on the pathfinder ruleset, which is supposed to be an offshoot of D&D 3.5e, but even better.

Has plenty of classes, spells and characters, and if I'm not mistaken, most of the dialogue is voiced. So far the reviews on Steam have been mixed, mostly on account of the tremendous difficulty in the beginning chapter. But the devs have released a patch to address that, so it looks like they are on it.

Games like this really bring me back to my younger days, as Baldurs Gate was the first PC game that I ever fell in love with, and it's what started me on being a PC gamer and a computer hardware enthusiast. So I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase this game.

Who's with me? :D Although I don't have much time for gaming these days to be honest, I'll still find the time to finish this game, even if it takes me a year!

Very informative resetera forum thread about the game

ShadowDuke likes this.
  2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    I think its great, but its "harder" than POE for instance. Lot of people cry about balance, i get them, but then again, this game is kind of different than the others. There are no real infos on enemys what resistances they have, etc. you have to learn them from NPCS or hints. You miss often with your hits - you need to find a way to improve that with spells and so on.

Im Level 6 so far, almost 7 and i love it. POE2 and Divinity 2 were my highlights in this genre this year, absolutely loved them, masterpeaces for me. But this i like also very very much.

I already see and i have a feeling some of your decisions have a really big impact on the world and so on. And you also have to wage your decisions very carefully.

Im gonna play some more now. :D The devs said you can easily spent at least 100hrs in the game.

But there are some smal lthings which needs to be added for comfort and such. Like a speedup button and the "slow walking" when raining sucks a little. Inventory management could also use some improvements.

Carfax likes this.
  3. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    The slow movement outside of combat is the only thing stopping me from buying it. Looks great otherwise, Pathfinder ruleset is great. From what I've seen, it's pretty hard but the depth of characters will be a big plus. I'm waiting for them to patch in some character movement speed options and I'll be getting it for sure.

4. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    If you are easily frustrated, stay well away from this game :p

If you like old school games where there is very little hand holding and a heavy focus on figuring things out on your own, welcome home :D

A very good game indeed.

ShadowDuke and Carfax like this.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    OK I bought the Noble edition version on GoG, but I won't start playing it for at least another week as I'm kind of busy with real life stuff. But I'm curious, for those that bought the game, what class did you start with?

I'm thinking about rolling a Paladin. The Paladin in Pathfinder seems like it's a very robust class with lots of survivability and benefits.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  6. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I went with Inquisitor.

7. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Paladin

BangTail likes this.
  8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Man, these Russian devs are working their asses off. Hotfix 1.0.3 was released today:

Major Issues
    • Custom companions hiring was not available. Resolution: fixed.

Quests
    • Quest for artisan Shariel didn't work correctly. Resolution: fixed.
    • No companion dialogues with Jaethal, Valerie, Linzi, Harrim in the Captial or at Oleg's Trading Post after Old Sycamore dungeon. Resolution: fixed.
    • Ekundayo’s companion quest prompted you to tell Ekun about your victory over Kargadd even if Ekun is dead. Resolution: Ekundayo's quest now fails automatically if you kill him.
    • Jaethal couldn’t be found at the Capital square during her first quest. Resolution: fixed.
    • "Missing Child" Quest: invisible answer in Tig's dialog. Resolution: fixed (player needs to talk to Tig again).

Areas
    • A specific dialogue option in Chapter 6 broke a story-critical cutscene. Resolution: fixed.
    • Divine services didn’t work for non-divine casters in Chapter 1. Resolution: Jhod Kavken will now read divine scrolls if there are no divine casters in the party.

User Interfaces
    • Spell filters did not work properly in the character creation interface. Resolution: fixed.
    • Malfunction in class feature sorting. Resolution: fixed.
    • Tooltip with empty description for Strength damage. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom
    • Mim's workshop couldn’t be built in Silverstep Village. Resolution: fixed.
    • Multiple "GreatSuccess" text strings in one of the kingdom events. Resolution: fixed.
    • Artisan Varrask didn't start the dialogue in the village after suggestion to speak to him. Resolution: fixed.
    • NPC Kergan didn't start the dialogue after a cutscene on Thorn River Ford. Resolution: fixed.
    • Battle with Bokken didn't stop correctly when he is in low Hit Points. Resolution: fixed.

Classes
    • Rage and Defensive Stances are no longer switched off when a character is disabled due to adverse status effects. These stances are switched off only when a character falls unconscious.
    • Abyssal Bloodline ability Grow Claws should now activate properly.
    • Artifice Domain ability should now properly activate on Inquisitor.
    • Knowledge Domain now also adds Lore (Nature) to class skills.
    • 2 level Eldritch Archer couldn’t cast anything but ranged touch spells. Resolution: fixed.

Misc
    • Skeleton Guardians summoned during the Rest by Jaethal no longer drop loot.
    • Missing or wrong German, French, and Chinese localisations. Resolution: the next batch of issues is fixed.

System
    • Possible crash when loading a cloud save after "fresh" game installation. Resolution: fixed.

Some fixes to expect in the next two hotfixes:
    We are working on an issue with Pre-order and Kickstarter in-game bonuses. For all players who have these bonuses and start new game after Hotfix 1.0.2 all rewards should be available in the chest at Oleg's Trading Post or Throne Room areas. We are going to make these rewards available for saves made before Hotfix 1.0.2 with the next hotfix. There will be also fixes for Amiri and Jubilost companion quests.

9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    And a big patch is coming next week.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    A D&D game? Might need to check this out once I'm finished with W3

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Is anyone else get sub-optimal performance in this game?

There are sections where it will run at well over 60 fps on maxed out settings at 2560x1440 on my PC but then the framerate will tank to 35-45 fps for no reason at all such as in the area with the knight statues/sword puzzle during the first hour of the game. I'm in a forest area at the moment with a mist effect and it is currently running at 25-35 fps!!! Not great at all. :(

It's not like the game looks that amazing IMO to justify this performance hit. This is yet another Unity engine game with an iffy framerate. I'm really starting to hate this engine...

*EDIT*
    Well, wouldn't you know it! I've just loaded up and continued my save and now that same forest area is running at 90-95 fps!!!

Not really sure what is going on here but considering the game comes with a warning about long initial loading times (it used to take 3-4 minutes but it's now around 90 seconds) then I'm more inclined to blame the game/engine rather than my PC.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  12. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    The original Pillars of Eternity had this issue as well (albeit in the large city maps), and I only got rid of it when I upgraded my CPU. I am afraid that this is Unity's fault, and won't go away easily. I had hoped that a newer version of the engine (PoE1 was on Unity 4, I believe) would solve the issue. Seems like it did not...

On the other hand, I am certainly going to get this game and play it, once I get the time (so around the winter holidays, I guess)!

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Couple of bugs to report...

1. The loading screens with sometimes flicker/go black... not sure what is happening here but it occurs most when leaving and entering areas on the map.

2. The anti-aliasing and cloth physics settings are not retained and keep resetting back to 4xMSAA and High from 8xMSAA and Ultra respectively. Maybe it's because these higher options shouldn't be there but it's a bug regardless IMO.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    The reviews on Steam are not that great I must say and seem quite valid but when you read comments on the reviews they undermine them saying that the reviewer is a noob and doesn't know how to play.

15. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Let's face it, different people have different opinions when it comes to challenge/gameplay difficulty/quality of life mechanics. I usually don't care about Steam reviews, since most of the time they are all bull****.Also, don't bother reading the comments. Most Steam forums are a cesspool, regardless of game or genre.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    I think that it's interesting to read reviews since a trailer might say something else entirely. Of course you're right that opinions are quite different and that many Steam reviews are just someone being angry. But the top reviews are often well thought and cover many aspects of the game. Sure, in some occasions you buy the game based on the trailer / what you read about the game regardless of the reviews but I don't mind getting a general idea from reviews.

17. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Sure, I get you. I have my own methods when it comes to gathering information before actually buying a game, so that's why I tend to avoid Steam reviews when it comes to games like these (as in "more old school inspired").

18. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Indeed, thats the reason. :D

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    You mean that old school players wouldn't post reviews on Steam? That could be true and in that case just having players who haven't played D&D or P&P games in the past could shift the games reviews in a wrong way.

20. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yep, the 'it's too hard' argument is all over the forums.

It's not like there isn't an overabundance of other (potentially easier) games for these people to choose from but I often forget that this is 2018 and these over entitled little shitheads need a huge red 'I WIN' button otherwise they spit their dummy out of the pram.

Sad really.

ShadowDuke likes this.