Patch unblocks Windows Update in Win7 & 8.1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A developer and reverse engineer by the name of “Zeffy” seems to have found a way around Microsoft's ban on updates for old versions of Windows on shiny new Ryzen and Kaby Lake CP...

Patch unblocks Windows Update in Win7 & 8.1

2. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    Just wait until evil-corp will release a patch that will intentionally lock up computers with newer processors, worse if all patches will have this feature...

3. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    What ever is written by man shall be broken by man. Hats of to that developer.

4. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Haven't payed for a copy of windows since 98 (except the version on my new laptop) and have never had issues with updates, so this isn't anything new at all.

5. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    That sense of brand loyalty... being dissolved from the rotten core and out.

A world without decent competition is not fun at all once something like this practice starts to rub you the wrong way.

When Vulkan becomes more widespread at least Linux will become a more serious contender for many of us.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Fixed that for you.

Good thing somebody took his time to do that, a great service to the community!

7. cuneytcam

cuneytcam Member

GPU:
    This is way too toxic behaviour from Microsoft. Using latest hardware and still sticking win8/7 mean that the individual is happy with the OS, does not want to get win10. They produce handmade, intentional problems so people will develop urges to upgrade to win 10 so Micro$oft can gather everything about you without your permission for upcoming worldwide events. I would just hack it all the way.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  8. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    no matter how ms will patch to block from old cpu
    there will always a way to install the os

first there is old-unpatched version...
    people can install the old version, then all we need to do is to block ms-patch
    i think community will find a way like most of time if not always

also as the os core it self is not designed to be doing the "blocking" stuff in the begining, i am hoping the patch isnt cronic/nasty things
    well ms can make nastsy stuff... but we will see

9. rpjkw11

rpjkw11 Guest

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 1080Ti
    Perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment, but I backed-up everything then Dloaded and installed on Win7 lappy. I don't know what is gonna happen, if anything, but zero problems so far.

10. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Exactly. It would be great to see Vulkan adoption pick up or ReactOS make huge development strides but I don't expect either.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Any enthusiasm for this may be short-lived once MS updates the patched parts. So you may have to repatch it every time MS releases an update, which may be up to a few times a week. I would probably give in and say adios Win 7/8.

12. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I have to admit when I said that, I knew how far away we are for broad game support, let alone our librarys of older games which will mostly never get such a support built into them.

At least there is some hope on the horizon.

13. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    Ironically, we have Microsoft to thank for pushing people away from Microsoft Products.

If this behaviour doesn't bring around a Linux revolution then nothing will.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I agree totally with the 1st sentence. About the 2nd one i´m not so sure...