Partition Magic error, help with solution, please.

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by dcx_badass, May 21, 2006.

1. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX570 1280mb
    Here is the error i am getting:
    [​IMG]

The Error basically means i can't do anything to the affected partitions except change the drive letters(like i want to :frown:)

These are the affected Partitions(The partition 'Vista' was made after the error started occuring, i managed to make it by creating it in the free space, as i can't move anything, notice 'backup' was already there but was unnaffected):
    [​IMG]

The error happened when i was moving partitions and it failed, anyway i went to the Partition Magic site for the fix they had one involved cmd commands ofcourse it didn't wok so i emailed them, and they replied with this:
    Now heres the problem,
    1) How do i know the partition Number
    2) I don't have a BTINI.exe only a BTIniNt.exe i pressume these are the same though
    3) i counted in my computer and got K: as partition 6 and typed in the BTIniNt.exe window the following(without quotes) 'BTINI /FRS 6:9' and it said this:
    [​IMG]

So i tried it with D using number 2 and it says the same.
    Will someone please help me to do this, Thank you, and sorry for long pst.

2. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    It sounds like you need to ask support what drive number to use if a physical hard drive is partitioned.

3. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490
    I suggest you run

chkdsk /f on the error drives (J:, K:, and U: )

Code:
    chkdsk J: /f
    chkdsk K: /f
    chkdsk U: /f

4. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX570 1280mb
    I've run chkdsk on them all, and i've run the windows error checker and the WD HD checker all said its clean. But their solution says that 2 lines even after doing it on 2(D) like they used as an example.

5. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hmm , if chkdsk doesn't come with errors and you can do normal operations on the drives, like copy/move files, etc, and still Partition Magic shows errors, then you better re-install the application or look for alternatives.

http://www.acronis.com/
    http://www.ranish.com/part/

6. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX570 1280mb
    Well i've reinstalled it, and the newest version, i told Symantec about chkdsk(what their sites suggest didn't work) and they emailed me the above solution so i might re email them asking them to tell me what that gibberish after means.

7. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hmm .. try with these command :

BtIniNt.exe /show

This should show all the partition ID's so you don't need to calculate.

then

BtIniNt.exe /FRS <partition ID for say the J drive>:009 (or simply 9)

also when you see that the command window ends with the words "More:", then press any key from the keyboard to continue .....

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX570 1280mb
    Get this error again:
    [​IMG]

Gonna reinstall it. Thanks so far.

9. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    There is a BTIni.exe under ":\Program Files\Symantec\Norton PartitionMagic 8.0\DOS" try using that one.

When a command line fails in a prompt, often if you don't get a error saying not recognized or something, you will get the help infomation on the command line tool your using (as if you have typed "/?" or "/help").

That is what you got back from writing your command (the pics you posted shows the command help) so the command line you used is not being accepted.

10. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't think BTIni.exe will run from within Windows. You got to be in a 16bit environment to do it.

11. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX570 1280mb
    Instant exits on open.

How would i type a command it whatever i type in BtIniNt.exe it gives me that weird message still.

12. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Start->run type
    cmd

then go to that directory where BTIniNt is stored.

C:
    cd <location where it is stored>

then type BTIniNt.exe /? for help

type BTIniNt /FRS <partition id>:009

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX570 1280mb
    bakuryu thank you so much that worked, just need a bit more help, it said this:
    FRS #9: $Secure:5
    FRS 6:009

using partition 6 - Downloads as an example.

14. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think $Secure:5 or perhaps $Secure is the file that needs to be deleted.

to a search for either $Secure:5 or $Secure or Secure in that drive, and delete that file.

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX570 1280mb
    Did a search, $Secure:5, Secure, $Secure, - nothing
    Did:
    cmd del J:$Secure:5 - 'The filename, directory name, or volume syntax is incorrect'
    cmd del J:\$Secure - 'Could not find J:\$Secure
    cmd del J:\Secure - 'Could not find J:\Secure

S othe search continues.

Oh yead did BtIniNt.exe /FRS 6:011 and got
    FRS #11: $Extend:5
    FRS 6:011 found
    of course search found nothing containing extend in the file name, if we don't crack this by the weekend i'll re email Synmantec, as i got exams this week, but break up for a week on friday then 3 more weeks exams, then off till september.

Last edited: May 22, 2006

16. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    It looks like a metadata file ($), it's not a normal file so you can't find it. Im not sure if or how your supposed to delete metadata files. The support guy may only have had normal files in mind or maybe the tool really can deal with metadata files as well, im not sure.

Metadata

17. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX570 1280mb
    So how do i delete them, and what are the consequences, or is this a try it and if it dies your screwed kinda things, whilst you guys are like rofl at least it wasn't me. :D

18. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    As you already mailed them about this issue, i'd say send them a new mail (if your up to it).

A). For one you don't know how to do this using the tool provided or if it's even possible. As far as i know, as long as the OS is booted the metadata files are locked or in use, so you would need a). not being booted b). A tool capable of manipulating metadata files from inside a booted OS.

B). The error code you get "1611" (or bad system file name) do not exist in their knowledge base document PartitionMagic 8.0 error messages and solutions Which might mean another solution is needed, or simply that there is no solution.

Also im sort of interested in hearing if they have a solution for this or not (im running PartitionMagic myself).

---

If you can't delete or fix the files, i guess you have to move or backup your data (only data, do obviously not transfer the partition), then delete the partition and make a new.

One (really far out) idea i got which is likely not going to do anything, or might prove to be disastrous (im NOT joking, don't do it without taking precautions) is using PerfectDisk to do a offline defrag, moving the MFT and metadata files. Im not sure why i'd even think moving the files would help if their damaged (if the files themselves are not corrupt but their placement somehow is faulty it might do something), but it's up to you....yah we're back at trashing your system now...im so glad i got you back on track...lol. :D

19. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX570 1280mb
    Well i got a week off now, and lots of emails to send out,
    ± Symantec - this problem
    ± Linksys - Overheating router
    ± HP - Printer pulling multiple sheets through and screwing up printings.

So a busy week, and to top that off when i get back to school another three weeks of exams, about 14 exams. Sorry for late reply it didn't mark it as new post came to bump it and you'd replied, if they have no answer i'll back up and format, it's painful when my external HD only has sloooow USB2.0, i want firewire.

20. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hmm .. I was thinking of using alternatives like :
    Ranish Partition Manager
    Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0