Panasonic to offer 98-inch and 84-inch Professional 4K LED Displays

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    sweet where do i sign up for one haha

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    That's not 4K. That's QuadHD or ultra HD

4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    and it will never be full 4k resolution at home.
    4k comes from the theaters and uses cinemascope/20:9 aspect ratio.
    so as long as the tv has a 20:9 ratio, it will never be 4k...

what disturbs me more, is panasonic saying "unmatched image quality...", without having anything done in 4k resolution (upscaling/recording/broadcasting) or ANY background whatsoever.
    Not even talking about the (color) banding issues on all panasonic/samsung screens i've seen in the past +10y.

And i repeat myself:
    like apple building a car, saying its the best, and charging 100k for it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014

5. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I've waited all my life for a good reason to rob a bank...! Guess this is it?

Any volunteers? It will be just like the game >.>

6. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    it will cost me an arm, a leg, the other arm, a ball, a kidney, half my liver, an eye, a nostril, three teeth, one butt cheek, my ass hole, and one toe nail

edit: forgot the second t in butt

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    For $95k... the display or a Porsche Panamera.

[​IMG]

I'll stick to my 27" screen and take the car. :D

8. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @alanm
    just get the sony 84in 4k for 20K and buy a the porsche 1y old...

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Films use a variety of aspect ratios. All up to the director of the movie in question.

As for 4K at the cinema, that's just the projected resolution, the actual resolution of the movie could have been 6K or even film, which is even higher than that, but it's very hard to tell the difference frame by frame.

10. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    i think it's sacrilegious to buy a 4 door Porsche.
    i don't even think i could tell the difference between a 4k TV and a 1080p TV from a reasonable distance anyways.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I think it's sacrilegious to buy a Porsche.

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yes, just like Payday 2. Just make sure you bring the masks and bullet proof vests. :D

13. Serial T.

Serial T. Member

GPU:
    Palit Jetstream GTX 780Ti
    All I want is a 55 or 65 inch LED backlit LCD with a TV tuner that I can hook up to my GTX780ti at a resolution higher than 1080 at 60hz or higher. Hell 1440 at 60hz in a decent size would do. I was going to buy the Sony 65 inch UHD set they released a little while ago, it only costs $6000 or so but at the moment can't display a signal at higher than 30hz. Oh well I'll wait a while longer if I have to.

14. toniglandyl

toniglandyl Guest

GPU:
    8800GT 512
    For now, you can't ! at least in any "real" conditions : movies are in 24 fps, so have massive motion blur. You need to be at a distance more or less equal to the diagonal of the screen to "benefit" from the 4K movie resolution, so all the 50" 4K screens are, IMO, quite useless. Once the screens and content will be in 100/120Hz, things will change.
    Talking about using the screens as TV not monitors, obviously.

15. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Bloody hell!
    With a screen that size, I'd have to sit at the end of my driveway to play UT3!

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Sorry but that's not entirely true. Motion blur is dependant on the shutter speed, not the frame rate. The classic example of this is saving private Ryan - zero motion blur.

If you're talking movies transcoded to TV, the same applies.

17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Guess some need to update the information they have:

1. all sony 4K tv's are HDMI 2.0/can do native 4K@120Hz.
    earlier sets from last year might need a firmware (not software) update.

2. you can see the difference between FHD and UHD even at 20-25ft distance. i have 55 and 65" since last may and almost every customer can tell the difference. even the ones never heard of 4k/dont know what it "does", ask me why they look so much better.

3. on the sonys even a FHD signal looks better than what panasonic/samsung are doing with a native 4k feed.
    sony doing upscaling to 2/4k resolutions for a decade in almost every theater in the US, makes a big difference.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB

UltraHD is not 4K, please stop calling it that.

4096 x 2160 is the OFFICIAL 4K standard. IF you are going to call a television 4K, have the decency of calling it by it's correct teevee industry term of 4K UHDTV, or 2160P, which sounds much more accurate and, is what YouTube refer to that resolution as when you upload content to YouTube.

Every-time I read something which is less than 4K being called 4K, my head explodes and a kitten dies, figuratively speaking.

1: The current 2160P teevee from sony cannot do 120 fps, according to their website: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/kd-84x9005/specifications

If there is a new range not covered on their site, let me know and I'll take a look at it.

19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    1. you are looking at last year model and it looks like, this one was only for the GB/EU market.
    the US/J/rest of the world gets -X900A/-X850A and they DO support UHD@120Hz AFTER the firmware update (done for free by sony; in-home)

2. (most) models from this year (e.g. ending with B) are already coming with that update, or can get it (free) after purchase.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x9000b-series#product_details_default

3.i use 4k as a generic, since you will never see full 4k resolution on a home tv (for now), as long as 16:9 is the (broadcasting) standard.
    only the 4K projectors are native 4k resolution (and back to the fact that they are similar to the ones used in theaters).
    Sony calls them 4k UHD tvs.
    i personally dont care, to loose the -UHD, when im NOT talking to a customer. (call me lazy ;-)

(im working as a contractor for the gov/military in the US and get my info straight from sony (trainers/technicians), not the websites...)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  20. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    I really don't understand why anyone would want one of these 4K monitors unless you work in the movie industry and need super-high-res monitors for your work. There's no 4K movies yet, not even live 1080p broadcast TV, and you need a high-end GPU to render your PC games in 4K.

Besides, I really can't see the difference between a game rendered on a 1080p monitor vs the same game rendered on a 4K monitor. And when i say "see" I mean "see with my eyeballs." There's a point beyond which the human eye just can't tell the difference, and I think that point has been reached. Anything beyond that is just ridiculous.