Panasonic plans to fab 1TB Archival Optical Discs that last 100 years

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I am still waiting to use my DVD-RAM drive capabilities...

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Reboot? Too late? I don't think so. Wile many people just stopped using those formats for day to day usage, this technology is for enterprise usage.
    I remember buying games on CD and DVD, wishing they just came on a USB drive. Constant usage due to DRM made me scratch my babies and I'd even go as far to crack the game just so I could preserve the disks. Today we have Steam, Origin and others...but for mass storage and archival, DVD's are still some of the best formats around.

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    But, i was assured back in the 80s that optical media was already indestructible. lol

5. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Not really, don't forget that big archival centers are still using tapes that store huge amounts of data.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Depending on read speeds and costs, I would be somewhat interested in this. For some home media servers, reliable high-capacity optical drives still make sense. You can fit a lot of music and photos in 1TB. If you want high-quality 4K movies, there aren't too many drives available that can affordably store many of them. As of right now, I find Blu Ray way too overpriced for its capacity, especially when you consider how inconvenient it is. Otherwise, the read speed is nice.

7. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    Optical disk is arguably the most reliable storage medium available due to potential longevity. The info in this article is intriguing news for 1% of the people who know about these things. ;)

tunejunky likes this.
  8. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
  9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    You're one hundred years too late.

10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

11. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    But we were supposed to get 3D Holographic storage cubes for that...

12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

coffee...came...out...of...nose:eek::D:D:D

13. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i wonder how much we can trust this
    Because optical discs have a long life, unlike hard disks and magnetic tapes, there is no need to regularly migrate data from degraded media to new media.

i have seeing some of my CD audio collection degrading ... basically the polycarbonate layer is degrading... some degraded by mold, when we touch the CD sometimes our hand not really clean, those oil, dirt on hand got stick to CD, and over period time it turn to some kind of mold...
    especially if you live in humid area, u want to make sure your CD collection in dried storage
    other than that, UV light also easily kill any optical disc, especially those dvd-r/bd-r

so the term "long life" is in maintaned condition ... not normal/standard storage i think
    but after reading it again, i think its more about data retain in optical disc, rather than the media itself
    optical disc retain data much better than magnetic tapes that data might degraded over time

14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @RzrTrek
    why? cause you dont need it?
    so we gonna get rid of all the stuff only the "pros" use?!

@slyphnier
    1. cd/dvd/bd and STORAGE things like RAM (dvd) are not the same.
    2. most IT stuff wont be eating a McRib while handling the disc, so no degrad by dirt.
    3. you usually dont have lots of server/data rooms that have windows, ergo no UV (sun light) coming in.
    4. most the time the disc are stored in a case and that goes into cabinet or similar.
    at least the places where i worked it.

my main problem is with the burn speed. i could never find burners that would support the 8x/12x.
    than BD was giving me more space, and now that i swapped all hdds for ssds, its even "worse" (performance when backing up data)..

15. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i use DVD-RAM for archival few years ago... indeed far better than standard DVD/BD-R
    especially the one that incase and you have DVD-RAM recoder that support cased DVD-RAM (like this one http://www.tdk-media.jp/media/dvd-data/bbf39800.html)
    but still it will degrade as it using same material/polycarbonate

TDK has been making ultra tough BD-DVD-RAM / -R
    that said UV + scratch resistance
    like this http://www.tdk-media.jp/media/dvd-camcorder/bbd44800.html
    i use some for archiving back in 2006~2010, will check the disc physical condition when i have time later
    but i believe nothing can really UV resistance... and DVD-R is really sensitive to UV, even indirect sun-light or fluorescent bulb that have some uv can damage those DVD-R over time

it doesnt need a really dirty hand to make a mold
    for people have dry hand it should be fine... but just some sweat will enough to grow mold on the disc
    most people dont clean/wash their hand when handing the disc normaly, right?
    so even say they dont eat while handling the disc, but its not like their smartphone is clean either, so do their hand

if the cabinet in air conditioned room, probably it will be fine... but cabinet in hot steamy summer... bet some of those will start degrading over years.. i am talking more than a decade though.

not sure why u have problem with burn speed, even its slow, you can burn while other job right ?
    burning BD nowdays dont need to be focus on burning ... it wont fail even you start doing other job
    for SSD i am not sure why u pick over HDD... price and capacity wise not make sense to me
    i would rather use cloud backup rather than SSD

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017