Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic could have issues

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 14, 2010.

1. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
  2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  3. roman63

roman63 Member

GPU:
    Point of View GTX580
  4. Ravenger

Ravenger Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC
    I agree some form of tweaking is normally necessary, but the fan ramped up to 80% as soon as any load was supplied. It sounded like a vacuum cleaner!

It wasn't necessary to do that as at a maximum 60% or 70% the card stays well within its thermal limits even under extreme load.

The most I've got this card up to so far is 79 degrees while running Kombustor, and in normal gaming it's between 63 and 74 degrees - and that's while overclocked to platinum speeds. Idle is around 35 degrees. It runs cooler than my old 8800GTS, while being more powerful and much smaller. So I'd agree it's a good card.

I'm still not sure if to return it or not, since the MSI and the Gigabyte cards both look very tempting due to their excellent cooling solutions. The problem is they don't arrive over here for another week or so, and the 460 prices have been going up due to demand.

5. omegaomega

omegaomega Member

What about vrm temps in gpu-z? During extreme load and normal gaming. I assume you have no heatsink on vrm.

6. Ravenger

Ravenger Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC
    I just downloaded gpu-z and there doesn't seem to be any VRM temperature reading. Are there sensors on the VRM?

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    no software vrm temp readings on the 400 lineup

8. technogiant

technogiant New Member

GPU:
    2XGTX 460 2GB @980
    Personally I think that is appauling behaviour from Palit.....I'm waiting for the Asus gtx460 directcu 1024mb version...with the Asus 768mb version and their voltage tweak tool they were able to get 930mhz from the core....if that pans out the same for the 1024mb version it will perform better than a gtx470.

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    besides the lack of heatsink,there is nothing that does not happen to other cards with launch bios.
    i'v seen faaaaarrrr worse fan control on many cards....they have a new bios that seems to work....it best get over it
    i'd bitch more about the crappy "no touch" 1 year warrenty

lack of vrm heatsink does not slow down my patit card at all.
    930 is np for benches i think they will all go around the same speeds with volts,a differance of 10-20mhz dont mean much

10. technogiant

technogiant New Member

GPU:
    2XGTX 460 2GB @980
    If you intend on ocing your card then lack of heatsink on the vrms may well limit your overclock.

The benchies of the asus oced to 930mhz were probably quite held back because of the 768mb memory and lower memory bandwidth, it can be seen in other benchmarks using non Asus cards that the 1024mb version at stock clocks performs about 10% better than the 768mb version indicating that the 768mb card version is being restricted by it's memory structure even at those stock clocks....put those Asus clock speeds with the better memory structure of 1024mb versions and I think ur wrong, it will make a large difference to performance....just hope that Asus's 1024mb version will be able to reach those same clock speeds.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010

11. lowrider007

lowrider007 New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX460 sonic Plat
    Well atm I'm running my Sonic Plat @ 1.000v, 900MHz Core, 1800 Shader, seems to be stable enough, I reckon I can push it to 950 on the core, I'll report back if I can.

The default vid for this new BIOS (on the Sonic Plat) is 0.9870v although I think the original BIOS had the VID set @ 1.013v.

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    @technogiant
    well i really did not look at the asus top 460 i know it comes with a better cooler but is it ref. pbc? or a modded one like the true oc marketed cards like the msi lighting?
    even if it was chances are it would run the same as a ref. board on air.
    pm me links to a real review or results i could not find one?
    you think the lesser in bandwidth 768 card does not clock as fast per its ram/bit size? idk maybe if it uses the same 3d core volts as the 256/1g card, it will run the same max clocks? .
    althuogh i hope your right that it overclocks very well.

900 core out of the palits is not bad at all..all the rest is gravy

man i posted alot in this one too mas infact.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The 768mb models have 192bit memory bus....the 1024mb models have 256bit memory bus. The memory bus will effect the performance of the cards at stock clocks, yes....but it will NOT limit how far the GPU itself will overclock. With the smaller memory bus, you can still achieve the same performance...you will just have to OC the memory further.

14. technogiant

technogiant New Member

GPU:
    2XGTX 460 2GB @980
    Damned if i can find that benchmark/review of the asus card at 930mhz....I read so many on release day..lol.

Still I found this from Bit-Tech

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/07/12/nvidia-geforce-gtx-460-768mb-gpu-review/3

Seems the pcb is upgraded and the heatsink extended hopefully to cover the vrm's.
    Having said that the fact that people are getting 900mhz from their palit cards is far from shabby, although Asus are claiming +50% oc ing abover stock clocks which would take it to 1Ghz region (would have to see that to believe it).

"you think the lesser in bandwidth 768 card does not clock as fast per its ram/bit size? idk maybe if it uses the same 3d core volts as the 256/1g card, it will run the same max clocks? .
    althuogh i hope your right that it overclocks very well."

"The 768mb models have 192bit memory bus....the 1024mb models have 256bit memory bus. The memory bus will effect the performance of the cards at stock clocks, yes....but it will NOT limit how far the GPU itself will overclock. With the smaller memory bus, you can still achieve the same performance...you will just have to OC the memory further"

I know the memory bus will not affect how far the gpu will overclock....although the memory quantity may.
    My point rightly or wrongly was that if the 768mb card is limited in performance by its memory structure at stock speeds then ocing the core, although it will produce performance gain, that gain would not be as much as would occur if the card was not restricted by the memory structure and infact the more you over clocked the core the more in comparative terms it would become restricted by the memory structure.
    Thats why I felt that the benchmarks for the asus 768mb card at 930mhz (which I can't find :mad:) although good would be considerably less than for a 1024mb 256bus card at the same clocks and there would perhaps be a better than the 10% improvement that you see going from a 768mb card to a 1024mb one at stock clocks.
    All speculation really...will just have to wait until Asus release it and see some benchies.

Found it at last

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3810/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-part-2-the-vendor-cards/7

ps can see that the vrm's have got heatsink in this article

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The quantity of memory on the card won't affect how far the GPU can OC either. Let me make this a bit more clear for you. The memory does NOT impact how far the GPU can over...period. The GPU will have the same overclock headroom whether the card has gDDR, gDDR2, gDDR3, gDDR4, gDDR5....whether it's 64bit, 128bit, 192bit, 256bit, 384bit, 448bit, 512bit....the memory makes absolutely no different when it comes to overclocking the GPU itself. If the GPU is capable of 900mhz with gDDR5, it's capable of the same 900mhz with gDDR2. The impact of the overclock depends on whether or not the memory bus becomes a bottleneck. In the case of 192bit gDDR5 vs 256bit gDDR5....overclocking the memory further on the 192bit bus would negate the difference. Run the memory on the 192bit bus 10-15% higher and it will have roughly the same performance as long as you don't run out of memory.

16. technogiant

technogiant New Member

GPU:
    2XGTX 460 2GB @980
    Thanks for that....so in that case I can expect to get similar clocks on the asus 1024mb version as on the 768mb version which is good....although I read that the extra ROP's on the 1024mb version can somehow reduce the overclock you can get.
    Also read that ocing the memory on these cards can reduce performance due to error checking or something...so probably another reason to go with the 1024mb card with the 256bit bus in the first place.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The GPU's on both cards is identical as shown on nVidia's spec page...I've provided a link to the GTX460 spec page below. The differences are outlined on the page. The ROP and Shader counts on both cards are the same, as is the GPU itself being a GF104. I don't know where you're getting your information from, but it's about time you start getting accurate information.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-us.html

18. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    Check out Hilberts review. The 768 mb version has 24 ROPs vs 32 ROPs for the 1024 mb card.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  19. technogiant

technogiant New Member

GPU:
    2XGTX 460 2GB @980
    The 1024mb version has 32 rops as opposed to 24 on the 768mb card...was just about to direct you to the anandtech review but was beaten to the draw....but here it is anyways

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-the-200-king

Was just reading a review on palit sonic platinum 460 1024mb oced to about 900mhz here

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/palit_gtx460_sonic_platinum/

Was just as I thought at the resolution I'm looking at 19x12 when this card is oced to it's max it outperforms gtx470, 5870 and 5850 at their stock speeds in almost all the games. Seems to be a real fireball at the price.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA