Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic could have issues

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 14, 2010.

1. DariusD

DariusD New Member

GPU:
    8800GT
    I have cancelled my preorder of Palit Sonic (non plat) card. Thanks God it was not in stock in my country :) That was quite easy to do after reading that non platinum versions also have a cooler without heatpipes ( sure it was never promised, but i was under impression that is the case after reading numerous reviews.. ).

And this whole story is good example of bait and switch. I am pretty much sure that card passes all validation by Nvidia with flying colours even without mosfet heatsinks, but customers were atracted by additional OC capacity and silence they would have enabled.

P.S. And i have also filed and sent complaint to Nvidia about this whole affair, and i would suggest everyone else who was hurt by this case does the same. Hopefully it won't go without notice.

2. HeXadecimal

HeXadecimal Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 1GB OC Cyclone
    From the guy who just updated his cards BIOS:

3. zyzeast

zyzeast New Member

GPU:
    HD5850
    Is there a BIOS update for the regular sonic edition? Or is it only for the platinum? I got two sonic edition ones off newegg and they are arriving next week, anyone know if those have noise issues? I don't want a jet engine in my system :(

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Looks like a lot of people are not happy with the 460's, as they are getting RMA'd in droves, and people even refusing the deliverys, what a fiasco.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    460 is a perfectly fine product. It's just that Palit did not deal with this launch right. I'm glad to hear that the new BIOS does make a good difference.

Rich_Guy, this is borderline trolling and it ALWAYS comes from sombody who has a card from the opposing side, in your case ATI.

Come on man, behave.

6. DariusD

DariusD New Member

GPU:
    8800GT
    Wow, talk about jumping to quick conclusions. Myself I have ordered MSI card right after cancelling Sonic non platinum. That's just Palit that's not treating its customers right, other cards are perfectly fine.

I am happy to read that BIOS update solves noise issues, but still it should not have happened at all...

7. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Any instructions on how to use it? I run the EXE as an administrator and a box pops up saying Loading VGA BIOS update module and it just hangs there and does nothing!

Help please!!

*Edit* Will the fact I have two in SLI affect it?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah I would definiately try this with one card at a time installed.

9. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    AGAGAHHFHFGHASGAHHAGHSHGAGA.......... Nothings ever easy!!

Thanks for the tip!

10. HeXadecimal

HeXadecimal Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 1GB OC Cyclone
    I'd flash it in dos mode as well, far safer than trying to flash in windows.

11. vpsaline

vpsaline Member

GPU:
    6950 2GB crossfire
    I would like to know this aswell. Wonder if installing that revised platinum bios on a sonic edition voids warranty?

12. lowrider007

lowrider007 New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX460 sonic Plat
    Well I also tried the bios executable that guru3d hosted but the update tool just hung on my W7 x64 system like kitch9's, I ended up using the bios I got from Palit in my email in the end, it's not an executable like the one guru3d received, they give you the rom file, nvflash, + the full instructions on how to update the bios in a rar file, worked straight away.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/240856/gtx460_SonicPT_bios.rar

I have limited bandwidth on my dropbox acc so if anyone else can host the file it would be much appreciated.

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    or not
    who wants to make a cooler for a non ref board?
    its the darn big rectanglar duel dvi box,it gets in the way of alot exsisting vga cooler on the market.
    only the geniuses at palit have dvi side by side
    a refernce over and under card is better for the modder

this card you take off the cover and fan(one piece 4 screws),and add two 80's or a 120.
    just a fan over the vrm is ok in my case,i dont see why it would not be in anyone else case? ...over 9o0 oc's with some added volts and cool air np for me.
    that gets back to palits to warrenty and conditions
    1 year and you cant even breath on it or it voids your chances on a rma.

i think the hoyd toyds(stuck up i cant have noise types) were mostly upset about the jet noise..ok w/e you got your bios...like you could not set your own parimeters?.
    next time they should tell them its prototype before they mail them to reviewers

i hope my incoming pny 460 does not get beat up in the interwebs for some reason :nerd:

i'm not hurt in anyway by this but i like to bitch

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Hi Cowie
    I deciphered the first bit but got lost at "...over 9o0 oc's".
    Can you also explain 'beath' and 'hoyd toyds' pls :)

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    lol nah i'll confuse you more

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Borderline trolling :confused:, i apologise if thats how it came across, as that was not how it was intended, as i just made an observation from reading the forums (and others), these cards are getting RMA'd because of the missing VRM heatsink, it is a fiasco by Palit (even you said here they didn't deal with the launch right), but at least they are now rectifying it with the new BIOS :)

EDIT: I see the mistake in my above post, it should be these 460's (as in Palits), reads like im on about them all. :p

17. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  18. roman63

roman63 Member

GPU:
    Point of View GTX580
    New VGA BIOS works OK in Gainward 460GLH 1024MB. :):banana:

Thx, Hilbert. :)

Old and new VGA BIOS (rom file only) for Palit/Gainward 800/1600/4000 is hier: http://www.box.net/shared/c7c5v1e5fj

19. Maximus7724

Maximus7724 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950 PCS+ @ 1150/1500
    It looks like these cards dont need VRM sinks, however i would def put mem sinks on myself.

20. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB