1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic could have issues

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Simplex

Simplex Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I sold my palit platinum to a friend (after bios update). I warned him that the card gets loud under load and that it can be tweaked using MSI Afterburner - but he told me the loudness does not bother him that much... Just today he asked me "what was the name of that software you told me about that can make this card quieter?" :p

There is a Polish test of 4 GTX460 models and unsurprisingly, Palit was criticized for loudness and gigabyte praised for the opposite :)

http://www.benchmark.pl/testy_i_recenzje/GTX_460_w_czterech_smakach-3156/strona/10506.html

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    what worked best for me was taking out the 4 screws that hold the fan/shroud uplug the fan and mount a 120 sized one on it with a fan controler.
    really helps cool the core and vrm area alot better then the stock pos.

3. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti HC
    Yeah, but I have standard, not OC'ed 768MB version, which runs much cooler than Sonic Platinum. And changing BIOS'es really helped with lowering noise. Before the moment that game started, card went into hairdryer mode :p Now it is much, much better.

And the review that you have referenced use Palit with old BIOS - every person that isn't deaf would call that loud :D

I will return my card to the shop anyway - it has damaged HDMI port (they already got me new one, but I must have stumbled on damaged batch - both have damaged HDMI port) so I will probably get Gigabyte GTX460 1GB - too bad it doesn't have RAM heatsinks - but at least VRM's have heatsinks :)

4. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Its a very nice card the one from Gigabyte !

5. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I'm thinking that my gpu is extremely quiet, about the same as a sapphire vapor-x 4870. Runs alot cooler than the 4870 too.

6. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti HC
    In the attempt to fix my HDMI port issues with Palit GTX460 768MB card I received new BIOS from Palit support - it's newer than the one on the Palit website.

For anyone who wants to try:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ET79V6YW

Remember, that I have GTX460 768MB version. I don't know if this BIOS will work for 1GB versions.

This BIOS definitely HAS new fan profiles.

I just ordered one as a replacement for my damaged Palit card. I got my money back and those cards are cheaper now than on the premiere, so I got new Gigabyte 1GB OC version for only a little more that I've paid for Palit 768MB version.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010