Pagefile setting with new ram.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cochise, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

...theres gotta be a way to fix that... mostly like the version of the hal layer drivers...

2. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

or as i've just found out.. using pae to extend to 32bit mapping registers to 36bit registers...

3. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
  4. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX N560Ti TwinFrozr2
    Usually for optimum performance, it is better to keep just the double amount of your ram into pagefile settings.
    but as you have 4GB of ram, you cant afford 8Gb of space from your system drive usually. So i suggest you keep settings to system managed size!

by the way do you actually feel the difference of having 4GB of Ram?? I have 1 GB and find it pretty suitable for all my needs. But still looking for 2GB!! and thats the limit.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    4gb of ram hurts your latency because it has to work thru 4 sticks. Dont have the link off hand, but optimal is 2gb in 2 sticks (not 4 x 512mb). There just isnt anything out there yet that can use 4gb.

Re page files, some applications will not work without a page file regardless of how much ram you got (Photoshop).

6. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

thats what Dual channel helps to overcome alanm, it helps to overcome the high latencies that using large amounts of ram cause :)

hmm... in this case would be it quad channel though... as 2 sticks are dual channel.. so 4 sticks would be quad channel... it works and makes sense in theory... but we all know its not the case :p

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  8. Brian the King

Brian the King Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC
    Doom3

roar 10 characters is not cool, especially when I type in like 20 chars and it still wants more. WTF that's like 40 and it still won't let me post. omg I figured it out. You can't use parenthesis, it counts them and all insided as 0

9. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

creat a 1 gig ram drive.an put pagefile on it man when u do this its quick as ****

10. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC
    Do you know any freeware that can do this HLH?

11. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Windows XP Pro does not support 36bit pae. Windows Server Enterprise does though..

to get all 4gb you need 2 things working together:
    1. a 64bit o/s (or server 2003 32bit enterprise, but then more then 4gb is paged)
    2. a bios that properly supports memory hole remapping.