P4 800MHz 3.0@3.6

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by PinBot, Nov 3, 2007.

1. PinBot

PinBot Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870 1gb
    Hi guys, Im having one doubt. I recently overclocked my 3.0 to 3.2 and FSB/RAM were on sync mode (1:1). System started to randomly restart since obviously mem (DDR3200=400MHz) couldnt handle almost 430MHz. I then turned on async mode in bios, so now I was able to clock CPU to 3.6 and mem stayed @400MHz. Since its stable this way, I intend to keep it that way. Temps are 50-58*C, which is fine.
    My question is, does anybody have any explanation on SYNC and ASYNC modes between FSB/RAM speed. Which is better (that one is obvious:D), why, and how does this work on Intel platforms. What do you think will I loose much in communication between CPU and Memory with ASYNC configuration?
    Thanks in advance.

Sicerly yours,
    Pinbot:D

2. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    it changes the divider your fsb and memory are running.download cpu-z and check the memory tab for fsb:dram setting to find out what your running.it will also tell you what speed your memory is running at.the easiest way to check for gains and losses with divider changes is to run super pi after each change.
    you will likely want to play with your memory timings as well.that may net a decent gain.
    nice oc btw!

3. PinBot

PinBot Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870 1gb
    I think I got lucky, Ive read that P4 3.0HT (800) is not such a great overclocker. I put timings to 2.5-3-3-7, and thats teh lowest they'll go. Temps didnt go over 59 so far, I'm satisfied:p. Strange thing is that I dont see teh difference between 3.0 and 3.6 as I was expecting. Maybe I've expected too much:) I just hope it will stay stable as it was so far.

4. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    3ghz to 3.6ghz isnt exactly a lot on a p4, since the northwoods topped out at 3.4ghz for stock cpu's and again 200mhz isnt hard on a netburst cpu. So you may get more clocking out of it yet.

But other than that, and its stable whos complaining :D

5. DJCyclone

DJCyclone Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX 675/1500/2200 W-Cooled
    I managed to get my old 3.0 prescott running at 3.9

Thing is that it was running stable for a couple of months but then it wouldn't boot.

Had to drop it to 3.6 the it was fine.