P4 3.0 Prescott OVERHEATING! PLZ HELP!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Neodar, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Neodar

Neodar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TOXIC HD 4850
    I've got a problem...

Right now it's 36 C in and out of my home and Hmonitor is giving me a hard time.

I have a Zalman 7700 Full copper (if im right) working at full speed and still my CPU hits temps of over 60! At these days my temp at idle is 50-53 C degrees.

But when i want to backup some dvd's of my own (so it's legal, don't worry) Hmonitor goes crazy...telling me my CPU is above the threshold of 60C degrees. I thought my cooler was okay....but now i have doubts about it.
    And i havent even played games yet! How the F**K should i be doing anything without damaging my CPU? :bang:
    BTW: My cpu is not OC'ed, the only thing is i have A ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, wich i know is PRO overclocking....and does this on AUTO.

Can anyone help me out? Because this can not be normal for my CPU! (although i know it's a prescott)

THNX Neodar

2. P@pi

P@pi Member

GPU:
    x800GTO fireblade 400/490 @ 565/630
    Hmm what about more fans in your case :dave: ?? It helped me a lot from nearly 70°C in burn to about 55°C (2 fans added, the first to the rear side of my case - 80mm and second I sticked behind my PSU - another 80mm).

3. CraftHell

CraftHell Master Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD 5770 @ 1300/875
    lol my p4 2.8 @ 3.57 gets 40idle on h2o 45load

4. Neodar

Neodar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TOXIC HD 4850
    problem is i already have 2 fans in my case..(one 90 mm at the front and one 120 mm at the rear.

Could it be that i can change it in my bios (Fan speed ratio) from 11/16 to 15/16 and help it that way?

If u r not willing to help...don't bother checking back okay?

5. P@pi

P@pi Member

GPU:
    Sry I can't say. Try it. But the problem is IMHO that it is only for PWM and I think there's no PWM on Zalman cooler. Is there PWM (4-pin cooler)??

EDIT: maybe if you are not going to OC your CPU, you may try to lower your VCore setting a bit, I applied this on with my notebook and it lowered my Dothan 1.86GHz temperatures few degrees down.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  6. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    Turn your auto oc off. (what bios version btw?)

Have you recently installed the Zalman??

Check that the cooler is making good contact with the cpu, if necessary remount it with a fresh application of AS5.

If you are using the Zalman Fanmate at full rpm then I think you have contact/ thermal compound problems.

I presume you have checked for dust build up in the Zalman fins and cleaned them out if necessary.

EDIT: Don't use the thermal compound that comes with the Zalman, get some AS5 (Arctic Silver 5) or any other 99.9% silver based thermal compound.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  7. Neodar

Neodar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TOXIC HD 4850
    Well... i tried to change Fan speed ratio..and it worked..with no or minor extra noise production...now my cpu stays under 55C. so it's has cooled down some..

BIOS VERSION is 1019

Somehow Fanmate is coexisting next to Q-fan..?
    I've been using this zalman since i bought this pc (2 years old now i guess) I have checked for dust build up...but there wasn't any..(i clean it regularly)

Imust say now the weather has cooled down...i dont''t have any problems at all...(allthough i do check temps with Hmonitor to be on the safe-side.)

EDIT: BTW auto-oc off is no option in my bios....THESE r the choices: standard, auto, 10%, 20% and 30% overclock.
    Neodar

8. P@pi

P@pi Member

GPU:
    Congrats :thumbup:. So what's the difference between the two options in Fan speed ratio?

9. brz555

brz555 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3x OC
    check if there's dust blocking the airfolw on zalman and case's fans. also check if in bios your cpu has enabled internal thermal control. also when it's hot like now days, 30C in room, i leave my case's side pannel off. i'm on zalman cnps9500 and same proc as you at 3.6GHz, load is under 47C
    try to bend your flat cables (IDE, floppy..) so they don't block the airflow as well

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  10. Neodar

Neodar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TOXIC HD 4850
    Yes it is enabled in my BIOS...i don't think i should be turnig it off right?
    About the cables...i have SATA Drives so the airflow should not be affected, the only thing dangling around in my case are the cables of my PSU...and i have tried to get them out of the way of the airflow without luck...:realmad:

Neodar

11. kenace0

kenace0 Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx geforce 9600 gt
    have you tried reseeting the heatsink ?
    my room temp is 30c my cpu is at 34c idele 45/47c load with a bigtyphoon you should be geting beter temps than me :)

12. Neodar

Neodar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TOXIC HD 4850
    U mean take the whole thing off and put it back in place?

Could try it...allthough i do know my hardware...im not eager for doing such things..:rolleyes:

BTW: I doubt i get better temps then u...reason..Your CPU is newer and has (correct me if im wrong) lower amount of nm. IMHO this would normally create lower temps anyway. My temps are most off the time higher than expected though.

THNX Neodar

13. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Latest BIOS for P4C800-E Deluxe is 1023 and there is a beta 1024.001 as well.

There should be a Manual setting as well. Using standard should disable the auto OC. If you do have Manual try lowering the Vcore manually.

Most OC'ers keep System Thermal disabled to avoid throttling.

I thought the Fan speed ratio was part of Q-Fan control and this only worked on Cool 'n Quiet systems (AMD) http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=35705. Anyway i think if disabled (Q Fan control) no ratio is used at all.

14. Jeremy

Jeremy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I say update the bios because I had a similar problem and apparently my bios had a flaw where it would add 20C onto the temp of the cpu. It was fixed with a bios update. Just a thought...

15. kenace0

kenace0 Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx geforce 9600 gt
    you may be right but i have heard that my p4 prescott runs very hot
    and yes take it off clean it and the chip and reinstall with new as5 !

16. jeffy

jeffy Active Member

GPU:
    GTX570 TwinFrozrII OC
    i think i have the exact same processor as you.

I had the stock cooler before and i had like 60 idle o_O

but now i changed to the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, put some new AS5, got a new case with 120 mm at rear and 120 mm at front, and 1 80mm side.

my idle is around 35-40 and load is around 45-50.

17. Area-S4

Area-S4 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor X1900XT 512MB
    i think changing the thermal paste should really help with that, i ve got same cpu and an xp-120 - i had 38C idle and maximum 50 at load BEFORE i changed the mabo last time. now its about 45 idle and up to 60-65 in games o0

but i am quite sure is just messed up the paste on the heatpspreader.. i will check this in a few days, when ive got time ;)

18. Neodar

Neodar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TOXIC HD 4850
    Well...ihave searched for the as5 stuff and all....but no luck...it is not to be found in holland.....none of the stores could even order it (thought i look it up before i pull off my cooler :) ) So i guess im gonna order the whole over the i-net.

jeremy2223 : i wil take a look...and see how it goes

thank you guys for helping me out.

NEODAR

19. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    lol get some new and better thermal paste, take the HSF off and then clean all the former paste off. apply the new paste and make sure it spreads over it well but not to much that its so much.

Check your instructions to assure that youve placed the fan on correct and make sure it is tightly on. As well check the chip to assure that it is ont he right way even though Id doubt it would work if it wasnt.

Go into Bios and make sure the fan speed is over 2000rpm. If you have a fan control device put that as max. If you still recieve this same crap amount of heat well then some part of hardware has to be faulty.

20. Neodar

Neodar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TOXIC HD 4850
    My fan is @ 2300 - 2400 rpm...so that's okay...

Wouldn't it just crash or do nothing if it wouldn't be on the right way?
    Because i have been running it for nerely 2 years... :D

Neodar