Oy Vey Win 7 DriveGrrrrrs

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by CoolaX365, Jul 7, 2009.

1. CoolaX365

CoolaX365 Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8600 GT
    Edit 2*

Just opened my Video Card seperated the fan. Half the thermal paste is on the fan and half on the gpu. Is this normal for thermal paste?

[​IMG]

Edit* Due to my low low resolution from no drivers, I can't tell if the pics i posted are too large or need to be edited. Please let me know thanks!

--------

Woo, excuse me but I've just gone through a barrage of install/uninstall/install/uninstall/install/uninstall/install etc etc for the past... mmm.. close to 4 hours now.

I'm typing this without no drivers since any driver I attempt to install it just goes craaaaaaaaaazy on me. (I've tried a butt load of drivers. I'm on 64 Bit Win 7 and I tried old ones, Vista ones, WHQL and modified.)

The problem: I believe they have to do with the 185.xx drivers of Nvidia. Or it's my graphics card. Currently playing a game called Aion and I get these stretch-mark like things on my screen.

Behold the pic!

[​IMG]

But then it started happening in other areas of Win 7:

[​IMG]

Did my video card just die or does it hate me... or both?

Any help would be mucho appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  2. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    Are you sure you monitor cable is tight? sometimes the cable/plug and caseframe get in the way. Did you install proper chipset drivers? I think it would help if you provide better details about your PC including LCD. How long has it been doing this? Oh and the pictures are huge. Use Paint and resize them 50%. LOL!

3. CoolaX365

CoolaX365 Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8600 GT
    Thanks! Sorry about the pics just resized them.

I just put in the low-grade card the PC came with and everything is running stable. It's not powerful enough to run a game or anything but enough to run basic stuff.

So I suspect its not the driver anymore, it seems like the card has died. :(

The cable is indeed tighty. Aye on the correct chipset drivers. And it's been doing this for the past 9 hrs.

I'm on a widescreen 22' Dell LCD.

I'm going to try to kick my video card to see if that works, will report back with results.

4. Luka_Aveiro

Luka_Aveiro Member

GPU:
    GTX850M
    Seems like your card is overheating.

Try to:
    - clean it's dust;
    - increase fan speed;
    - lower GPU and memory clocks, one at a time;
    - if you feel like you can do it, try to substitute the old thermal paste with new one.

If nothing of this brings it back to normal, return it to RMA.

Oh, and 190.15 drivers work great on Win7, try them too.

5. CoolaX365

CoolaX365 Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8600 GT
    I did the clean part. Not sure how to do the increase fan speed/lower GPU and memory clock.

But regarding the thermal paste, check out the pic I edited in the first post. Could that be the issue?

6. shaggeyman39

shaggeyman39 Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X 4850 705Clock 1150Mem
    Dude your card is bad,, The thermal paste is fine. Send for return or RMA asap. It sucks when you got to return. It just happens sometimes. I have personally had 2 video cards and one stick of memory fail over 4 years. Good luck. Your VERY last resort if you cant return or refund is the oven trick and it works.
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=606658
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=385973
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=96315

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  7. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    be nice if you could check in Vista or another computer. Got a friend you can let them use the card and see if they have the same problem??

I had (new card) some like one of the pics but it was after sleep.. but went away fast. It was just in Windows 7. Vista 32/64 MAC.. all run perfect.

8. TheAgeOfMen

TheAgeOfMen Master Guru

GPU:
    750M
    Its dead, one of your pipes have busted and now u have "artifacts" + "glitches" ...

Try get a refund or buy a new one, nothing to do with the gpu itselfe or its cooling.

9. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    I think problem is visible on your picture
    [​IMG]

Looks like leaking capacitors to me. Unless someone exchange it with good ones, for example from dead card, you are out of luck.

10. Wermin

Wermin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    Those capacitors are solid state, and therefore I don't think that's the case.

11. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Unless it's just a trick of the light tops of those electrolytic caps look distorted and are probably failing...

12. CoolaX365

CoolaX365 Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8600 GT
    This might help to clarify:

[​IMG]

annnnd

[​IMG]

Whelps I think this is the end of the road for this thread. Capacitors blown indeed. Thanks everyone for your help!

13. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    looks like your pc has been getting very hot internally resulting in wat see, a few of them chips have melted edges .. for future i would make sure u are using any cooling to its full capacity or add fans if u need to

14. Wermin

Wermin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    Oh, so there is actually an blown capacitor! Damn!
    Luckily it's very easy to fix, if you have done some soldering in your time.

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    It's time for a new card, you have a blown cap, 3 more about to blow, chips melted. It's not worth fixing as others mentioned. Get a 9600GT to replace this one if you can.

And as others have stated. Get more fans if your PC can house them. Make sure your PC isnt in a closed up area not able to breath. Yes a space with about a foot of open space in all directions is ideal if you can.

16. CoolaX365

CoolaX365 Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8600 GT
  17. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Come on mate. Best suitable card is GT260 216sp for u... dont even think about those 9600 8800gt.. Please take a look at tomshardware.com graphic card charts for comparisons. Trust me... (or at least GT260 192sp)

edit :

Sorry. didnt see 375w PSU..... 9600, 8800gt possibly enuf for 375w..

18. conneh

conneh Member

GPU:
    EVGA GT 240
    That's funny, my 8800GTS fried when I started Aion for the first time. Artifacts all over the screen, even outside of 3D apps and Windows. Had to RMA it. How long have you been playing the game prior to this?