Overwatch 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Nov 1, 2019.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    just announced at blizzcon

GameHaven66 likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nobody wants this.

Embra, emperorsfist and cerebus23 like this.
  3. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 20.2
    meh

emperorsfist likes this.
  4. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I really think this should have been an update to the current OW but what the heck, I will still probably buy it... probably...

signex likes this.

5. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    No sarcasm here, but no longer than maybe 2 weeks ago (when I first started to read about and hear people mentioning "Overwatch 2") I genuinely thought that "Overwatch 2" was a joke made up by the community, and that for some reason it was gaining some sort of viral-like trendy traction and more and more people started to say things like "So yeah, OW2 is coming" as I was playing some Quick Play matches. After about a week of that stuff I started to think for myself "WTF are they on about, if it was just a joke nobody would start speculating on things like this". Then just a few days ago... "leaks" of pictures and art and even what appeared to be screenshots taken from an actual trailer or gameplay demonstration got out (the picture where you can see the Talents that can be upgraded for Tracer). When I saw those leaks the only thing that came to mind was: "This is way too elaborate for a joke".

The gist is, OW2's announcement absolutely took me offguard as as I was absolutely never 'expecting' a sequel to a multiplayer-focused game that already does Activision Blizzard wonders as an obvious gold mine especially with eSports. Also, that OW1 is still rather recent of a game, especially as a Blizzard game (knowing how long it usually takes them to make a game, even a sequel). So yeah, I never asked for this, never expected it nor ever thought it could even happen within the next couple of years before maybe we would start hearing about it somewhere down the line of a 6 or 7 years-old life span for the first game. But here we are, only 3 years after Blizzard's first new IP in their history since what feels like eternity, and already they're working on a sequel for it. The last time that happened was probably since Diablo 2 (D2 was released about 4 years after the first game came out).

The one thing I'm happy about with OW2 is that it will finally touch the painfully missing lore of that universe and its characters. I'm actually excited about the Story Missions a lot more over anything else that the game will offer. I do play some occasional quick matches here and there but generally-speaking it wouldn't be too exaggerated to say that I "don't care" much about OW1 at this point. I did get my fill of it at this point and a new OW game, perhaps surprisingly enough, would actually give me the better reason to "come back to OW" over anything else they might do in the meantime for OW1. The thing is that with OW2 now being official and knowing that it is OW2 that will give us PvE and lore-related missions it's pretty clear what remains of OW1, and it's also clear that beyond the yearly event-based game modes there's never going to be proper campaigns or story missions in OW1 and that they now 'reserve' that stuff for OW2. So, to me, that means that OW1 just ran its course and is now officially just viable for eSports.

I am, however, still surprised that we're here talking about OW's sequel just 3 years after it was released. But I cannot hide my happiness seeing this universe moving on to new territories beyond just being mostly a PvP game.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  6. GameHaven66

GameHaven66 Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 8GB
    Can't wait

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its note even really a sequel, all the non pve story content will be coming to overwatch 1.

They could have just gone ahead and added the story content as a paid dlc to overwatch.

People playing on overwatch 1 will be playing against people playing overwatch 2.

8. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
  9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    so will bliz fans play this for a month get bored and bail out again and leave bliz there to pander and annoy everyone next year? my magic 8 ball says yes.

how about just skipping the garbage.

signex likes this.
  10. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Activision is cracking the whip.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Since you get the cosmetics and the maps and gamemmode for OW1 as well, this smells like a pretty overpriced SP DLC.

Although, since you don't need OW2 for the multiplayer part, and keep all your cosmetics from OW1 when you buy OW2, they did everything right in terms of taking stuff over and still not seperating the player base.
    For that alone, I honestly wondered if they wouldn't deserve to be paid for OW2 just because they don't make it mandatory. As in, the one who doesn't force you to pay more might deserve my sympathy and money more than other devs.

12. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Yawn
    TF2 is still better.

cerebus23 likes this.