Overlay not showing in Grim Dawn x64

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Robyn, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Robyn

Robyn Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060-6
    I didn't find any mentions of Grim Dawn issues with search on forums. Can anyone help with overlay not showing in this game? This is specific to better x64 version, for some reason x32 works fine but it's outdated according to developers. I tried custom 3D and different application detection levels, different display modes, no luck so far :(

UPD. I tried latest 4.6.3 and 7.3.0, clean installation and apparently, default and old profile, ANY x64 game not showing overlay. Nothing changed on my PC since yesterday so I don't even know what is causing that issue...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Set injection delay to 15000

This game does some weird things at startup where immediately injecting the overlay fails.

Robyn likes this.
  3. Robyn

Robyn Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060-6
    Checked, it was 15000 by default, didn't work.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    check in the rtss install folder that RTSSHooks64.dll exists.

Robyn likes this.

5. Robyn

Robyn Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060-6
    Yes, it's here and process is active. After downgrade to 7.3.0 it works. Is there some bug in new 7.3.1 version? Worth to update?

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I get “demotivation it was working before, you broke it” feedback on every single version, on every single feature. So it doesn’t worth updating. I do nothing but add new bugs. Seriously, simply stay on old versions forever if you think so. And I’ll continue working on new versions for others having no difficulties with updating.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There is some sort of issue with this game (likely the game itself), since RTSS overlay doesn't reappear following a changing of the Fullscreen/Windowed state, but it seems to be working for me without touching the option.

Nvm, i think i have a fix. @Unwinder for you to include in 7.3.whenever :)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/594661727057215510/821110696409563166/Grim_Dawn.exe.cfg File is Grim Dawn.exe.cfg, discord added an underscore

[RendererDirect3D11]
    RestrictMultipleSwapChains = 0

This game seems to completely break the RTSS hook following a mode change (Window state, vsync, triplebuffering etc). The issue Robyn is having is not reproducible by myself but it could have something to do with their setup (gsync maybe?) this profile makes the rtss overlay work across these mode changes.

@Robyn

Put this in c:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\ProfileTemplates\

This also seems to have stopped a potential condition where the game locks up (after changing video settings) with a high cpu usage and you have to spam the windows key to get the task bar up.

My guess (without breaking out the debugger) is the developer has chosen to create a new DXGI swapchain during the application of these settings and cleans up the existing one afterwards, instead of the opposite, clean up then recreate.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Robyn likes this.
  8. Robyn

Robyn Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060-6
    I didn't say that, don't need to be rude or sarcastic. I just asked what can cause that problem with x64 games on new version...

I can confirm that, even with working RTSS now this one issue still present.
    I don't really know that means, but when I was searching about my problem I read somewhere about that DXGI swapchain thing like something in Windows 10 updates was introduced recently that can cause some troubles with overlays, injectors and alt+tab. I've got some stable, but rare crashes with alt+tab + RTSS + reshade, mostly it was fixed with custom Direct3D support option enabled. But some of them just stays on background or goes black, but with sound and controls until I disable RTSS or reshade.
    Thanks, that works! Overlay now stays on screen after settings change. Just need to remove _ in file name, it's "Grim Dawn.exe.cfg"

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ah yes, the only issue with discord is its need to alter file names with spaces.

Robyn likes this.