Overkill Airflow?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Elajitz, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Holy moly, that's FANtastic :eek::eek::eek:

Undying and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Does the AIO even get cold air?

Bottom right fan get's sucked out right away, and the GPU steals it's air from the left most bottom ones.

The 3 fans on the side should be intake.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    I listened to you in the last thread so the side fans are intakes now i switched them. So there is a 6 intake and 4 exhaust fans.

4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Better.

Undying likes this.

5. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Do the 6 intake fans shovel less air than the 4 exhaust ones? You should aim for under pressure, not over pressure. So more air should get shoveled out than in. Helps thermals.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    As a gpu dumbs alot of hot air inside i though more exhaust fans will be better but its not the case. I always aimed for positive air pressure and it seems to be better. It actually does reflect the temperatures but not by much compared to previous configuration.

7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Positive pressure is also better for keeping dust out of the system (reduces the chance for it to settle on components)

Maddness and AsiJu like this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    Or rather the system natively pushes air out instead of sucking it in.
    So dust doesn't get sucked in through small openings in case.

Clean spaces are often over pressurized for this reason.

As to topic airflow logic matters more than amount of fans, flow from bottom / front to top / back.
    Too much fans can make them start conflicting.

tunejunky and Maddness like this.
  9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.3Ghz
    Three things need to happen and that's as far as it goes for one-size-fits-all solutions.
    1 Warm air must be removed from the case
    2 Room ambiant air must be introduced into the case.
    3 Warm air must be removed from the component.
    At the most basic level i look at those three separately although yes they are linked.

tunejunky likes this.
  10. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    My rule of thumb for good thermals is to run the PC at full throttle with the side off and monitor temps. Then do the same with the side on and if the temps are cooler with the PC enclosed then I have a viable set up.
    I actually did this last night to find my GPU 10 c cooler when enclosed. Yep 10c cooler in an enclosed case. :cool::p

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.3Ghz
    Viable sure but maybe not the most efficient, and ultimately you are ticking the three boxes i mentioned.
    Just by having the sides off doesnt mean warm air will be removed from the case or that (cooler) ambient air is introduced, it certainly doesnt mean that air is being circulated around the components.
    Putting the 'flow' into 'air flow' so to speak.

vestibule and tunejunky like this.
  12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT, 2070
    Vestibule did the trial and error which is always the best way to validate.
    Pegasus is correct

most of the times, in most of the (pc) cases both are correct, but in some (pc) cases bad design and obstructive componentry eliminate the (direct) ability to do as Pegasus says.
    this was made worse by the rise in GPU thickness and length and with Intel & Nvidia pushing the power envelope - and people keeping the same case.

in the ideal circumstances your case should be no different (in effect) than a wind tunnel.
    as heat always rises avoid having a complex system in a case without top ventilation.
    while there are cases w/o top exhausts, some function as a top exhaust by having a vertical cut-out for a radiator...and the radiator fans compensate as they're near the VRMs, and the rear exhaust also acts as a top exhaust. but there are others (NZXT im looking at you) that are unsuited for complex systems that produce a lot of heat.

the hottest running system i've had was an Intel HEDT with GTX980 SLI
    that was the first time i had to change cases because of (lack of) air flow. after that i've stuck w/ top exhausts (my Lian Li is an exception like i pointed out) and bottom intakes (even if i have to mod them myself)

pegasus1 likes this.