Overheating Problem with my x1950pro?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by w1w, Dec 2, 2006.

1. w1w

w1w Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    I'm having a problem with I believe to be overheating. Although, I don't think the card is supposed to overheat this quickly.

My PSU is a 535w Enermax FMA
    12v1 = 18A
    12v2 = 18A

Which, according to the manual gives me a total of 34A which seems enough for the card.

So far I can replicate the problem as follows (roughly):

Call of Duty 1 runs fine but when I try to run Far Cry or Quake4 or anything newer the card gets real hot then the screen will go blank. This lasts for about 30secs before the PC restarts itself.
    After a reboot Windows tells me my display driver has issued a "stop" command, followed by the usual "send error report" to microsoft tool.
    However, if I try to run anything with a 3d graphic, including the Catalyst 3d settings, the screen will straight away go blank again and will repeat the process.
    Only after turning the PC off and back on again will I be able to run 3d apps.

I try running the PC with the case off but the problem still happens, albeit after 10 more mins of play.

Bear in mind, Call of Duty 1 seems fine no matter what, so I assume the other games are just putting more stress on the card.

Is my card a duff one?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  2. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    Do you have pci-e or agp ?

3. w1w

w1w Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    Sorry, forgot to mention.

I have a pci-e system. (x16).

4. Micky9000

Micky9000 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 OC 512
    Have you got ATI tool? you can use that to monitor your temps, riva tuner can do the same and see what temps you get til you get the error and you will know if its overheating or not.

5. binormalkilla

binormalkilla Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870X2 XSPC water block
    I get the black screen if I overclock past a certain point....I have the Sapphire. For me the issue is the VRMs overheating. Do you overclock, and if so what are your clocks?

6. flow

flow Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 2000Mhz
    You can use ati tray tools,ATT for short.It has a monitor that you can set to view temps,fanspeed and free video memory , texture memory etc.
    It shows in the corner when gaming or running 3d apps(or other place,you can define that).Perfect for monitoring while playing a stressfull game.

7. w1w

w1w Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    No, I don't overclock at all.
    Will try the tray tools out though.

8. binormalkilla

binormalkilla Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870X2 XSPC water block
    Well, although ATI Tray Tools is good for monitoring GPU temperature, it doesn't monitor all of the other compontents on the card. It really sounds like either your core or memory voltage regulator module is overheating....I would send a ticket to ATI support and maybe get an RMA going, maybe they will send you a heatsink for it. Sapphire's new ULTIMATE X1950 Pro has a heatsink on the VRMs to fix this issue, here is a pic:
    [​IMG]

9. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    ati tool and ati tray tools monitors core and mem temps just to let ya know so it could be the voltage regulator.

10. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 980 Ti WF

11. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Link does not work.
    But the crashing is caused by the Voltage regulators overheating and it can be seen on saphires ultimate edition that the use a bigger heatsink on them

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  12. Unity

Unity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT
    It's hard for me to believe the troubles these cards are having when Infdamarvel himself proclaimed that they were stellar overclockers:bugeye:

13. Unity

Unity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT
    Are you sure Rivatuner doesn't? Voltage temps are included in it's hardware monitoring of my card, though it's hardly relative in comparison to your card.

[​IMG]

14. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 980 Ti WF
  15. Unity

Unity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT
    You guys must not to the ATT forum down below eh?

16. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Welcome to the world of new hardware Unit, you obviously didn't know problems occur. Don't try to call me out like that.

17. Unity

Unity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT
    I was trying to tell you that these cards had overclocking problems back in that original thread, it was you who was so sure of yourself that you shot your mouth off without any knowledge on the subject(as usual).

I just did.

It's not like you're capable of doing anything about it kid.

18. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    sigh
    so much hostility.BACK ON TOPIC PLS
    w1w you may try taking the case door off and place a housefan blowing into your case and see if the crashing still occurs.

19. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    lol, right you knew about all the problems as if you can predict the future(Guess thats why you knew about the voltage problems from the start..o wait you didn't). Ima end this here since your just some fatass on his computer mad that someone told him that his graphics card is weaker than another. Get a life.

20. Unity

Unity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT
    Your going to end what?......every time I see you post inaccurate B.S. on these forums, I'm going to be there to call you on it. Eventually this place will get cleaned up of people like you.

As far as me being a fatass, you're shooting your mouth off without knowing anything....just like you do with graphics cards.

You should be embarrassed.