Overhead Lying Dumbbell Pullover... whats ur weight

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by damien666, Oct 8, 2011.

1. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hay all ive started using bodybuilding forums and im creating quiet a racket in some of my threads, mostly with people not believing i can lift what i quote, so ive been making videos and posting them..

so for all you gym guys on here i wanna know what do you lift :)

heres a video of me lifting 50kg on Dumbbell Pullovers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwZV8r8zfOQ

2. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    there is no way in hell that is a 50Kg dumbell.

edit, oh so it is lol

3. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hahaha i take it u watched the full video then, i thought i best get a close up of the weights after that first set, i can normally do

35kg @ 10 reps
    45kg @ 8 reps
    50kg @ 6 reps

but i need a spotter to pass the weight and a 90sec rest between them unlike in this video ;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  4. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    Never done any pullovers, as I don't really see the point of it :p but I squat 165kg, deadlift 200kg and benchpress 100kg, at bodyweight of 80kg. Not absurdly strong, but no weakling either ^^

I train at a powerlifters gym, where some of the best lifters here in Denmark come from, so proper style and technique are in the highseat. Sadly I've been plagued by a shoulder injury the last couple of months and have been focusing on some exposed weakpoints due to my back being a bit too straight and having the curve a bit higher up than would be considered "normal".

5. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Damien, you're bringing the dumbbell too far up and taking the weight off your lats. A full range of motion is not as effective as if you stopped the dumbbell before it reaches forehead-level in the upper position. Currently you're going way beyond that which gives you a small rest pause after every rep.

Oh, and never done any db pullovers so can't say.

6. The Michael

The Michael Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    5kg...

...with my pinky.

7. Meta|Gear

Meta|Gear Pretty Hate Machine

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Dual-X 3L
    Who cares what people say. Internet is full of trolls. just move on.

8. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Well I CAN DO 10 REPS...

10Kg...

On a good day...

:nerd:

Thats why i never broke any of my bones, i never lifted anything heavier than my cup and my chair hahahaha

9. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I've found most ppl on the bodybuilding.com forums are insecure, rude, twats, so I don't post there, I just read and gather info :)

Some are genuinely helpful, but most of the others seem to be compensating for something...

10. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    I don't do that exercise. But I curl 55lbs. per arm in bicep curls (three sets of 8 reps). EZ-bar curl I can do 4 reps at 125lbs.

My real forte is my neck/shoulders and calves. I do dumbbell shrugs of 95lbs. (three sets of 8 reps) with minimal effort - the weights don't go higher in my gym. For deltoids-focused front-raises (with a twist of the wrist at the end so my palms face outward) I do 60lbs. (three sets of 16 reps - 8 per arm). And for calf-raises (on the leg press machine, just using my toes) I do 810lbs. + the weight of the leg press (IIRC, somewhere between 35-85lbs.; 3 sets of 3 mini-sets, each of 8 reps = 24 reps/set).

Chest is my weak area - only 85lbs. dumbbell chest press (three sets of 8 reps), and with a barbell for flat benchpress (both close-grip and wide-grip), I max out at 225lbs. at 4 reps.

Everyone is usually shocked at how much I do with those calf-raises I mentioned above. That's a leg press with nine 45lbs. weight plates per side.

- PR-0927

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    50kg is easy doing that exercise.
    You dont need a spotter to pass it you if you squat down with the weight on your lap infront of the bench,then move it into position.

13. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    i dont know what it comes out to in kg but i do 18-20 reps of 125lb

14. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I might have to try that one...have to watch my left shoulder, though. I can do lying triceps with 35lb. per side. Thirty years ago, I was using 45's. Now, I have to be careful with my shoulders and wrists. I can do concentration curls (from the floor) with 50lb dumbells. With the cable across the chest, I can get up to 120lbs. Of course at that weight, my form sucks! The thing is, if you do something continuously, you're bound to gain strength, if you try to surpass yourself each time.

15. Homonculus1987

Homonculus1987 Banned

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    Keep your arms straight OP you didnt do them right.

16. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Master Guru

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    my god men that was good. damien well good man i am imressed. i have saved that video for future use and research in trianing

17. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    You're probably stronger than me Damien judging by that video

I have 16.5 inch arms (flexed) and 25" thighs

I can bench 230lbs for 8 reps, deadlift 200lbs (i worry about my back so don't go stupidly heavy) and can standing preacher curl 121lbs

Not bad as i am 5 foot 11 and 205 lbs.

Weird dumbbell though, doesn't look anywhere near big enough for a 50KG, but it says what it says!

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Remember in the world of weight training/body building "whats one mans food is another mans poison" just because it works for somebody else dont mean its gonna work for you or anybody else,but its ok trying,thats why there are so many exercises,loads and loads of them.

Personally i would put more effort into power/mass developing exercises like benching,Dips(lean forward) and heavy flyes (as much as you can handle using the strictest form)as they will develop your chest more,once you have a decent chest then you can start doing exercises like this that extend and lift the ribcage,personally i hardly ever do these pullovers,i think there are more important exercises for development until you burn out of energy even though i have a good size chest.

Its a lot harder to become good at benching or any other power exercise than it is to be good at these pullovers,do the power exercises and the rest will follow.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  19. Tranceholic

Tranceholic Banned

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
    take roid like every other idiot on bodybuilding forum and you can lift 100kg

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    haha I used to bench 65kg in my 3 month bodybuilding moment

Used to live with a guy who did the competitions with the dream tan stuff n all that, he curled 50kg dumbells like those in your video with one arm, makes me wanna get back into it watching that, but let myself get far too out of shape now and at 32 it would kill me