OverdriveNTool - tool for AMD GPUs

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tede, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Mark Boys

Mark Boys New Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 8GB
    ty that fixed it

2. davie12

davie12 New Member

GPU:
    rx 580
    So I noticed that when I try to core clock my rx 580 nitro plus exactly at 1300 it seems to ignore the voltage settings. Has anyone else experienced this?

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    On the matter of the NCP81022 , it would appear that hwinfo is able to read from the vrm controller, not exactly sure what they are doing, hwinfo used to lockup my system if i had gpu i2c enabled (i have an rx 560 that uses an ncp81022 )
    they appear to access it directly rather than the adl library, and its reliable enough that it doesn't crash the system (anymore on the latest beta atleast).

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

ADL's native I2C access is ineffective and slow and it doesn't work at all for many cards, so all monitoring tools including HwInfo prefer to access I2C directly (to make it work for all cards and to avoid stuttering caused by slow hardware polling). But that's not a trivial task, it requires low-level driver, it requires knowing specifics of I2C microcontroller for each AMD GPU and directly implementing data transfer protocol at low level.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    ah, thanks for the info/clarification.

6. Rootax

Rootax Member Guru

GPU:
    3090 MSI Suprim X
    EDIT : sorry, wrong post.

7. moon2eth

moon2eth New Member

GPU:
    B
    [​IMG]

I can't get undervolting work with the Aug 23rd blockchain drivers or the latest 17.10.3 drivers.

Is this working for anyone? The power consumption should be around 650~700w if undervolting works.

8. tf2addict

tf2addict New Member

GPU:
    AMD
    Great tool, I've been waiting for a good replacement for Wattman.

One suggestion, it would be nice to have a grid layout for the parameters so it would be easier to see and modify all the parameters for all of your cards at once rather than having to select one card at a time. I would also like to see real-time status info like temps and fan speeds instead of using a separate tool like GPU-Z.

9. bvbdragon

bvbdragon New Member

GPU:
    its the newer drivers, creator of this said he doesnt have win10

10. Morgon

Morgon New Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    If I may make a feature request... There are ways to change the names of the devices in Device Manager. These 'FriendlyName's don't seem to be picked up by ODNT.

If there's a way you'd be able to display it, this would help quite a bit with debugging!

11. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    Try this:
    1. Use the same voltage for memory P2 and GPU P7
    2. Disable all Pstates except last
    3. Use reset before apply
    Thanks for ideas, but I don't see them interesting. For quick apply values on multiple cards use commandline -p, for monitoring use GPU-Z.
    Check your PM

@bvbdragon I've answered to your PM

12. Rampage89

Rampage89 New Member

GPU:
    8x Vega 64
    Can anyone advice, how can i associate the OverdriveNTool GPU ID with system PNPDeviceID?

13. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    Hi Rampage89
    Open Settings (left click on top-left icon, or right click on titlebar) and check "PNP string". But there is PCI\VEN_XXXX&DEV_XXXX\ part cut, because it would be too long string to display on combo box.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  14. Nero

Nero New Member

GPU:
    RX470
    Hi, I have this problem, what I need to do?
    [​IMG]

15. Drago

Drago New Member

GPU:
    rx570 8gb
    [​IMG] Hello I am setting up new cards for the miner RX570 armor 8gb and GTX 1070 and get a GPU is not supported. so no card on the rig is showing as supported. I am using the Aug blockchain drivers for AMD

https://imgur.com/ghWepcv

I disabled onboard intel graphics in device manager and set primary graphics card to pci express in the computer bios

still have zeros in all fields.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017

16. Infuriare

Infuriare New Member

GPU:
    Lots
    What a fantastic utility this is, especially the IR3567B control, would be awesome if you could add load line slope and vrm switching frequency like vrmtool has.

17. russ

russ New Member

GPU:
    R9 290
    Hi tede!
    Many thanks for the awesome tool!
    I'm facing a problem with undervolting two of my R9 290's, I've been fighting with this for a couple months so far, tried everything from this thread and still can't figure it out... Please help :D
    I have Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 and Asus R9 290 directcu II directly connected to GA-Z97X-UD3H mobo via pci-e x16 slots. I'm trying to undervolt them both using recommended setting - disable all the states except P7 (core) and P1 (mem), undervolt both P7 and P1 and reset with -r0 and -r1 before applying profiles.

My config is as follows:
    Code:
    [Profile_0]
    Name=sapphire-mod
    GPU_P0=300;993;0
    GPU_P1=483;1087;0
    GPU_P2=699;1087;0
    GPU_P3=888;1093;0
    GPU_P4=930;1118;0
    GPU_P5=965;1156;0
    GPU_P6=991;1181;0
    GPU_P7=1000;1093
    Mem_P0=150;993;0
    Mem_P1=1300;1087
    Fan_Min=1000
    Fan_Max=5000
    Fan_Target=0
    Fan_Acoustic=0
    Power_Temp=94
    Power_Target=0

[Profile_1]
    Name=asus-mod
    GPU_P0=300;993;0
    GPU_P1=483;1181;0
    GPU_P2=699;1162;0
    GPU_P3=888;1156;0
    GPU_P4=930;1193;0
    GPU_P5=965;1218;0
    GPU_P6=991;1250;0
    GPU_P7=950;1087
    Mem_P0=150;993;0
    Mem_P1=1300;1087
    Fan_Min=1000
    Fan_Max=5000
    Fan_Target=0
    Fan_Acoustic=0
    Power_Temp=94
    Power_Target=0
    Batch command is as follows:
    Code:
    OverdriveNTool.exe -r0 -c0"sapphire-mod" -r1 -c1"asus-mod"

First card undervolts ok, while the second card stays at nominal voltage (according to both Sapphire Trixx and MSI AB, temperature and power consumption also stay high). So far the only tool which is able to undervolt the second card is Sapphire Trixx.
    I've tried this on multiple version of amd drivers, both windows 7 and windows 10. I would really love to be able to apply these settings directly from the batch file without using Trixx

Here are the screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    Hi russ
    Can you undervolt via wattmann? If not, don't expect you would with OverdriveNTool
    Sapphire Trixx may use I2c to undervolt, that's why it works.

19. russ

russ New Member

GPU:
    R9 290
    hi thanks for reply!
    I've tried Wattman and indeed it doesn't do anything to my second card :(
    In fact, it also crashes the second card somehow and it stops mining when I apply undervolting to the first card...
    I'm not familiar with GPU tuning too much... Is there anything out there working with I2C via command-line (or at least more user-friendly GUI)? Also if the card is not tunable via wattman, does it mean that the card is bad or is it just the feature of different manufacturers?
    As far as I understand the challenge is to find proper registers of different voltage controllers (and you now only support IR3567B)? There are datasheets like this out there (http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/ir3565b.pdf). Is it any helpful?
    Can I help with finding datasheets? Is there a way to find out what kind of voltage controller is used in the card through the software (or should I just take a heat sink and find that chip on the board)?
    Sorry for stupid questions hehe I've only worked with I2C comm while playing with ADC converters at work, not having enough background to fully understand the challenge in here. I really like the tool and willing to help as much as I can :)

20. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    You can't undervolt because of driver bug or not oryginal bios, or something else, hard to quess...
    MSI Afterburner also uses i2c to change voltage, but I don't know if it has commandline to set voltages
    Datasheet for IR3567B wasn't really helpfull for me, but for up9505 was.
    We can try with your VRM, but first I need to know what VRM is on that card
    You can find what VRM uses your GPU by either:
    1. Use Aida64 (right click on down left corner and select Video Debug->ATI SMbus dump
    When it finishes, VRM name will be in the log under ------[ Chips Found ]------
    2. Not recommended: Take off heatsing from your GPU and read VRM name directly from pcb
    3. Search for this info on the internet