1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OverdriveNTool - tool for AMD GPUs

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tede, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Christopher Saunders

Christopher Saunders New Member

GPU:
    AMD Vega 56 8GB
    Just a FYI for anyone using 0.2.8 beta 1 (and latest drivers), I was able to get Zero RPM working correctly on my Vega 56 by setting P0 to "off" (0 degrees and 0 RPM). When the temperature hits P1 the fan will turn on as it used to with the older drivers.The only change made in Global Wattman settings was setting it to Custom profile as per usual. I did not make any further changes in there.

[​IMG]

If you want to test out fan percentages what you can do is 0 out all of the P-states then put the current ambient temp in P4 and whatever percentage you want to test next to it. As soon as you apply the changes the fan should kick in. The above are settings I found tolerable for my Gigabyte RX VEGA 56 GAMING OC 8G

Dekaohtoura, MerolaC and OnnA like this.
  2. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    Nice, this works great even on my Air Boost edition from MSI. Which doesn't have Zero fan, just like reference.

3. ninja750

ninja750 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Pulse
    this is what shoud be the fan control in wattman, they have to enable the possibility to set 0% pwm for the lower state of the fan curve and remove that odd zero rpm functionality

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Let's hope all the components used can tolerate the fan being off.

5. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    I bet so.
    [​IMG]

The RPM is misrepresented when at 0%. I can see the fan not spinning.

6. korben2600

korben2600 New Member

GPU:
    AMD RX580 8GB
    Not sure if you're aware, but just wanted to report a cosmetic issue.

When I accidently switch to onboard graphics, the tool displays the following error below. This doesn't affect performance, it's just mildly distracting.

[​IMG]

Then when I switch to a GPU, the error seems to remain:

[​IMG]

7. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    Thx for the report. Does it happen everytime when you start the program and switch between GPUs?

8. MaynardVII

MaynardVII New Member

GPU:
    1070 8GB
    ADL2_OverdriveN_SettingsExt_Get
    ADL2_OverdriveN_SettingsExt_Set

I am assuming this is what you used to set the fan states, judging by your previous posts?

I am trying to get the methods on how to do so for a script I am writing, it landed me here. Would there be a possibility of posting maybe a small article on how the methods work for fan settings, at least how you guessed them to work?

9. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    Contact me on PM, I will write you how I use these 2 functions. It's just my guess but it seems to work right. I still don't have newest ADL SDK and it seems that AMD has stopped providing last updates to ADL SDK on public. Despite of the date that states 17.01.2019 this is version 10.2 from 2016 year.

10. Draka Joko

Draka Joko Member

GPU:
    radeon 570
    My gpu is 48C and fan is 0% according to phoenix miner program. (I have set target temp 50C).

But I also have set minimum rpm. Is the fan completely shut off when my mining program shows that the fan is 0%? Or is it 0% compared to what minimum fan speed is. That it is actualle 500rpm (0%) and max is 2400rpm (100%) ?

11. player002

player002 New Member

GPU:
    R9 390 X2
    I would like to request a beta version for Radeon VII :)

12. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Member

GPU:
    rx 480 4g
    Hi, Been using this tool for some time, on my Rx 480 I can force the voltage all the way up to 1.36v but always have the same problem that the card does not allow more then 150w, maybe we can get that funcion in the future to determine how much W we can allow the card to go.

13. giofrida

giofrida New Member

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB
    Hi tede,
    yours is a very good piece of software. It works much better than Wattman and anything else I've already tried to apply some undervolt and a custom fan curve.
    Anyway, my RX 480 loses the configuration anytime I restart the pc but more importantly when I wake up the computer from sleep mode. I solved both of these problems by creating a task in "Task Scheduler" which triggers when I wake up/startup the pc and runs a script that first resets the values, then applies the custom profile. For those who need it, this is really easy to do: just create a new task and in the triggers section add the following twos:
    - "At startup" - runs when the pc is turned on, whether or not a user is logged
    - "On Event", "Log: System", "Source: Power-Troubleshooter", "ID: 1" - runs when the pc is woken up from sleep
    In the action section add a new action:
    - "Start a program", "Program: <dir>\OverdriveNtool.exe", "Add arguments: -r0 -p0"CustomProfile1" - to reset and then apply the profile

I know it's possible to write these values permanently in the card's bios, but I had problems setting the custom fan curve. Right now in the tool I disabled Zero-fan mode and adjusted the fan curve points according to my requirements. I've already tried to disable Zero-fan mode in bios, which works, but the custom fan curve doesn't. For that I know I have to select the "LUT" fan control mode, but when I change that value my pc crashes with a blue screen and I can't find a way to avoid it.

Any hint would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 9:04 AM
  14. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    First off, thank you so much for creating this tede. It has been a life saver on my Vega 64. Secondly, do you have any plans to add support for Radeon VII?

plywood99 likes this.
  15. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    Sorry, I'm not planning to add support for Vega VII for now. Mainly beacuse of lack of an updated ADL SDK from AMD, also another problem is that I'm not able to test Overdrive8 API on my GPU (not supported).

16. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Member

GPU:
    rx 480 4g
    Do you think you can add some for of control on how mutch a Polaris can poll in power for exemple mine is stuck at 150W the only way to get any better is bios mod :(