OverdriveNTool - tool for AMD GPUs

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tede, Aug 6, 2017.

1. zeef

zeef Guest

GPU:
    vega 56
    Hi Guys,

I have 2 vega 64 reddevil,

How can i use version 0_2_6 to simulate my personalized profile of wattman,

Should use -ac new command?

Thanks

2. GeodE

GeodE Guest

GPU:
    Vega56
    Hi.
    Have a problem with my Vega56 (AMD referense, samsung memory) - after crash, electricity lost or manual settings reset, .bat file applying all settings (clocks, fan, etc.) from profile except core voltage.
    Voltage settings applying ONLY on next system boot :(
    Any suggestions?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Sounds like a driver issue and it not restoring everything properly, in general I always reboot if a driver crash occurs just because it's usually not enough if the OS manages to reset the display driver and stability won't be guaranteed until a full reboot and re-initialization is done.

Manually resetting the graphics stack or using a program for it such as CRU and it's separate program for just this doesn't seem to be enough, you can set up Wattman again (Well you have to, thing resets to stock and loading the profile you can now save won't apply everything either.) but from what I did test when I was more into overclocking and under volting well the newest drivers and OS might have changed it or at least made recovery more successful but I wouldn't expect AMD's driver to resume normal operation unless the card is shut down and the drivers reinitialized through a reboot first.

Vega is a interesting little GPU that changes how this entire voltage structure works too but even if it tries to maintain a functional GPU clock speed sticking to the set voltage parameters some games just pushes it too far and you get a driver crash because it can't supply the required power. Newer UE4 games seem excellent for this pushing the GPU to it's utmost and as such are great for finding stability or a very quick driver crash if things are unstable even if other games just keep ticking on.

EDIT: As to explain that last bit somewhat better well if you set 0.950 mv for HBM or rather min voltage or the floor for what lowest is (Since HBM is actually capped via bios.) and then set state 6 to 0.951 and state 7 to 1.000 with a clock speed of 1602 for p6 to 1652 for p7 then in most games the GPU will keep around 1500 - 1550 and that's doable and the power load and balance will hold, temps are better and power usage is way down.

UE4 for some reason seem to push up to 1560+ or higher where it's no longer stable, other engines probably can do the same depending on graphical load and demand and what not but this just doesn't work and a crash is going to occur either from having too little power or temps also spiking to above 75 or even 80 at which point other components will likely be even hotter. (HBM prefers around 70 - 75 I think it was, VRM's and capacitors will vary but the newer Nano variants or at least the stock model had some component which caps at 105c which yeah don't let the GPU core go into the 90's or that's going to be a problem if that blows.)

EDIT: Which mostly comes from reading lots of stuff. :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8kvi8n/vega_64_clocks_drop_when_undervolting/

And

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8ah2gx/reliable_vega_undervolting_method/

Which has a link to this:
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...king-undervolting-information-guide.18793012/

And then even more what with PCB differences and such since many of the third party models lack full reviews. (It's almost like they're hard to find or something. :p )

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8ep26q/pcb_breakdown_rx_vega_nano_sapphire_pulse/

Which links to this:

EDIT: Kinda silly really that it's possible to drop voltage by huge amounts even on Vega 56 which isn't as well binned (And usually has the lower Hynix HBM modules though also at a lower voltage at 1.2v instead of 1.35v I think it was.) and still either overclock a little bit or at worst well there's a 5% or so performance drop but power draw and usage is way down which can be a worthwhile trade-off.
    (Say having stock speeds at 1500Mhz at 1.1v over the GPU trying and usually failing at hitting 1600Mhz at 1.2v would probably have made a big difference in total power consumption while not being too noticeable in performance though that's unfortunately because the GPU has other issues bottlenecking the core performance though it can still be quite fast.)
    (Bit OT so sticking this under a tag.)

But yeah I'm guessing this particular behavior here is a driver snag, chances are it recovers fine but gets stuck on stock voltage, at least it doesn't stick to some lower power state which was a issue with some of the older GPU models or drivers. :)
    (But this is troublesome too whether it's overclocking and stability or undervolting and power usage and temps.)

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  4. GeodE

GeodE Guest

GPU:
    Vega56
    I tried one more thing - open overdriventool, reset all setting, open from profile, apply -> settings applied except core voltage.
    Then i changed voltage setting manually using a different number (for example 879mv instead 880mv) -> apply and it is OK, voltage changed :eek:

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well that's good, interesting that it worked with a different value though that does sound similar to Wattman where when you load a profile the "Apply" button isn't available so change any one setting and then apply and then change it back for the profile to load the values fully.

Wonder if it's the same underlying driver issue then, regardless good to know there's a way around the problem. :)
    (EDIT: No probably not the exact same thing even if it's similar in symptoms since from the sounds of it this only applied to voltage not applying and the rest of the changes worked.)

6. GeodE

GeodE Guest

GPU:
    Vega56
    Yes, seems like i found the way out - use 2 profiles, "dummy" and "target" with different voltage settings.
    For example we need 880mv - apply "dummy" profile first with 879mv, and then apply "target" profile with 880mv:

OverdriveNTool.exe -r1
    timeout 5
    OverdriveNTool.exe -p1"dummy"
    timeout 5
    OverdriveNTool.exe -p1"target"

Worked for me! :)

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    zeef likes this.
  7. zeef

zeef Guest

GPU:
    vega 56
    Same problem here and worked good like you workaround hehe

8. Gianks

Gianks Guest

GPU:
    Rx 580/8GB
    Hi all, i tried with both 2.5 and 2.6 but i cannot use -consoleonly, it is just ignored since in case of error a dialog is shown anyway.
    Also -getcurrent gives no output... I am using Windows 10 Pro.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

9. Jaanus

Jaanus Guest

GPU:
    Working together with tede i have implemented OverdriveNTool support for EthControl v20 latest version: https://ethmonitoring.com

10. Flickshot

Flickshot Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 Hawk 1GB
    Hi, is it possible to make the soft PP table editor compatible without amd drivers installed on the system to simply work with bios files and reg files? Planning to install an nVidia card in the system but sometimes I work with bios files and PP table editor.

11. DrathVader

DrathVader Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 Nitro 4GB
    As I said, it might not even be a part of the Overdrive API. Also it's present only on RX400 cards afaik, maybe 300 series as well. It's definitely not there on RX 500 series and presumably Vega.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a pic for reference.
    With this switch does is it basically tries to maintain the lower core clock necessary. Great for desktop and hw accelerated video, bad for games.

12. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  13. MaxMidnite

MaxMidnite Member

GPU:
    ATI RX580
    Thanks for the new beta :) My original issues seems to have been related to Windows itself then the drivers from ATI.
    The latest April Creators update is worst release ever, updating to latest insider build fixed the problem.

Basically i'm now running latest MSI afterburner for fan controls only, need to set run at 80percent.
    I'm not sure how the software is impacting my overclocks. Is there a way to add to the program
    a fan control, so you just set a percentage from 0-100 to run the fans constantly..
    Taking the feature of afterburner.

14. Draka Joko

Draka Joko Guest

GPU:
    radeon 570
    Noone?
    Where does the program get the default fan speed values from?
    What is fan acoustic? Sapphire tells me that acoustic is the same as core clock speed on the gpu...

15. Draka Joko

Draka Joko Guest

GPU:
    radeon 570

Sapphire support refuse to answer what max rpm is on fans and what fan acoustic are.
    [​IMG]

16. Merutsu

Merutsu New Member

GPU:
    RX580 4GB
    All these values (min fan speed, max fan speed, fan rpm etc) are stored in the vbios. I think the driver reads all values from the vbios, and the program takes all data from the driver.

17. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    @DrathVader @MaxMidnite
    Added couple of commands in new 0.2.7beta3:
    -ac[gpu_id] setconstantfanspeed=[value] setpowerefficiency=[0|1] setchill=[0|1]
    setconstantfanspeed= it probably doesn't work on Vega as it uses older api to set constant fan speed, [value] is speed in percentage so use 0 - 100 or 'Auto' to set back to auto mode.
    Use on your own risk, for better GPU cooling use other programs that controll fans by temperature curve like Afterburner.
    setpowerefficiency= sets Power Efficiency ON or OFF, as @DrathVader said it probably works only on RX400 cards, as value put 0 or 'off' to disable, or 1 or 'on' to enable.
    setchill= sets Chill ON or OFF, requires driver 18.4.1 or newer, as value put 0 or 'off' to disable, or 1 or 'on' to enable.
    example:
    -ac0 setpowerefficiency=off setchill=1 -ac1 setconstantfanspeed=75 -ac2 setconstantfanspeed=Auto
    If you want to have right-click menu in GUI add DisplayFanMenu=1 under [General] in your ini for Fan menu and DisplayPowerMenu=1 for Power menu, then after program restart right click on Fan or Power section

@Draka Joko program doesn't know default values untill you make GPU reset so they can be read as current values.
    Default values can be changed by editing bios or softpowerplaytable (which overrides bios settings)
    What is Acoustic limit? Same thing as in WattMan: https://www.google.pl/search?q=acoustic+limit
    I hope this image will clarify what is what:
    [​IMG]

DrathVader likes this.
  18. Chung

Chung Guest

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX-RXVEGA56-
    I have 4 vega56 and a Ryzen 3 2200G with vega 8.
    While all 4 vega56 are fine showing up on OverdriveNTool, the vega 8 is not supported. Is this normal or have I screwed up my driver installation?

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Just as a simple question is this with 18.5.1 or 18.5.2 ?

18.5.2 adds support for two mobile Vega GPU's going by INF changes but since it's a beta driver rather than WHQL unlike 18.5.1 it also has most of the entries for APU's (on-board GPU's) removed from said file.
    So if you removed 18.5.1 and installed 18.5.2 it might have updated the 4x Vega 56 GPU's but it wouldn't have support for the on-board Vega 8 on the CPU chip.

The INF file size difference between the two is a pretty clear sign just how much they remove between WHQL and beta so I guess that means the two mobile Vega that 18.5.2 now supports are custom laptop versions and are not going to be integrated on the CPU so probably variants of Vega 56 then.

Chung likes this.
  20. Chung

Chung Guest

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX-RXVEGA56-
    I guess I still have 18.5.1
    Is it better to DDU the whole thing and download 18.5.1 again? Also, since I have turned off driver download via Windows update, will 18.5.1 support my Vega 8?

thank you