Overclocking X1800XT

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by kitch9, Nov 25, 2005.

1. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I've decided to have a play around overclocking this card.......

These things run hot, and it gets as high as 70c under load at stock and thats with 6 case fans....

What are safe temps for this card? I was thinking of pushing the card to 700 core and 1600 memory if I can.

Is cat control center safe to do this with too?

2. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    Wow, you're the first person on here I've seen with the XT. What is the stock 3dmark05 score?

As for safe temps, as demonstrated with their previous cards, I'd say keep it under 85 at all costs. I'm not sure if there are waterblocks released for teh beast yet, so perhaps water cooling is out of the question regardless.

3. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    9056 @ Stock.... Not bad, just fancy breakin 10K so I can say I have!!!

4. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Apparently all X1800XT retail cards *should* run at 700/1600 with no issues. ATI are releasing a bios to board partners to set these as default clocks so it can better compete with the GTX 512.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27911

"ATI WILL let its partners overclock their cards. The partners are aiming to bring a new old card to the market called the X1800XT OC. The card will have a special BIOS and will be shipped with a special tool that will overclock it out of the box. The cards will run at 700MHz core and 1600MHz memory."

"Almost any shipped Radeon X1800XT will work at 700/1600 MHz if not more. We also know that retail cards can overclock much more than the press samples that selected members of the press received in early October as the chips are better, I guess."

Probably wont be enough to push performance past the GTX 512, except maybe in 3D Mark 2005, but it looks like those speeds can be hit pretty easily. As always with The Inq take as you will. :)

5. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Nice........ Better get this baby warmed up!!!

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im not clocking mine, don't wanna risk it lol. :D

Mine idles around 55-56, and never goe's above 65 underload. :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  7. flashnc

flashnc Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    kitch9.....get the atitool beta 9 http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=6615

it is better than the built in CCC version.

you cant run artifact scanning yet, wizzard is still working out some of the kinks. but is working fine for over clocking, and the voltage changes allowed make overclocking sweet.

im burning in my x1800xl @ 600/630...then im going for 625/650 which is where im hoping to get with this one, i dont think ill make it but im going to get close!!!!

ps oh yea.. thermltakes GPU water block fits nicely ;) maxing load @ 49c...would be cooler but im running mu cpu in loop with my gpu

Flash

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  8. flashnc

flashnc Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    hey Rich_Guy........ how ya liking the motherboard so far????? any glitches at all....ive been waiting to get the A8N32 deluxe-sli and using this msi for now..( which by the way has actually impressed me a little, takes 9x300 no problems..anyways ive beeen looking towards the rdx200 or the sapphire board also..

Flash

9. MrPhyX

MrPhyX Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1800 XT 512M GDDR3 PCI-E
    I used the ccc overdrive thingy to turn up the GPU clock to 690 and the memory up to 1600 with no probs at all .
    I am sure it will go much higher with some better tools like ati tray tools or something?

10. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I gonna have a go today I'll let ya know how I get on....

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its a cracking board, only probs i had was, when first putting it together it would'nt boot and kept powering off, but that was because i had my Ram in the wrong slots (has to be in slots 2, 4 (Orange ones :O ), and then when going in and out of the BIOS it would hang so you had to restart it, but if you chose to save settings it would still save, and also it would hang loading windows so had to reset again, but that all fixed now as all you had to do was disable USB Mouse/Keyboard support in the BIOS, so now you can go in/out BIOS, save etc... with no probs, and theres no more hanging, working perfect now, and if you have a USB Mouse/Keyboard they still work, so theres no problems there either. :D